Surviving in 5th Ed. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-10, 09:13 PM

Dragearen's Flag is: USA

-Do you use a 5th Ed army? I play DE and Nids, so one.
-How often do you play? Nowhere near as often as I'd like. It's very irregular.
-Do you have different styles of lists for different armies? I try to use a different list as often as possible, so yes.
-Do you utilise different tactics against different armies? Aye.
-What playstyle do you use? I sometimes switch playstyles around, but usually I'm a fan of mobile armies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-10, 11:07 PM

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think the rush to mech has been interesting, but have not seen a huge amount of it around here. I don't do anything 'human' in 40k, but if I did I would try the 5 LR list just to max out the cheese. Tough tanks that can kill other tanks and then have units with 2+ saves assaulting out of them...

I have 2 5th ed. armies, neither have much or anything in the way of tech (Daemons and Tyranids). I mostly play Tyranids at the moment, but I play them in a style-over-function way (almost all Warriors and MCs). With my Necrons I have enough models that I can field every legal FOC combination, and I try different setups quite often to fine tune strategic concepts. (Important to be aware about the differences between Tactics and Strategy)

I played at least 4-6 games every week with one army or another until about a month ago, but have been too busy in the last few weeks.

I always play the mission, adapting tactics as required. The adage that 'no plan ever survives contact with the enemy' jigs quite well with the newer one of 'if the plan is working then it must be a trap!'.

I often switch play styles, but I never make random lists - everything always has to have a purpose.

Last edited by darklove; 06-27-10 at 11:09 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 12:55 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarlordKaptainGrishnak View Post

-Do you use a 5th Ed army?
I use the Blood Angel Codex for my Flesh Tearers and I have a Daemon army too (though I haven't played with it recently).

Quote:
-How often do you play?
About twice a week, give or take.

Quote:
-Do you have different styles of lists for different armies?
Nope. I use a single list for each point level, so I have one for 1,500, 1,850 and so on.

Quote:
-Do you utilise different tactics against different armies?
Absolutely. It'd be foolish not to adapt to one's foe. With my Flesh Tearers what mainly changes is how aggressive I am with my Assault squads. Against armies like Imperial Guard, Tau, most Codex Marines lists and the like I'll be aggressive and shove my assault units down my opponent's throat, where against armies that can beat me in close combat like Orks, Tyranids, Chaos Space Marines and so on I'll hang back and use my firepower to soften things up and then go for the kill.

Quote:
-What playstyle do you use?
My Flesh Tearers are heavily mechanized - I use a lot of transport vehicles with supporting armor.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 01:37 AM

I've just got a decently sized Eldar army, about 16,000 points worth. Their the only army I have but between all the possible list combinations I haven't had to play the same list twice except for a few times. It is getting a bit more common now days though, as I tend to get a couple games in a week.

I don't mind Meching up, but I have had quite a bit of luck with my Wraith units and Warp Spiders. My methods against/with any given army/list may change as that is just what is called for. Any week I can expect to play: Eldar, Khorne CSM, Nurgle CSM, Space Wolves, Catachan, Tyranids, Salamanders, Ultramarines, Sisters, Necrons and rarely Dark Eldar. We have a nice variety I think, so my tactics cannot afford to be set in stone.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 02:07 AM

Weirdboyz's Flag is: Canada

Do you use a 5th Ed army?
I play Eldar and Chaos Marines. So nope.

How often do you play?
I play in a local league that meets once a week. So I usually get 2 games per week, unless work doesn't allow me to attend.

Do you have different styles of lists for different armies?
I try and mix it up a little, but I still try and stay mech. My Eldar list is getting fairly close to being a true all-comers list. My CSM is still a grab-bag, with it changing to some degree every week. Think I almost have it where I like it. ;)

Do you utilise different tactics against different armies?
I would like to say yes, but my opponents have a tendency to use similar tactics to each-other. A few of my regular opponents favor all-consuming death-star style units, like large numbers of Death Company or huge squads of assault termies. as a result, my tactics tend to be similar, as I face similar opposition regardless of what I bring.

What playstyle do you use?
I tend to play aggressively, in a 'make a hole at range, and then go for the throat' style of play. I tend to favor assault units over shooting (even with my Eldar). I have had mixed success with it, and I am learning how to reign myself in a bit.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-10, 05:04 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Do you use a 5th Ed army?
I play (mostly) Vanilla Space Marines, but I have all dex's so I mess around with all of them from time to time.

How often do you play?
I play when I'm able, sometimes once a week, sometimes once a month.

Do you have different styles of lists for different armies?
Not for different amies, but different moods. I played the other day against a guy who was playing his orcs for the first time in 5th after being out of the game for a while, so I went for whatever models I pulled out first (it didn't go well). Winning/losing isn't my main goal, it's to work out my own "perfect" list.

Do you utilise different tactics against different armies?
You have to. If I'm playing 'nilla SM I'm not gonna CC Nids or CSM. If I'm playing BA I'm not gonna shoot at IG or Tau.

What playstyle do you use?
I'm a casual player, so I tend to play relax'ed but there are times I play to win.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-10, 02:48 AM

coalheartly's Flag is: USA

I play Tau.

I try to play when i can at the local GW, probably about 2-3 games a month.
I end up mostly playing against, Vanilla space marines, so i dont ever have the opportunity to change tactics. i play a pretty mechanized force, pathfinders and most of my fire warroirs in devilfish, 2 hammerheads. and of course, shooty

“Here come the test results: you are a horrible person. That’s what it says. We weren’t even testing for that.”

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-10, 07:44 PM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarlordKaptainGrishnak View Post
-Do you use a 5th Ed army?
Yes. 5th Ed Necrons. Its definitely a change from 4th...
-How often do you play?
I enjoy the hobby more than the game, but I play once every week or two.
-Do you have different styles of lists for different armies?
I do. I use a different army for SM than I do for Tau, and such.
-Do you utilise different tactics against different armies?
Of course. I'd get slaughtered if I didn't. I cant tackle an IG tank wall and a Green Tide the same way.
-What playstyle do you use?
I try to abuse my durability while I get in shooting range, using a sort of passive/aggressive defensive attack.
-Others you may want to add...
Necrons in 5th are a lot different from 4th. Everyone just sticks everything in metal boxes and scoots around the board. My turn takes ten times longer because in my movement phase I have half a hundred models to move, where they have seven or eight. Even our formidable vehicle annihilating power, the almighty Gauss rule, was stripped from us with the advent of 5th, making our guns completely ineffective in 5th. It used to be I could blow up a land raider with a shot from a single Warrior (Which I did once, causing a smurf player to nearly have an aneurysm), but now, a squad of 15 has to use all their shots just to immobilize it, and maybe destroy it in a gaustacular hail of glances. I'm hoping the new codex fixes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode