New edition please. - Page 8 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 10:08 AM

I dont generally do personal attacks and agree that everyone has a right to their own opinon. However I have to admit Stella does have a habit of showing up in boosts, tearing it apart in a "end of the world' type appraoch

I do hope i'm wrong and I really believe Stella is an intellgent person who can and has offered solid innsight into various discussions, but sadly this does not appear to be one of them.

Also in response to the post above me, I love 5th edition. Thats right i've come out and said it. I maybe a majoirty or a minority but I really do enjoy it. 4th Edition was all about lascannons and anyone vechile was oblierated (hell even my Monolith was no match for 10 lascannons a round). This edition vechiles are where they belong. I do not like or agree with all the rules but then you wont with any edition. But I sure anit boring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 10:57 AM

Underground Heretic's Flag is: USA

Having only started playing 40k with the introduction of 5th edition, I can't speak about how it stacks up to 4th, 3rd, etc. To me 5th simply is. In some ways it is difficult for my beloved Tau, in some ways we could wait until 6th comes out for a new codex, but 5th is simply 40k as I know it. I'll admit I've had some moments when I'm just as frustrated with GW as anyone. But when (if) Tau get a new codex, I'm sure there will be parts I will have no problem with but others will do Chicken Little impersonations over.

The point is to get the most fun out of your hobby time and money. If that means playing to win every game or painting like there's no tomorrow, do it. That includes venting on the internet. Let's remember this is the internet: we probably won't ever meet each other physically, no one will (should) be in your face and/or threaten you. If you disagree with someone feel free do take either of the following actions: IGNORE THEM (this is the internet) or Rebut their argument with one of your own based on facts in a polite manner.

Now let's get back to ripping up or defending 5th and not each other, folks.

That which doesn't kill me has made a tactical mistake.

Rites of Battle Your source for 40k opinions, news, and hobby updates.
post #73 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 12:30 PM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackalMJ View Post
Also in response to the post above me, I love 5th edition. Thats right i've come out and said it. I maybe a majoirty or a minority but I really do enjoy it. 4th Edition was all about lascannons and anyone vechile was oblierated (hell even my Monolith was no match for 10 lascannons a round). This edition vechiles are where they belong. I do not like or agree with all the rules but then you wont with any edition. But I sure anit boring.
It's certainly your right to like 5th ed (and anything else). I don't like it, but that's just me. For me 4th > 5th, but 3rd edition was king. The fact that it was the edition that brought me into this hobby is probably part of the reason I like it so much.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...

post #74 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 05:48 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT40k View Post
please, post a link to where you've said something constructive that wasn't whiny...
why?, your the one who wants to know, go do it yourself, or be like every member and claim you have read all 4312 of my posts and have never been positive or helpful in my entire existence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT40k View Post
I'm sorry you don't like tanks... I SUPPORT YOUR RIGHT TO NOT LIKE TANKS.
when did I say I don't like tanks? (I do an armoured battlegroup for christs sake that will have 12 TANKS (not transports) in it), like I said mechanised armies in 40k have very little to do with tanks and more to do with transports, and I don't hate either, I hate how everyone shovels mechanised down your throat like its the ONLY way to play and if your not playing mech your an idiot, and if your not playing army X your an idiot, and if you play army Y you can never win.....and your an idiot.

Last edited by Stella Cadente; 06-26-10 at 10:45 PM.
post #75 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 06:54 PM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosRedCorsairLord View Post
Lets face it, 5th ed is not fun. It's boring, it's predictable and it's devoid of any large variance. On the outside it's still 40k, but it's missing it's heart and soul and everything else that separated it from the pack of mediocre miniature games. Now I need to go throw myself off a roof for being so lame.
5th Edition is plenty of fun. I've had more fun with 5th than I've had with any other edition of the game (been playing since early 3rd edition). There's plenty of variance between armies. Just because mechanized armies are the way to win in this edition doesn't mean that everyone is playing them. The only time you're really "forced" to play a mech army is if you're intending on playing competitively with a strong list against equally competitive people with equally strong lists. To top it off, there are more and more non-mech builds becoming available. Tyranids are one army that you can't play mech with even if you wanted to and the new Blood Angels Codex offer an array of different builds.

The only reason that it seems like the game is "Always mech, all the time," is because of the single failure of discussion forums - the same information ends up recycled dozens and dozens of times and new ideas don't really manage to make their mark. Check out people's blogs and one will see a lot of new ideas. Kirby's blog as well as the infamous Yesthetruthhurts.com are just two places to find the most "modern" ways of thinking about 40K. For anyone that feels that 40K has degenerated into mech vs. mech, please check out these blogs. A breath of fresh air is extremely, well... refreshing.
post #76 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 07:11 PM

Any game like this needs imagination instead of copying other ideas too. Just for giggles I ran an all tactical squad BA list, 4 squads, only 2 with transports and my anti tank was devastators. It did surprisingly well. The game is mainly mech because people who first played mech lists annihilated normal lists and people adapted to that by bringing their own mech, eventually people will start bringing infantry heavy mech stopping lists and the game will turn into that. Everything on the face of the earth evolves. Warhammer is just one of them too. people will just have to stop regurgitating the old mech lists to make the game more balanced and I can honestly see that happening already with a lot of footslogging lists doing well in my area.

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
post #77 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 09:26 PM

solkan's Flag is: USA

I don't really want a new edition yet. I'd just like 5th Edition, Second Printing, the result of a roving gang of copy editors and play testers breaking into the GW building and fixing all the little stupid problems. The little things, like nice rules saying that units should be deployed in coherency; or explaining whether or not a unit in close combat while in cover that gets hit by a ranged attack somehow gets cover saves.

Anyone want to go on an editing rampage?

Fight for freedom against the undead Emporer!
post #78 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-27-10, 11:35 AM
Death Before Dishonour

WarlordKaptainGrishnak's Flag is: Australia

I'd gladly veto any attempt to do anything to 5th bar a FAQ until all codices are more or less up to date, 4th Ed codex armies can still manage, though they may be starting to struggle, its 'The Forgotten' we need to worry about, the codices stuck back in 2nd and 3rd Edition.

So essentially as it has been said before, hopefully before we see a new rules edition we get Dark Eldar, Daemonhunters, Witchhunters, Necron, Tau, Black Templar, CSM new codices, then maybe 6th Ed. Orks really dont need a new codex in 5th as their codex was made late in 4th with 5th in mind, so they can happily tot along until 6th IMHO.

Other than that, if 5th bother you, you can either adapt your army, try expanding the circle of people you game with, (at extremes) get a new army, change your tactics.
The two most important things to remember are what your taking in your list and how your going to use it.

Grish.
post #79 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-27-10, 03:31 PM

Asmodeun's Flag is: Australia

I wouldn't doubt that that crap would happen around here if we had the money for it. As it is I think this ed it pretty, considering.

Blueberry coffee tastes as good as it sounds.
post #80 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-27-10, 08:04 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Drake View Post
5th Edition is plenty of fun. I've had more fun with 5th than I've had with any other edition of the game (been playing since early 3rd edition). There's plenty of variance between armies. Just because mechanized armies are the way to win in this edition doesn't mean that everyone is playing them. The only time you're really "forced" to play a mech army is if you're intending on playing competitively with a strong list against equally competitive people with equally strong lists. To top it off, there are more and more non-mech builds becoming available. Tyranids are one army that you can't play mech with even if you wanted to and the new Blood Angels Codex offer an array of different builds.

The only reason that it seems like the game is "Always mech, all the time," is because of the single failure of discussion forums - the same information ends up recycled dozens and dozens of times and new ideas don't really manage to make their mark. Check out people's blogs and one will see a lot of new ideas. Kirby's blog as well as the infamous Yesthetruthhurts.com are just two places to find the most "modern" ways of thinking about 40K. For anyone that feels that 40K has degenerated into mech vs. mech, please check out these blogs. A breath of fresh air is extremely, well... refreshing.
Gotta agree with Katie on this one, she hit the nail on the head. Copy/paste players bore me to no end at my gaming tables. Kirby's blog does rock btw.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode