New edition please. - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-20-10, 12:04 PM
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Holy fuck. I saw that new edition please title and got a boner.

Couldn't agree more.

40k 4th edition = 100 or more games in 3 years...
40k 5th edition = 6 games in 2 years...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-20-10, 12:55 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

5th Edition really has been consistently made of shame and failure, in my opinion. It's playable, as long as everyone's being responsible and not going "Hm, I want to be as big of a douche as possible and make this only fun for one of the two people playing today." Battle Missions went a long way towards restoring the playability of the system, I think. However, the actual core mechanics of 5th Edition aren't the problem, by and large. Kill Points are retarded in the extreme, but otherwise, the system isn't what's broken. The Codecies are consistently leaps and bounds ahead of one another, and seemingly are built with power gaming specifically in mind. The mentality of the game seems to be "newest best" in the extreme, and that's the sign of poor games design. I'm not sure how much a new edition of the game would actually fix that, short of doing a cold reset ala the release of 3rd Edition.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #43 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-20-10, 03:09 PM

Kirby's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus View Post
5th Edition really has been consistently made of shame and failure, in my opinion. It's playable, as long as everyone's being responsible and not going "Hm, I want to be as big of a douche as possible and make this only fun for one of the two people playing today." Battle Missions went a long way towards restoring the playability of the system, I think. However, the actual core mechanics of 5th Edition aren't the problem, by and large. Kill Points are retarded in the extreme, but otherwise, the system isn't what's broken. The Codecies are consistently leaps and bounds ahead of one another, and seemingly are built with power gaming specifically in mind. The mentality of the game seems to be "newest best" in the extreme, and that's the sign of poor games design. I'm not sure how much a new edition of the game would actually fix that, short of doing a cold reset ala the release of 3rd Edition.
The newest released books have been anything but, that's much more like what older books were like. At no points has GW produced books which have been able to produce so many balanced lists which are different in playstyles and competitive across books. Although the common opinion is IG and SW are the best books (which weren't the latest releases btw) the other new books and older books with certain builds (i.e. Eldar, DE, Tau, WH) compete very well.

There are a lot more viable lists out there than in previous editions (i.e. Rhino rush, tri-falcon, etc.) and when you pitch balanced lists against each other there is no "douchery." Clt40k has it right when he points out if someone brings a good and balanced list they find it boring (generally at least, there are the occasional douches) playing against bad lists because the game isn't fun. What would you rather watch, a closely fought battle or a wipeout? 5th edition brings a lot of balance to the game in terms of army composition not just through the codecies but through the core rules emphasising mobility.

post #44 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-20-10, 03:28 PM

Cato Sicarius's Flag is: United Kingdom

My mistake about that argument Stella.

And about that, well, if they're really treating you that badly I assume they have some reason to, y'know? You get the odd douche now and then, but very rarely do you get them in groups, so common sense would suggest you being nice you result in them being nicer.
post #45 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-21-10, 12:01 PM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

i like 5th ed. but 1 thing wtf is point of being fearless anymore when you take double wounds from being outnumbered or loseing a combat round thats just retarded and make s no sense

post #46 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-21-10, 05:42 PM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpore View Post
i like 5th ed. but 1 thing wtf is point of being fearless anymore when you take double wounds from being outnumbered or loseing a combat round thats just retarded and make s no sense
Because when the Fearless troops are getting their asses kicked their lack of a sense of self-preservation becomes a disadvantage.
post #47 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-21-10, 05:52 PM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

i still its stupid the combat round is over there is no reason to be takin extra wounds im sorry it made more sense that a fearless unit just never had to check for morale. I love WH40K with a passion and i may never stop playing but sometimes GW puts out something makes no sense like the old persue rules in 3rd. by far the best edition the game that was around was 2nd and i feel honestly they should bring it back to its roots and just rework this old system screw focusing on dummyfieing the the game so kids can play straight most kids today are smater than many grown ups out there.

post #48 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-21-10, 10:01 PM
Ask me about Pins

CLT40k's Flag is: USA

The biggest problem with the 40K game system is that not all choices are created equal. If you could take a dash of Fire Warriors + dash of Kroot + an Etherial + vespids and have a good list then that would be one thing. But it's not. There exists a situation where I can have a very good list and you can pick all crap. So when we play it's not a very fun game for either of us cause one side is at an OBVIOUS disadvantage.

But - whos fault is that?

I would argue that it's your fault. Quit being stupid. It's like saying you don't want to play my football/Rugby team because all our guys are too big and we're obviously more fit... so we should play down to your level to have fun... That logic will NOT hold up in the real world.

I would also say that it's GW's fault for making so many bad choices in each codex. I would love to see cool swooping hawks. I would LOVE for Vespids to be cool.... But until they do something on the table other than show off my painting skills, they most likely won't have a place in my lists.

The ray of hope (as Kriby points out above) is that with the newer books, you're getting more an more good builds....
post #49 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-22-10, 11:19 PM

Congratulations everyone, you made the Friday Night Internet Fight this week over on Dick Move! Take a look and laugh at your stupidity...

And I'm not going to add in my two cents seeing as Kirbs and CLT40k have both made the correct ones and still no ones listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorothis View Post
Thou shalt not become a crybaby when the Gods turn their gaze away from you and thou rolleth ones like they areth earning thou money. Thou shalt acccept thine defeat and implore the Gods that they may go easy on thine arse next time.

Last edited by Raptors8th; 06-22-10 at 11:27 PM.
post #50 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-23-10, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

quachill's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus View Post
This parallels my thoughts very closely. The Codecies are particularly out of wack. Of course each new codex is being written so that players of that army will have several new must have units that have new models for purchase.
I don't begrudge GW for going after profit but they seem to care far less about game balance than they use to.

I hope for 6th Ed that they do go for a cold restart like they did in 3rd Ed.
Heck one more round of codicies and every unit in the game will be fearless with feel no pain and 3+ melta type weapons.

"Governments can be useful to the governed only as long as inherent tendencies towards tyranny are restrained"- God Emperor of Dune, Frank Herbert

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode