Surviving in 5th Ed. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-10, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Death Before Dishonour

WarlordKaptainGrishnak's Flag is: Australia

Default Surviving in 5th Ed.

Dunno if this sort of this is about or not, so if it is simply point it out. Righto, tonight while I was reading this I began thinking, the way people handle 5th Edition are all unique for different people. Things like where they play, who they play, how often they play, what army they use, how they use it and what Edition codex you have.

Personally I havent played 5th yet, dread that I havent and will soon hopefully get into the fray again to do so.

However, I am interested to know how people survive 5th edition. 5th Edition seems to me to be heavily tiered towards the Mech list or the Horde list, with something in the middle being 'frowned' upon. Not sure if this is a GW thing that they started, as both Mech and Horde get them bucket loads of loot for these types of armies.

So I want to get some feedback from you, the populous of Heresy-Online, How do YOU survive Warhammer 40,000 5th Edition?

A checklist of sorts;
-Do you use a 5th Ed army?
-How often do you play?
-Do you have different styles of lists for different armies?
-Do you utilise different tactics against different armies?
-What playstyle do you use?
-Others you may want to add...

I just would like to see a general census of how you, the members, deal with 5th Ed and how it flows.

Grish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-10, 12:06 PM

KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia

Mech up.

Anything that can go in a transport, put it in a transport.

Spam lots of anti-tank to kill the opponents vehicles, while still having volume of medium-strength fire or combat to kill the opponents infantry thats inside.

Pretty basic really.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-10, 01:24 PM

jaws900's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarlordKaptainGrishnak View Post
A checklist of sorts;
Yes i do but i have had little choice as i started about a year after the 5ht edition came out so i don't know much aobut the other editions other than from word of mouth
-How often do you play?
When i can but my ususal opponents are my mate Tau which is normally 2 games each month. Otherwise it's often little kids during there holidays.
I don't like using Mech armys really. My Eldar army has no Tank and even then at 2000pts only has 3 walkers. My Marine are is filled with Drop pods and Dreadnoughts but agian no tanks. My 1000pts Blood Angles list has 2 Raiders in it but thats about it and my other army is Nids so suprise suprise...no tanks there.
Nortmaly the same tactic for each army however small changes are made hyere and there. Agianst Tau or guard i will try to close the gap quickly but agianst Orks i might hold back first and let them come to me.
What ever i find fun really
I'm noramlly fine with the 5th edition. the only thing i do find annyoing is that Necrons and Dark eldar still have a 3rd edition codex!! that and my main army(eldar) still has a 4th edition codex and i would like to see an update tho i doupt it.

"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

People i have turned into Chaos Spawn
Marneus Calgar
Pedro Kantor
Terminator Chaplin
Terminator Apothecary

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-10, 02:01 PM
Bleh

Marneus Calgar's Flag is: England

Quote:
A checklist of sorts;
I play 2, Chaos Space Marines, and Space Marines (I like power Armour ;) )
Quote:
-How often do you play?
Around twice a month, usually against Dark Angels or Space Wolves (although I want to play more armies)
Quote:
Yeah, for my chaos marines I tend to think about more CC since they are CC based. For my marines, I tend to go for all around shooty.
Quote:
Yeah, I tend to think differently for both my armies, Chaos is always shoot and take em out in combat. Marines is if I can't shoot 'em up, then I won't attempt getting into combat.
Quote:
Chaos - Extremly Mech. Every Unit that can has a transport has one. I also think about CC a lot, I have a few Berzerkers which are kitted out nicely.
Marines - More shooty, I don't tend to take transports for my normal marines (perhaps thats why I don't survive...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-10, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Death Before Dishonour

WarlordKaptainGrishnak's Flag is: Australia

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-10, 04:47 PM
CO 3rd Thoth ACR

Capt.Al'rahhem's Flag is: USA

Yes, I basicly only play IG and they have a 5th Ed. codex (which I'm still not very fond of, except the addition of more tank varients, 4th was better in my opinion)

-How often do you play?

Since the new codex came out I've played 5 or 6 games, plus a couple Apoc. & kill team type games. I've been playing more recently, about once a month or so.

I use pretty much the same list for everybody. I've been working on a Mech. Guard army since 3rd Ed. My minimum FOC (1 HQ & 2 Troops) are generaly always the same, a CCS & 2x PCS + 2 Squads, all Mech., one with Capt. Al'rahem. Their weapon & equip. loadout has been set since 4th Ed. and doesn't change often. I believe in fighting with what you got & making it work, one example would be not switch out my plasma guns for meltas even though everyone thinks there better in this Ed. The rest of my army is made up of whatever tanks I have modeled and painted. As I compleat more of them I have more options and as of now I have 2 of most of the LRBT varients plus a couple Devildogs, a Hellhound & 3 Griffens . I'm working on converting some Hydras and Manticores. So I have some flexiblity in the FA and HS section, with which I can change my list around for different games. I usually just change it to try new things and not to fight a spacific army.

My basic Tactics are generaly the same. The CCS, 1 Platoon with Hvy Weap. & any Artillery form a stationary firebase on or near the home objective. My armor & fast attack forms a spearhead and charges at the enemies objective. Al'rahems platoons outflanks and makes a mess of things &/or goes after the which ever objective needs to be captured more. As the say goes "No plan survives contack with the enemy", so I adjust as needed for terrain & enemy. In one recent game against all DSing Nids I did a kind of circle the wagons with guns pointed out tactic, which worked relatively well but ended up in a hard fought loss.

My play style is based on modern armored cavalry tactics. Find 'um, Fix 'um and destroy 'um.

-Others you may want to add...

As a major Treadhead the move towards all mech. armies doesn't really bother me, I love tank on tank combat. As I have more tanks then I could ever play in a normal game my army is pretty much set up to play Apoc., which I try to play when ever I get the chance. I like the addition of Spearhead but haven't got to play it yet.

"Most wars are wars of contact, both forces striving into touch to avoid tactical surprise. Our's shall be a war of detachment. We are to contain the enemy by the silent threat of the vast, unknown desert...." T.E. Lawrence

Unrepentant Treadhead

Last edited by Capt.Al'rahhem; 06-27-10 at 04:50 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-10, 06:26 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

At the momment I play space wolves..... So I believe the answer would be yes. Lol

-How often do you play?
Not too often tbh. I have a very small group, 3 guys, and one of them has build maybe 4-5 models in about a year so really it'd only 2 of us. I play from time to time but maybe 4 games a year or so.

I tend to stick with one style of list but it changes from time to time depending upon what I want to do.

I use cc shock and awe tactics with LF fire support on most armies.

Same answer as above.

-Others you may want to add..
nope. Lol

Last edited by gen.ahab; 06-27-10 at 06:29 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-10, 07:53 PM

Lord_Murdock's Flag is: Canada

Yes, I use Orks and Imperial Guard.

-How often do you play?
I play as often as I can, but that still only comes out to two or three times a month. I'm hoping to play a bit more now that I have more time.

Very, especially with my orks. I'm working on getting to that point with my guard as well now.

-Do you utilize different tactics against different armies?
I try to. I mean, I can't normally go up against a chaos army with tactics I'd use against tyranids. That just wouldn't work well, and probably wouldn't make sense. However, the 'core' of my tactics is normally the same. With the orks, I just zoom forward with all my trukks and battlewagons, with looted wagons and lootas providing fire support from the back. With the guard I normally put a platoon of troops at either side of the board, with anything that should have a good view of the entire board (tanks, for example) in between them, and artillery in the back. Then they all just stand there and shoot. I once had a pretty epic gunline battle against my friend's Tau like this, I don't think either of us moved a model once lol. But, my multitude of lascannons and basilisks eventually won me the battle!

I try to create a playstyle that matches the fluff of my army. Competitive? Probably not. But fun? Definitely. For example, if I can't find adequate cover for my guardsmen, then it's time to use one of my 'redshirt' squads. They are just bare-bones, un-upgraded infantry squads that I use as 'mobile cover.' Cruel, yes, but it matches the elitist feel I've tried to give my mordian army.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-10, 08:17 PM

I play Blood angels, played them since the 3rd edition codex and my general style of competitive list has always revolved around 3 units - 2 10 man assault squads with jump packs, one squad in a transport. Before it was a tactical squad in rhino, then a terminator squad in crusader, now I mix it up a bit.
For casual games I usually mix up my list completely, going full mech, full infantry, full DSing troops all over the place and i find them all pretty good.
I get to play maybe a game a week which is nice, basically a different player every week of the month too.

I adapt my tactics to face different armies but only slightly will I do that. For example going up against a superior CC army I tend to hold back until the enemy is close by then charge out with everything I have to overwhelm them, against superior shooty armies I hug cover and use certain units as gun-sponges to allow my assaulty units to take them out easily.

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-10, 08:57 PM
Curiouser and Curiouser

I play necrons and space wolves so one yes and one no.

-How often do you play?
I played a lot in my last semester of college but recently I have not been able to play this summer. My number of games played will up a lot when college starts.

Yes. My necrons are all destroyers and monoliths with as few warriors as possible. I play every strength of theirs to my advantage due to their weaknesses in this edition. My space wolves a run a gunline but it's not too bad. I really do enjoy fielding units like lone wolves and bjorn and such because they are just too damn cool.

Well I can't very well use the same tactics against every army I face now can I! I suppose my necrons stay fairly static in their tactics because I always put my warriors as far away from anything as I can and use the monolith to control LOS.

I don't enjoy hth that much so I design my lists to be ranged usually. The only thing in my necron force to be in melee will be my deciever and in my space wolves force the only things are my lone wolves and occasionally my grey hunters.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode