Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

I hate metal minis. Got a story? Tell it.

2K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Sytus 
#1 ·
I absolutely hate metal minis. They are the most annoying things in creation.

When you buy they they come either bent, broken, or covered in bits of extra metal.

Secondly they are the hardest thing on the planet to pieces together. Super glue takes forever to get a good grip and even then arms pop off in any kind of accidental falls. The fact they are heavy so they hit harder does not help the matter.

Third, they are difficult to model, you practically need a hacksaw or a blow torch to get what you want out of them.

Finally, the paint chips easy and they bend and over time, snap.

I know one of the main reasons they make the metal minis is because those certain models are not bought as often as others and it is only cost effective to make plastive models in large quantities, opposed to small numbers of metal ones. I dont understand the economics behind it but I know the theory non the less.

So this leads to the quest. What is some of the funniest/most annoying/devestating metal mini accidents that has happened to you. I will start with mine.

On numerous occassions, despite what my opponent and friend thinks, I have accidently bumped a chaos sorcerer from a table, sending his arms shooting under furniture.

My second story is when a friend of mine was looking at my METAL DREADNOUGHT (whoever thought THAT was a good idea should be shot) when he picked it up he didn't realize it was gonna be heay and dropped it, breaking both legs and an arm.

My favorite accident happened when I picked a friend of mine up and we loaded all our units in the back of my car. I had my box of Space Marines in an open tupperware bin due to lack of top technology =P. Well he was looking at my recently reglued (due to the previous accident) dreadnought. As he leaned over to the back seat, picking it up I hear a horrendous grash of plastic pieces. Immediately after I hear him say "I did a baaaad thing" in the voice of a citcome kid who just broke a window. I couldn't stop laughing at that. The fact that my Dreadnought killed more marines than his Tau Army would that upcoming battle didn't matter. I rarely get angry and none of these accidents cause me anger, just a bit of annoyance at the metal pieces for being so weighty and clunky. Not to mention the numerous touch up paint jobs I had to apply.

See less See more
#2 ·
Zoanthorps...the worst of all metal figs. Large head floating on a whisper thin tail. So top heavy the AC can knock one over. Best death...Someone bumps the table. Zoan topples over and hits two metal gargoyles. All three break.

#4 ·
My second story is when a friend of mine was looking at my METAL DREADNOUGHT (whoever thought THAT was a good idea should be shot) when he picked it up he didn't realize it was gonna be heay and dropped it, breaking both legs and an arm.
Your friend broke both legs and an arm because he dropped your metal dreadnought, and i thought you didn't get angry!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

#6 ·
well, after spending hours and hours converting then painting a Be'lakor model to be a tzeentch daemon prince, I finally finished it and took it to the living room to show my girlfriend. She grabbed it from the base and it came off, fell to the floor and shattered into around 15 pieces. I was like :shok:

but then I managed to fix him and he looks great again

#8 ·
Its expensive to do small runs of plastic models as the molds are expensive and last a long time whereas the molds for the tin ones are quite a bit cheaper but don't last as long.

As there is less call for the "special character" type models they're done in tin - its a more expensive medium but cheaper in the long run.

...as to my metal miniature horror story it involves a 2nd edition ravenwing landspeeder, a small flying base and a nosedive off the table when some idiot banged it. Ah the good old days...

#9 ·
Daemon Prince of Nurgle. Damn thing just won't fit! So hard just to get it to fit! The Khorne Prince is just sitting there on the shelf, watching me... Will be a while until I decide to open that thing up.

#10 ·
Ok, well this wasn't really an accident but I would always have games and small tournaments at my house. Which me and my friend's would always attend, well one day one of my friends brings over this kid whom he had met at the local GW.

He seemed kinda sketchy in his games constantly checking and rechecking his ranges, but when me and him finally got around to playing I realized that he would always move his men up a little bit farther so he could shoot or charge farther than i could. And he did my personal favorite: He's able to rapid fire me but next turn i was miraculously out of charge range....yeh, ok.

Anyways to the point. After about an hour of him blatantly doing this right in front of me, my Great Unclean One became the Flying Unclean One and that kid's face was the landing zone. He broke into a million pieces but it was so worth it.

Needless to say, he never came around again.

#19 ·
Flying Unclean One goes to priceless.com.

I had...still have a siting Lord of Change...that damned thing.

#11 ·
I spent £12 on Skulltaker and his entire head and back was warped.

Zoanthropes tend to be fuckers, and I also hate the fact that Metal marines seem to be a little be smaller in build than plastic ones.

Oh, and all the metal terminators from pre-plastic sets, they were so tiny.

And don't forget the fuckery that was the last Hive tyrant model...oh damn that tiny pelvis and massive noggin.

#12 ·
I was dismayed to discover, only when opened the box, that my plague marines were metal.

Took forever to glue them and sometimes arms still come off. Unlike the models on srpues, they have NO options of special weapons or different hAt least eads or whatever. Just six guys with bolters and one with a plasma gun. No power fists, no meltaguns.

#17 ·
I was at my local bunker in L.A. and this Asian kid Henry starts showing up and he is going on rampages throughout the store. He's broken my sentinel, somebody's land raider, a stompa twice, and recently a kid's demon prince. We had a white shield's meeting, and unfortunately this kid shows up. He picks up some guy's daemon prince during a game, out of nowhere and drops it. It breaks into every piece it could be broken into.Luky it was metal cuz a plastic model would have been wrecked.

#20 ·
I *loathe* metal models.

I'm pretty sure every model in my Chaos Daemons army was metal. I'm also pretty sure there are at least three dents in my wall from me putting it together.

It would always start with my hand drill bit breaking, it would continue like this:

"Hey look, my Bloodthirster is done!"
Bloodthirster's wings fall off.
While reattaching wings, bloodthirster's legs separate from his body.
While reattaching legs, head and an arm fall off.
While reattaching arm and head, a wing falls off.
Bloodthirster flies through the air and slams into a wall, returning to it's more natural, unassembled state.
I put together some plastic Bloodletters instead of a 'thirster. I smile while doing so.

And to top it all off? GW just announced plastic daemons a month after everything was done. Sigh.

#21 ·
Penitent Engines!!!!!! Had to reassemble the (expletive deleted) things three times while priming them! Is there any wonder I carry a small first aid packet with superglue and zip kicker?
Then there's the OLD pre-pewter spearman whose soft metal spear looks more like a speartip on the end of a Water Wiggle ( there I go dating myself again).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.