New edition please. - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-18-10, 04:33 PM

Tzeen Qhayshek's Flag is: USA

The OP isn't treating it like a life or death situation. Just frustrated. I am sure we all know how that is.

No need for that treatment. The OP is just a gamer that cares about his hobby and having fun.

The next person that says "it is just a game" needs to pause and reflect. If it were just that, there is no way we would pay as much as we do "just for a game." If I didn't care, I sure as hell would be spending my money on something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-18-10, 04:51 PM
The Apathetic one.

comrade's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

-Shrugs-

I have no need for tanks, nor do I have to worry about them

I have enough Imperial Guardsmen on foot with enough special and Heavy weapons to field an all foot army up to 3000pts.

And I love it when the opponent starts the games with a "Oh, no tanks? This should be easy"

Finished with a

"You were cheating, there is no way you could field that many troops with that many heavy weapons."

oh... just Glorious.

The more you spend on Transports and vehicles, the less you can spend out-fitting your infantry.

post #33 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-18-10, 05:12 PM
Ask me about Pins

CLT40k's Flag is: USA

So Grizbe... You're saying that the mark of a "powerbuild" is the Rhino? And if you HAVE to take a rhino, then you're clearly not a good player and you only care about "power" rather than fun..... Thats just crazy talk.... just crazy talk.

I think we can all agree that the game is about having fun. And what I hear you saying is that my way to have fun with the game is wrong because I think it's fun to compete with my friends and actually care about the result of the game. (caring makes it more fun) That's the way people have fun in pretty much all organized sports. There is a goal, we compete for it, at the end you shake hands. Please help me understand how being competative is wrong cause I think you're just sounding whiny?

Nobody likes to play an obnoxious jackass... A douche with a competative list and a douche with a bad list is still no fun to play. But not because of thier list... but because they're a douche...

post #34 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-18-10, 05:19 PM
Ask me about Pins

CLT40k's Flag is: USA

Hey Comrad, what if the game is followed up with a "Hey man, good game... Those infantry sure are a tough fight for my Rhino powerbuild..."

What if your opponent dosen't accuse you of cheating... still havin a good time?

There are lots of builds that don't rely on Mech... Kirby mentioned a few. But at the same time, there are a lot of good builds that do rely on mech...

If sombody called you a cheater cause they got beat. Or that they made fun of your list before you played. Those are the actions of a tool... but are unrelated to their models...
post #35 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-19-10, 01:42 AM

A lot of these replies are reminding me of the good ol' BoLS article a while back that complained about competitive players and how they "enjoy smashing a noobs list and rubbing it in there face." They don't. Quite frankly, it's boring as fuck when I'm playing a balanced well though out list and someone else is playing a poorly written list that can't handle it. Stomping all over someone and tabling them is not what I want to happen. It's boring, and leaves me feeling unsatisfied and them feeling like a looser and accusing me of "power-gaming" for having a decent list that can take all comers. I'd much rather lose to someone who's actually playing a good list because then at least it's close and I've had to try. If you don't want to have to put up with people using Rhinos then don't go to a place where people use Rhinos(good luck finding one)! If you have a local group where the standard is to never work towards having a good list then that's fine, but don't expect it to be like that when you go somewhere else. When you're at someones place, you play by their standards, so if you don't like their standards then don't go their, but stop whining about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorothis View Post
Thou shalt not become a crybaby when the Gods turn their gaze away from you and thou rolleth ones like they areth earning thou money. Thou shalt acccept thine defeat and implore the Gods that they may go easy on thine arse next time.

Last edited by Raptors8th; 06-19-10 at 01:45 AM.
post #36 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-19-10, 08:05 AM

so what ive gotten from this is..you dont like mech armies and while you have the ability to counter this you dont want to....best way to describe this is taking a lasgun to a bolter fight
post #37 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-19-10, 10:41 AM

bishop5's Flag is: United Kingdom

As an imperial guard player, I have a god-given right to use as many damn tanks as I can fit into my army - 50-odd point chimeras? Mmmm... tasty.

Having said that, you could just, you know... make your own scenario that doesn't involve tanks, or agree to play with 25% more terrain...?

Tactica: Infantry Platoons
Quote:
Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.
Orson Welles
Forum Rules
post #38 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-19-10, 06:10 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
@Wusword77; SW TWC is essentially a foot SW list using thunderwolf calvary (inc. Iron Priests & Wolf Lords), long fangs, fenrisian wolves and grey hunters. tailoring is never good, you can run a balanced list which can handle mech, MC, bikes and hordes without having to tailor. Classic example I always use is I brought my Mech SM to the table a lot against a mate. After a few games against his sisters he brought so many meltaguns it was ridiculus (but in odd spots, like 4x mguns on Dominions). Brought Mechdar & later Nids and there were a lot more problems because of his lack of anti-horde. You can build balanced lists which don't need to be changed and this is what tournament lists are about.
Kriby, thanks for explaining the TWC SW list, though it never dawned on me for Thunderwolf Calvary (I wish we had a face palm smiley for this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT40k View Post
Wusword... It's the story about the old bull and the young bull....
Young bull - Lets run down there and have us one of those cows...
Old Bull - Nah son, lets walk down there and have them all....

I don't think list tailoring is going to make you better... But if you design a really tough all comers list... then you'll play well against all diff types of armies. Some you'll just flat out own.. and some you'll struggle with.. but you'll have a shot at eveyone across the board.
Regards to the "tailoring" of the list it's something he can do to offset his issue of mech problems. I agree that fully taloring your list is never a good idea, but if everyone is playing mech adding a little more anti-mech isn't really a bad thing. If he's runing 33% of his list as anti tank (thats a lot in my opinion but whatever) and is still having trouble I'd run 40%.

Lists don't make you a better player it's your skill on the table that determins that, but a good general uses all his resources to win, not just what he wants to use.
post #39 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-19-10, 11:43 PM

Cato Sicarius's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
which shop?, if your referring to an GW I dont play in them because there all full of wankers and WAAC players who do actually all happen to play mech (along with cheating like its going outta fashion)

then do a tank army, mechanized has a focus on transports, not tanks.
Two things here: 1) which shop would this be? I seriously hope that's an exaggeration (from the looks of most of your past posts, it probably is).

And 2) Oh, so now we're distinguishing between tanks and transports are we? I seem to recall you argued something along the lines of "A Razorback with a Twin-Linked Lascannon is a Tank because it has a big gun." Yes, I believe that was it, whereas I actually looked at the book and noticed that a Razorback is a Transport regardless of weapon choice.

Quote:
oh of course and that, I can't stand walking into them these days if I need to get a pot of paint or summit, having to hold your breath as some staff member treats you like a 5yr old (without the molestation) and tries to sell you SPESS MAHREENS when all you want is devlan mud and to piss off so you can breath.
You see Stella, I am a 14 year old boy. Despite my relatively young age I still manage to have intelligent conversations with the staff at my GW, and do you know why? Because I'm actually friendly. I don't walk in, insult everyone based on their choice of list, walk up to a store manager and say "I wanna buy this." like I own the place.

I walk in, I go to what I want to buy (saying hi to people on the way), pick it up, take it to the counter, the bloke says "Is that all? Would you like some glue or something?" I say "No thanks, I have glue.", he sells the product to me, and I walk out of the store. There is no "Buy [insert generic product here]!" The most I ever get of that is when I actually ask for it, and then they just give helpful advice. It's just a friendly conversation between two people who actually show some respect.

You may say: "Well that's just your store!" But it's not "just my store". As you can see from other people in this thread plenty of stores are actually friendly as long as you don't take the attitude of "Strangers are evil and you should never, ever, ever make friends."

So next time Stella, be nice. Say "Hello". Watch a game and interject with your opinion now and then. Don't just barge in and think you know everything about everyone, because quite often Stella (as I myself have learned in the past on numerous occasions) you don't.

One last note: I bathe quite regularly. I usually smell quite alright. When I walk into a GW store... I smell nothing different to anywhere else. It smells perfectly fine. I really don't know what you're on about.
post #40 of 95 (permalink) Old 06-20-10, 12:41 AM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato Sicarius View Post
And 2) Oh, so now we're distinguishing between tanks and transports are we? I seem to recall you argued something along the lines of "A Razorback with a Twin-Linked Lascannon is a Tank because it has a big gun." Yes, I believe that was it, whereas I actually looked at the book and noticed that a Razorback is a Transport regardless of weapon choice.
thats really how you remember it is it?
Quote:
I also wouldn't ever bother with the twin-linked lascannons, its not a tank, so it shouldn't be used like one, just buy a predator with a turret lascannon to roll forwards with them.
Quote:
Actually, according to the rules, it is classed as a Tank
Quote:
I was referring more to basic common sense, not rules.

no, its a transport, with more firepower than a rhino that carries a small unit that works great when rolling around with a rhino with a full squad.
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...617#post618617
Quote:
I don't walk in, insult everyone based on their choice of list, walk up to a store manager and say "I wanna buy this." like I own the place.
really?.....whats that gotta do with anything I said?
Quote:
Don't just barge in and think you know everything about everyone, because quite often Stella (as I myself have learned in the past on numerous occasions) you don't.
good job I never said I do that

if your gonna try and start an argument with someone, try to look a little less like a clueless prick by getting your facts right, and making points that make sense, or correspond with things I actually said.

Last edited by Stella Cadente; 06-20-10 at 12:48 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode