I need help chosing a new army. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-10, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

I need help chosing a new army.

I started playing warhammer 40k about a year ago and started off playing space marines (me and a friend bought assault on black reach sets and trades orks for marines) But ive grown bored with space marines and am looking for an army thats based more on my interests now rather than the one thats the cheapest choice. Ive grown bored painting space marines doing the same schemes over and over again so in short im looking for an army that has an aggressive play style and is fun to paint and has room for me to add my own touch to armor and / or uniforms. I was thinking chaos space marines or eldar and right now im leaning twords chaos because it has a lot of fun fluff and the painting seemed fun because I could just say my units are from different cults and paint them however I want rather than just straight blue and gold of the ultramarines i started with. Im open to all suggestions even perhaps some ideas to spice up my love live with the space marines again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-10, 07:37 AM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

You could go with Tyranids. They let you choose your own colour scheme, and you can choose to go swarm or overload on the big monsters (Trygon Prime, Trygon, Mawloc, Tervigon, Tyrannofex, Swarmlord/Hive Tyrant, etc), and you can even have a combination of the big monsters and the swarm aspect. Anyway, I was in the same position as you earlier this year and I ended up going to Chaos breifly before the 'Nids.

However If you're going to choose between those two, go with Tyranids.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-10, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane_of_Kings View Post
You could go with Tyranids. They let you choose your own colour scheme, and you can choose to go swarm or overload on the big monsters (Trygon Prime, Trygon, Mawloc, Tervigon, Tyrannofex, Swarmlord/Hive Tyrant, etc), and you can even have a combination of the big monsters and the swarm aspect. Anyway, I was in the same position as you earlier this year and I ended up going to Chaos breifly before the 'Nids.

However If you're going to choose between those two, go with Tyranids.
I was thinking about them because ive seen some amazing paing jobs people did with nids but i had a hard time geting into their background, they just kinda eat stuff which doesn't really speak to me.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-10, 07:47 AM

chaos (to me at least) has alot more character than loyalist marines. You also get to paint all the horns and spike and do conversions that don't make sense.

I can read your mind. Right now you think I'm lying.

games from August 2009 - now
w/d/l
21/4/6

Check out my black legion W.I.P

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 01:32 AM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

Chaos does have far more opportunities for varied conversions and painting. They are also a more aggressive army. They do sound like they fit your criteria.
I will throw in a vote for nids too. They can be awesome fun.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 03:33 AM

Arkanor's Flag is: USA

If you want a lot of conversion friendly guys, Chaos could be for you. They'd probably be my first recommendation as they're both very aggressive. CSM play different than loyalist SM, but I don't know how much different you want, they are still guys in power armor with a few extra tricks for the most part and tend to favor CC over shooting. (flame shield on)

If you like having lots of color schemes, consider Eldar, they can also be made out to very aggressive if you value speed over durability.

'Nids just got a new codex and can run either way. Their guys have less individual "moddability" than Marine variants will have, but I think they have viable and fun CC/rush and shooty builds available to them. They're also significantly different to play than Marines.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 04:18 AM

Black legion chaos, eldar, and crusade force marines are the most fun to paint. Chaos, eldar, guard, and inquistion are fun to play. Whatever you do, don't go crons, they're boring as hell besides their fluff which is beast. Good hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorothis View Post
Thou shalt not become a crybaby when the Gods turn their gaze away from you and thou rolleth ones like they areth earning thou money. Thou shalt acccept thine defeat and implore the Gods that they may go easy on thine arse next time.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 08:45 AM
description whore

deathbringer's Flag is: England

I would go eldar personally
You dont like painting paints schemes that are similar well every eldar unit is different and can be painted accordingly whilst you gain excellent and very interesting fluff and a great variety of units ranging from the cc experts to the excellent shooters.

If your bored of painting marines then I think you should go for a total change and try some xenos... plus eldar tanks look fantastic and the chaos marine codex is in all pretty shocking

kudos to lillian thorne for the awesome sig
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 08:51 AM

XxDreMisterxX's Flag is: USA

Chaos is definatly a good choice! death to the false emperor and BLood for the blood God!!

( thou i find that orks are rather hilarious and fun because there the less serious out of all 40k armies.)

"Imagination is for turbo-nerds who can’t handle how kick-butt reality is… I am a kick-butt reality master! I would rather die than be imaginative."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Ploss View Post
i'm quite proud of this statement of mine, and i doubt it'll ever be quoted: "This is Heresy-Online, not Fluffy-Bunny Online." yep, that's a good'un. write that down folks.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-10, 09:10 AM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

before you make a decision go to www.forgeworld.co.uk and have a look at their conversion sprus, theres some really cool stuff, will give you more options to think about, unfortunalty most of thier stuff is for sm, good luck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode