Fabius Bile - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-10, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Fabius Bile

Having just finished the BA novel Black Tide, in which Fabius Bile takes a starring role, I was wondering how popular he is with CSM players. He's stronger and has more attacks than most, causes instant death, and his enhanced warriors must be pretty nifty. I, however, have never met him on the tabletop, so can't say how good he is. So, do any of you guys field him, and if so, how good is he?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-10, 10:03 PM
CO 3rd Thoth ACR

Capt.Al'rahhem's Flag is: USA

I am interested in the querry also as I am starting a CSM army based on Fabious and his enhanced warriors. I'm just starting to model and paint them so I haven't had a chance to play them yet.

I did find this very good post on Kirby's Blog:

http://kirbysblog-ic.blogspot.com/20...bius-bile.html

"Most wars are wars of contact, both forces striving into touch to avoid tactical surprise. Our's shall be a war of detachment. We are to contain the enemy by the silent threat of the vast, unknown desert...." T.E. Lawrence

Unrepentant Treadhead
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-10, 04:11 AM

Tzeen Qhayshek's Flag is: USA

He seems like that CSM independent character that no one sees very much.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-10, 04:28 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

There's at least one large discussion about Bile in the Tactics section. Suffice it to say, he's not very popular.

EDIT: Here you go.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-10, 06:39 AM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Generally any MeQ IC without a power weapon is bound to be a rare sight on the table. Although I have always wanted to make a army of super CSM's by combining enhancement with the icon of nurgle to make my CSM's T5 S5.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-10, 07:16 AM

Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

For me it's the lack of invulnerable save that would keep me from fielding him, (even though he has the feel no pain rule) and the uselessness of the enhanced rules for the other squads.

Being an IC, and therefore being able to be singled out in CC, (where he could do the most damage) it seems he can get whacked fairly easily with all those power fists/claws and melta weapons roaming the tables these days. Instant death hangs over his head pretty heavily. The rod of torment is one of the nastiest CC weapons around, but he only has a I4 and it isn't a power weapon to boot. Sure it can inflict instant death, but at a meager S5 attack, (meager for an IC with special rules and weaponry) he really isn't a MC killer or vehicle buster that many other IC's can be. Too many other IC's have I5 to beat him to the punch, (literally) in CC and can cause him to suffer an instant death too. With that needler he has he can be pretty nasty, being that it's assault3, but it has a shorter range compared to the bolters that the unit he inevitably is going to be attached too is going to have. It isn't a huge drawback, maybe not even worth mentioning, but can be one of those things that makes you go, "damn it" when he is out of range for that one important player turn. It also allows armour saves as it is only AP6. Kinda sucks really.

Points wise he is 50 more than a base demon prince, and only 5 less than Kharn who is a true CC monster who has a inv. save and better stats overall. So he sits in the middle of two choices that can be quite powerful on the table in the same points range.

The instability of the enhanced warriors can add a little bit of fun to an otherwise boring or repetitive chaos marine list, but I can see them being aggravating after a few games, or maybe even a few turns depending on the enhancements that were granted. Also, the enhanced rules can only improve standard chaos marines.

So you are left with standard chaos marines to experiment on, and they now become a CC based unit due to the fearlessness and increased strength. But now they are just about as pricey as berzerkers who excel at CC but do not have the furious charge like 'zerkers to make them a beastly CC unit. So why upgrade a unit to be CC orientated and yet not really benefit anything from them in close combat? With only serious drawbacks to suffer from an unlucky dice roll and no real noticable improvement to gain, why do it to begin with?

He seems to be all over the place with his rules and equipment and really doesn't fit in one category or situation better then the next. Is he a ranged unit or a CC unit? Were is he better used? He just doesn't have a set place in an army build that you can benefit from his use.

That's my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by Unforgiven302; 07-07-10 at 12:38 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-10, 08:02 AM
Classs's Flag is: Australia

My friend came across him in a tournement. He was taken out by an attack bike with a multi-melta.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-10, 08:23 AM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Also you can only enhance regular CSM's, not raptors or terminators.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-10, 10:53 AM

hellsteath's Flag is: England

Fabulous Bill used to be wicked tho this was in 2nd edition, tho my oppionin may be clouded by nostalgia (never a good thing) nowadays hes not so impressive.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-10, 12:40 PM

Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeValantine View Post
Also you can only enhance regular CSM's, not raptors or terminators.
I had to dust off the codex after digging it out from the bottom of a pile of books to double check... Yup, only bog standard chaos marines can be enhanced. Thanks Luke for clarifying that, I fixed my original post.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode