Good cross-army unit combos - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-10, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Culler's Flag is: USA

Default Good cross-army unit combos

Just for fun, what are some good cross-army unit/general army combos you can think of that would be good? I have an itch to play some team games.

Here's a little of what came to me:
-Farseer and damn near anything. Take one of the best support units in the game and partner it with things it shouldn't be. TH/SS terminators with fortune on them is sick and wrong, rerollable 2+/3++ saves means that they statistically have better than a 2+ invulnerable save and only a 2.8% chance of failing a regular save, which equates to failing one out of 36 saves or so. Similarly I'm fond of 30 slugga boyz with cybork body and grotsnik attached who with fortune for their 5++ save combined with FNP shrug off wounds better than marines (22.5% chance to fail a save vs a marine's 33.3% but not as good as a terminator's 17.7%) Fortune on a dark eldar archon with his 2+ invulnerable save would also be completely ridiculous with his ability to kill anything and 2.8% chance to take any wound at all.
Guide and anything that puts out a lot of shots is likewise awesome. I'm thinking guide + lootas would be pretty hot. On a good roll for # of shots a full squad can put 25 strength 7 hits on something. Mwahaha. A shoota boy mob would put out about 34 hits.
Doom does silly things for an IG mobbed infantry platoon that's doing first rank fire second rank fire. Assuming special weapons but not heavy and rapid fire range, they can put about 34 wounds against a toughness 4 targets, not counting whatever the special weapons do. That's flashlighting a marine or terminator squad right off the board. Blinkblinkblink.
Really anything that only works on a 5+ or 4+ gets a large benefit from rerolling failures.

-Straken and CSM. With their good Ld they will usually pass the check for counterassault to work and Straken's ability says it gives any allies within 12" furious charge and counterassault. With grey knights, he would make them strength 7 on the charge/counterassault, which while generally overkill is also hilarious. Could also be vicious for genestealers and banshees with their high initiative and good/decent Ld.
-Lash of submission and a typical IG tank complement would be vicious. Lots of pie plates and templates going into a nice little ball.
-Eldar Autarch and Astropath to give awesome reserve rolls for an all/almost all outflanking eldar/IG combined army. Alternatively, astropath would help any deepstriking army like daemons or SM drop pod army.

As far as general army combos go though, I would kill for some IG or Tau backup for my Orks. Really, just a unit of broadsides would do.

Thoughts on this or other combos?

Last edited by Culler; 01-04-10 at 10:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-10, 01:16 AM
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Phoenix Council + O'Shovah and Retinue. You could put them together and just about have room for a squad of Eldar guardians and a squad of Fire Warriors w/Devilfish in a 2,000(!) point battle.

But oh do they kick ass.

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-10, 01:50 AM

johnnymajic's Flag is: Canada

Fleeting gene steelers in a landraider, 12 inch movement, 2 inch deploy, base size, up to 6 inch fleet and 6 inch assault. This adds up to a possibly 26 inch assault, plus your base size, add a brood lord and you have one killy unit

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-10, 02:00 AM

Arkanor's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culler View Post
Here's a little of what came to me:
-Farseer and damn near anything. Take one of the best support units in the game and partner it with things it shouldn't be. TH/SS terminators with fortune on them is sick and wrong, rerollable 2+/3++ saves means that they statistically have better than a 2+ invulnerable save and only a 2.8% chance of failing a regular save, which equates to failing one out of 36 saves or so.
Thankfully the Eldar "assist" powers are limited to friendly Eldar (read: your own) units only.

You have a very dirty mind, sick and wrong indeed.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-10, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanor View Post
Thankfully the Eldar "assist" powers are limited to friendly Eldar (read: your own) units only.

You have a very dirty mind, sick and wrong indeed.
Awwww darn

Though with a stretch the dark eldar archon could be considered 'eldar' in the most flexible sense of the term (not the actual sense of the term, sadly), so the invincible archon could still be a go.

I do like genestealers in a land raider. I bet there are many other units out there that would benefit from a little armored protection on their way to get stuck in.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-10, 11:50 AM

Syko515's Flag is: USA

honestly if we're talking doubles tournament/friendly games a few nasty army combos my frined and I have found where as follows;

first tau and nids. this works best if its nids not orks or IG as nids are the middle ground of these two armies . tau shooting allows some superbly nasty things to happen to the opponents whilst the nids make a deadly CC wall infront of the opponents and blast away with boomfexes.

second was Necrons and CSMs. again almost for the same reasons above, except that the synergy is better here. and you can actually get both these armies in a 12" deployment zone.

last was our tournament doubles armies of Eldar and Thousand sons. with the eldar taking on much of the anti-horde aspect whilst tossing in a few super sturdy units, like scorpions and wraith guard, the Thousand sons make a line across the fragile eldar units allowing them a 4+ cover save for much of the game. with stupid eldar and chaos psychic abilities coming into their own and repaying the opponents 10 fold this makes for a dinamic duo of oddly epic perportions.

Ave Dominae Nox
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-10, 01:04 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

A while ago I actually spent an entire game with my farseer fortuning/guiding my friends Basilisk squadron... wasn't until after the game I realised it wasn't allowed!

If you *could* use 'Seer powers on non-Eldar, I think one of the silliest combos would be with Sisters... 6s to wound = AP1? Oh, and I re-roll wounds? Thanks, Mr Xenos person! Ooh, I'll make my Power Armour an Invulnerable save for this turn, would you mind letting me reroll it as well? Thanks!

Orky Big Mek with a KFF standing in front of a multitude of Nids is a good image as well.

Depending on how you rule it for transports, any open-topped transport + Banshees = yum. Oh, and Dark Reapers in a Chimera would be a bit sick too.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-10, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
Orky Big Mek with a KFF standing in front of a multitude of Nids is a good image as well.

Depending on how you rule it for transports, any open-topped transport + Banshees = yum. Oh, and Dark Reapers in a Chimera would be a bit sick too.
Big Mek KFF in a battlewagon with genestealers running alongside a normal Ork mech rush would be pretty cool. Giving that 5+ cover to the stealers could help them a lot with survivability.

Putting dark reapers in a battlewagon would work as well and they could start the game inside instead of having to embark. Much more costly though. Dire avengers in a battlewagon would be pretty sick as well because they would be much harder to kill and with a 13" move + 18" range they could really put some hurt out.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-10, 05:00 PM

Samir_Duran's Flag is: Poland

I think that mixed tactics like:
Chapter Master ( yesm the big template IS useful)
Tactical Space Marines, Tau fire warriors in the second line, Dreadnoughts and Broadsides in the last line... Ewentualy pathfinders and scouts withsniper rifles out in the wild.

Marines for their CC prowess and Tau for their great BS and guns... Look, they have the knly assault weapon that is pinning!

"Incompetence breeds even more incompetence..."
- Megatron
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-10, 11:38 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

No, wait, stupidest combo yet:

A Farseer on a jetbike joining a unit of 10 Nob Bikers. And you thought they were hard to kill BEFORE rerollable saves!

Any non-Tau army with access to Hammerheads would be scary... Such as Necrons. You just hide 2x Hammerheads behind a Monolith and laugh as anyone TRIES to get near it.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode