Games Workshop summer campaign - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Games Workshop summer campaign

I dont really know where to ask this, but does GW still run those Summer Campaigns? If they do, I have not heard a shit about it, so are they or not, cause that would give me something to do during the summer, as I really dont get all that many games played it nothing is happening around here...

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 09:14 PM

Nope, haven't in a couple of years. The last was the Nemesis Crown for fantasy two or three summers ago.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 09:23 PM

Azezel's Flag is: United Kingdom

It costs a big pile of money for them to run it and doesn't make nearly as much back, it's just not worth it for GW...

Sad but true.

Looking for a friendly wargaming club on the Isle of Wight? Drop me a line.

Sisters of Battle - The Order of Glory Undimmed - 2'500 Points | High Elves - House Cyredeth - 2'500 Points | Bretonnians - The Muster of Sir Jules Estelle - 3'000 Points

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 09:53 PM
Bleh

Marneus Calgar's Flag is: England

They are doing a "Summer of War!" thing this summer. But its pretty crap, cause all it is, is just a load of games or learn to paint. I never tend to go, because its same old same old.

And its full of annoying little sods.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 10:44 PM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marneus Calgar View Post
They are doing a "Summer of War!" thing this summer. But its pretty crap, cause all it is, is just a load of games or learn to paint. I never tend to go, because its same old same old.

And its full of annoying little sods.
The OP is talking about the worldwide summer campaign events.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 10:48 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azezel View Post
It costs a big pile of money for them to run it and doesn't make nearly as much back, it's just not worth it for GW...

Sad but true.
a big pile on money?........how expensive is it to say "this is campaign X, here is a crappy map drawn by jervis johnson....go play now" and then fake the results so SPESS MAHREENS win, no matter what they were doing.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 10:49 PM

El Mariachi's Flag is: England

Yeah, the last 40k one was the pretty poor medusa V one. It's a shame, people always complained they were fixed, that other players cheated blah blah blah. I always enjoyed the feeling of taking part in them and miss 'em a lot!

Cheers,

El
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 11:06 PM

Azezel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
a big pile on money?........how expensive is it to say "this is campaign X, here is a crappy map drawn by jervis johnson....go play now" and then fake the results so SPESS MAHREENS win, no matter what they were doing.
Whilst I cannot claim to be an expert, what I posted is the responce alweays given when that question is asked - it is given by people who work for GW as well as veteran gamers.

It is easy to believe, too. GW has a stable of in-house writers and artists, and a pool of freelancers.

The in-house mob must be paid whatever they are working on - when they are told to write a campaign (fluff, rules, army lists, artwork etc) they go do it and get paid the same as they would if they spent the time writing codices and supliments.

The campaign information is combined into a book which must be printed and distributed. A few people buy it, but not nearly as many as would buy a new codex or supliment.

GW must register an maintain a website for the campaign, and pay someone (several in fact) to mannage and run the campaign.

At the end, all they have to show for it is the cost of that book that no-one bought...

It's just not a viable proposition compared to what they could be doing. I wish it were.

Looking for a friendly wargaming club on the Isle of Wight? Drop me a line.

Sisters of Battle - The Order of Glory Undimmed - 2'500 Points | High Elves - House Cyredeth - 2'500 Points | Bretonnians - The Muster of Sir Jules Estelle - 3'000 Points
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Sad face , I really wish that I could once have taken part in a campaign like this, I got my hands on the Medusa V booklet along with the White Dwarf full of Vostrayan background this winter, and it made me want to take part in the campaign... Who was the winner of the Medusa V campaign? I never found anything regarding that on the Interwebs...

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 11:45 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
and a pool of freelancers.
actually I find that close to impossible to believe
Quote:
The in-house mob must be paid whatever they are working on - when they are told to write a campaign (fluff, rules, army lists, artwork etc) they go do it and get paid the same as they would if they spent the time writing codices and supliments.
well obviously they must be paid, thats the whole point in working, but surely they can find time for there writers to stop writing SPESS MAHREENS ARE TEH AWESOME!!!!, long enough to write even a piss poor campaign
Quote:
The campaign information is combined into a book which must be printed and distributed. A few people buy it, but not nearly as many as would buy a new codex or supliment.
why does it have to be printed in a book?, just print it in white dwarf like they used to do, it might give people a reason to buy it to keep up with the campaign, heck its not as if the campaign books they have done were thick anyway or useful.
Quote:
GW must register an maintain a website for the campaign, and pay someone (several in fact) to mannage and run the campaign.
GW already has a website, they can put results on that, and they don't need to manage it, heck the only time they manage what they have is to increase the prices, and running the campaign would come down to individual stores and there staff.
Quote:
At the end, all they have to show for it is the cost of that book that no-one bought...
a book they would not be required to print, so it would be there own fault.
Quote:
It's just not a viable proposition compared to what they could be doing. I wish it were.
and what could they be doing?, its not time consuming, the only bit that would take time is making the campaign sound plausible enough to happen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
Sad face , I really wish that I could once have taken part in a campaign like this, I got my hands on the Medusa V booklet along with the White Dwarf full of Vostrayan background this winter, and it made me want to take part in the campaign... Who was the winner of the Medusa V campaign? I never found anything regarding that on the Interwebs...
http://deletionpedia.dbatley.com/w/i...title=Medusa_V
in short, shock surprise, imperials won..............again

Last edited by Stella Cadente; 06-26-10 at 11:48 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode