Psychic Powers v Nullification - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-24-09, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

NagashKhemmler's Flag is: Australia

Psychic Powers v Nullification

It may just be because I'm a massive fan of the thousand sons, but psychic powers seem to be a bit nerfed currently.

Eldar have a 3d6 leadership test which leaves you failing psychic powers about 55% of the time AND taking wounds, nids are getting a similar power (albeit at least it has a 12" radius), wolves can get a 24" 3+ nullify with a special char, 4+ with others, grey knights have a leadership test to nullify any power affecting them...I could go on and on....

Anyways, my point is that when comparing psychic powers, with the model they are on and the total cost of the vessel + powers that you get, it's just too easy to nullify psychic powers for some factions. I find that in the current edition, powers are too weak for the ease with which they are stopped. Considering that most psykers come in at around 200pts for most (meanwhile for around 60pts eldar can grab a farseer who will completely nullify your 200pt librarian or such (that is eithout anything apart from warding and base)).

Take the chaos dex, bolt of change is decent, but at strength 8, and only one hit it is hardly op....or gift of chaos, 6" from the start of your turn can be quite challenging to set up properly.

Ultimately my point is that nullification of psychic powers started out quite reasonable (psychic hood which gives you about a 33% change to dispel) then got ridiculous (take the test on 3d6, not even the highest two, just 3d6 and take a wound if you go over 10...).

The end result is that I almost never see actual psykers now in games of 40k, with so many easy and brainless options to counter them their usage is becoming less and less prominent.

My question is: Do people feel that the ability to counter psychic powers is too high currently or too easy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-24-09, 03:19 AM

XxDreMisterxX's Flag is: USA

Black templars have a vow which makes it so the whole army is not effected by minor psychic powers. and yes, with the right armies you can easily counter psychic powers with certain units. they should make countering psychic powers more expensive like pricing a Psychic up more or the ghost helm or other such wargear. there cheapness is what makes a very good choice and sometimes easy to nulify a very expensive psyker which might be the key point in a army. (especially Eldar, though i believe they have powers to counter other psychic nulifiers)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-24-09, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDreMisterxX View Post
Black templars have a vow which makes it so the whole army is not effected by minor psychic powers. and yes, with the right armies you can easily counter psychic powers with certain units. they should make countering psychic powers more expensive like pricing a Psychic up more or the ghost helm or other such wargear. there cheapness is what makes a very good choice and sometimes easy to nulify a very expensive psyker which might be the key point in a army. (especially Eldar, though i believe they have powers to counter other psychic nulifiers)
Unfortunately for the templars, there aren't any 'minor' powers anymore, they're all costed powers, the downside to an old book I suppose.

Well many countering abilities cost around 10pts or so, which is rediculously cheap, so cheap that one wouldn't consider NOT taking it!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-24-09, 03:38 AM

yeah. its only going downhill for psykers because of gamesworkshops efforts to put regular and back bone troops back into the fray to make them more important.

and about the Black templars rule, if one still uses them how do they justify using that vow? do they consider all or certain powers minor depending on how many units they effect or how strong they are?

"Imagination is for turbo-nerds who canít handle how kick-butt reality isÖ I am a kick-butt reality master! I would rather die than be imaginative."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Ploss View Post
i'm quite proud of this statement of mine, and i doubt it'll ever be quoted: "This is Heresy-Online, not Fluffy-Bunny Online." yep, that's a good'un. write that down folks.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-24-09, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Because there are no longer any minor psychic powers it means their vow would be worthless.

That's the problem with the current way they release books, the rules are now mismatched and unbalanced. i.e. most chaos psychic powers aren't good enough to justify a 50% failure rate!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-24-09, 03:44 AM
Classs's Flag is: Australia

There is nothing in Eldar codex to counter psychic nullifiers. My Dark Angles and Blood Angles friends all have 4th edition psychic hoods that have unlimited range, space marines a limited range, which is a small blessing. Generally 4th ed codex's have underpowered psychics. This is looking at Eldar, and the dark/blood angles spells. Some of them can be good, but i have heard that the Space Wolves and Space Marines are really powerful.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-24-09, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classs View Post
There is nothing in Eldar codex to counter psychic nullifiers. My Dark Angles and Blood Angles friends all have 4th edition psychic hoods that have unlimited range, space marines a limited range, which is a small blessing. Generally 4th ed codex's have underpowered psychics. This is looking at Eldar, and the dark/blood angles spells. Some of them can be good, but i have heard that the Space Wolves and Space Marines are really powerful.
Eldar powers weak? I don't think so, re-rolls to hit, wound AND saves.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-24-09, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classs View Post
sorry for the confusion. i reread my eldar codex and i got Runes of Warding confused with it being able to block counter psychic effects, but all it does is block enemy psyker powers.

and most people dont even use anti psychic equipment against orks or imperial guard because it really aint worth it. ( orks psychic powers are funny when they mess up, and imperial's are more for their big guns and mass firepower then anything.)

"Imagination is for turbo-nerds who canít handle how kick-butt reality isÖ I am a kick-butt reality master! I would rather die than be imaginative."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Ploss View Post
i'm quite proud of this statement of mine, and i doubt it'll ever be quoted: "This is Heresy-Online, not Fluffy-Bunny Online." yep, that's a good'un. write that down folks.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-24-09, 08:32 AM

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

There are some races that don't use Psychic abilities at all, and pretty much don't have any defences against them either. Necrons and Daemons don't have any Psychic powers for example, they both suffer against Eldar and SM 'magic'.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-24-09, 04:03 PM

Necrosis's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklove View Post
There are some races that don't use Psychic abilities at all, and pretty much don't have any defences against them either. Necrons and Daemons don't have any Psychic powers for example, they both suffer against Eldar and SM 'magic'.
Oh yes your complaining abour daemons nothing having psychic powers. Tell that to the Grey Knight player's who can't counter their daemonic powers anymore since it's a gift instead of a psychic power.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode