Just thought I would share what I was pondering. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Doombreed's Flag is: USA

Default Just thought I would share what I was pondering.

Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted anything of real importance so I thought I would try to discuss something I was thinking about the other day.

While coming up with a new Khorne Beserker army list I started to breakdown how actual combat is worked out. Now I'm fully aware that the Warhammer universe is not like real-life but it seems that how they go about combat a little differently. For example when you are in the shooting phase it would make way more sence if a model/unit takes aim (picks target), fires (rolls to hit), sees if the projectile punctures the armour (opponent rolls his/her ASave), then see if the weapon actually damages the target (you roll to wound). Discuss and I will add my opinions to what I had thought of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 07:41 PM

The144thCadianPlatoon's Flag is: Canada

that is more realistic but i think they just did it the way it is because it's easier for the game. it makes the person shooting feel happier that they got wounds instead of just being shut down before they have a chance. idk

"Statistically, you will almost certainly die when assaulting a well-maintained fortress with a competent commander. You must strive to make your death useful."
-Training Manual, Penal Legion, Suicide Bomb Squads
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 07:41 PM

Azezel's Flag is: United Kingdom

The current method is quicker as the attacker doesn't have to give up the dice halfway through. That's all there is to it.

Player one does everything, then player two does everything.

Looking for a friendly wargaming club on the Isle of Wight? Drop me a line.

Sisters of Battle - The Order of Glory Undimmed - 2'500 Points | High Elves - House Cyredeth - 2'500 Points | Bretonnians - The Muster of Sir Jules Estelle - 3'000 Points

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 07:44 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

More realisitc it may be, but the current system is more streamlined.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 08:19 PM

the Autarch's Flag is: Ireland

i too have thought of this but ultimately most of my units never get armor saves anyway so i dont care.....damn bolters
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 08:21 PM

CursedUNTILLDEATH's Flag is: USA

I have thought the same thing for years. Its just simpler to have it the way it is guess.

"If there is any primarch who should have never been found, its Lorgar. Why? Two words. Hours Hersey"
"It was a 1......why was it a 1!"
Yes, I do play orks, yes, I do have quite a few boys on the table, and yes, it does take me a while to move them...got a problem with that...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 10:08 PM

HivefleetIngensus's Flag is: Canada

I thought that same thought less than a week ago, and did the math. Surprsingly, form what I got, the numbers don't change, and still cause roughly the same amount of wounds.

6 marines with bolters shoot at termagants.

Current method: 4 hits, approximately 2.67 wounds, ignores armour, so thats 2.67 casualties.

New idea: 4 hits, 4 wounds (ignores armour) , around 2.67 casualties.

Now, lets say they're shooting other marines, and there are more marines shooting. 10marines with bolters shooting at other marines (doesn't matter what type, as long as they are T4 3+ armour save).

Current method: (aproximately) 6.67 hits, 3.335 wounds, and 1.11 failed armour saves.

New idea: (aproximatley) 6.67 hits, 2.22 failed armour saves, and 1.11 wounds.

From what I get, it always results in the same amount of casualties either way. As far as I can see the math is right, but if I am wrong, please correct me.

But yeah, I like it better the way we have it now. One guy does what he needs to do, then the other guy does what he needs to do. Instead of one guy rolls, then the other does, then the first guy rolls again. Its simpler the way we have it now.

Trollbloods: 16 points of awesome
Tyranids: 2000 points

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 10:20 PM

Calamari's Flag is: United Kingdom

What I think is strange is the fact that if cover doesn't stop a shot, it will increase the power of the shot to the point where armour is useless. For example:

A guardsman with carapace armour goes to ground from a bolter shot. He fails his cover save and dies immediately, his armour could stop the bolt but why doesn't it do anything?

Follow mine and Jam's 40K delusions at:

crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 10:44 PM

HivefleetIngensus's Flag is: Canada

I guess it's so that the game doesn't take forever, since even a normal marine will become extremely hard to kill. 4+ cover save, then a 3+ armour save, could potentialy stop a bucketload of shots. Imagine a TH/SS Terminator. 4+ cover save, 2+ armour save, then a 4+ invulnerable save. They'd be unkillable.

It would take so very long to just kill one model, there would be very few casualties in a standard game. It'd be crazy.

Trollbloods: 16 points of awesome
Tyranids: 2000 points

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 11:19 PM

Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
What I think is strange is the fact that if cover doesn't stop a shot, it will increase the power of the shot to the point where armour is useless. For example:

A guardsman with carapace armour goes to ground from a bolter shot. He fails his cover save and dies immediately, his armour could stop the bolt but why doesn't it do anything?
40K physics, plain and simple.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode