Does anyone really 'love' 5th ed.? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-04-10, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Does anyone really 'love' 5th ed.?

After reading this thread, I started to wonder: does anyone really love 5th ed., or is everyone just trying to survive until 6th ed.?

Not too many people seem to absolutely hate 5th ed., a lot of people think it's kind of ok, almost nobody seems to really 'love' 5th ed. like some people did 3rd ed.

I, personally, find myself in survival mode until GW get a more unified approach to 40k and quite like 5th ed. but see so much room for improvement.

Who loves 5th ed.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-04-10, 09:23 AM

admiraldick's Flag is: United Kingdom

i'm not sure i ever met a person who 'loved' 3rd ed (though i know a number who look back through rose tinted glasses at 2nd ed with fondness). from my experience 5th ed has been easily the most popular and agreeable edition of the game to date. the core game is certainly not without fault, but there seems to me to be a consensus that it is much quicker, simpler and more fun than previous editions.

it is, of course, let down by the rolling codex system, which has been a thorn in the side of the game since it started in 3rd. there are benefits to the rolling system (mainly no one is absolutely without a codex at any point) but the changes in design philosophy and lack of interest in updating some codexes seems to negate such benefits pretty quickly.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-04-10, 09:25 AM

KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia

Im happy with it.

There are a few things that are stupid (some cover save logic, wound allocation disrupting the flow of the game, etc), but in general i think its reasonable. It will never be perfect, but its reasonable enough as it is.
I wouldn't really care if GW released a 6th edition or just left it in 5th ed.

Just play the game and live with the rules.
If you dont like them, then play a different game.
Complaining about it on a forum (or to GW even) is going to achieve a whole lot of nothing.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-04-10, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

I agree with admiraldick, I think the rolling codex system is frustrating a lot of people because they can't make full use of their old armies in the new rules system. Maybe this is what stops more people loving it?
So, KoC fully agrees with my view on this, why no love? Some things are 'stupid' or go against logic, which frustrates people.

Is frustration a barrier to 'love'?
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-04-10, 09:37 AM

jaws900's Flag is: England

people tent to hate rules that handy cap there army, so getting the 5th edition just after your codex was made or so your rules have all ready changed and the way you ploay them(ya i know they would ahve taken the rule's into account, this is hyperthetical).

Alot of people conplaina bout cover etc but i feel it works. I have Aspergues syndrom so a simple rules would be great. just yesterdya i was helping a kid build an Army list for his new Tyranids and taking him thoguht it step by step. Some people find the rules hard or unfair. Personaly i find them to be "realistic" and "natural" and the fact that I could learn them makes it even better as it took me months to learn LOTR but about 2-5 weeks to learn 40k thoguht playing and reading.

"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

People i have turned into Chaos Spawn
Marneus Calgar
Pedro Kantor
Terminator Chaplin
Terminator Apothecary
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-04-10, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklove View Post
I agree with admiraldick, I think the rolling codex system is frustrating a lot of people because they can't make full use of their old armies in the new rules system. Maybe this is what stops more people loving it?
So, KoC fully agrees with my view on this, why no love? Some things are 'stupid' or go against logic, which frustrates people.

Is frustration a barrier to 'love'?
Well, i have never had the urge to stick my dick inside the rulebook, if thats what you mean.

post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-04-10, 09:41 AM

Calamari's Flag is: United Kingdom

Compared to 3rd and 4th, 5th is my favourite and I do really enjoy the game. There are a few niggles that need addressing so I would like 6th ed to be more like edition 5.5

Follow mine and Jam's 40K delusions at:

crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-04-10, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfCheese View Post
Well, i have never had the urge to stick my dick inside the rulebook, if thats what you mean.
It isn't what I mean, but thank you for being so frank with us...

What I mean is, there don't seem to be any gamers that feel passionately about 5th ed. in a positive way, people that absolutely 'love' it, it mostly just seems to be a grudging acceptance and an attitude of 'I suppose it is ok on balance but there are things in there that really piss me off', whatever those things might be. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

So far I think admiraldick's suggestion for this holds a lot of water. It almost feels like GW are missing a trick. As if they are on the edge of greatness, but something just pulls them back. Like getting to the end of a 3,000 piece puzzle and finding that 1 piece is missing: it might be a beautiful picture, and you have tried really hard to make it all fit, but in the end the frustration is a barrier to really loving it.

So frustration seems to be one aspect, are there any other obvious barriers to a passionately positive 'love' of 5th ed., rather than a grudging acceptance?
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-04-10, 09:55 AM

El Mariachi's Flag is: England

All my friends and I think it's the best edition by far. I no longer wish for the days of 2nd edition like I did through 3rd and 4th Once all the armies get an updated codex, there should be a lot less whining. Personally speaking, the part I'm most happy with 5th edition is that it got rid of a lot of 'gamey' rules in place of rules which just felt like they made more sense and more importantly, were more fun. 4th ed was quite a yawn fest with all its abstractions- if people really want a game like that they should play chess!

My 2 cents,

El

P.S. Just thought I'd add, 4th edition- now that was a frustrating game. Person A: "What do you mean I can't see your models, I blatantly can!" Person B: "Doesn't matter, this terrain is classified as size 1/2/3 whatever".
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-04-10, 09:58 AM

No system is going to be perfect though.

You could have a passionate long-term gamer design the rules to be absolutely perfect in their view, and 80% of other people will complain. Perfect in one persons eyes is flawed in someone elses.

The rules as they are now are perfectly reasonable.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode