Rhino or Drop Pod? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-10, 04:06 AM

crisissuitguy's Flag is: USA

The way i look at it, is that if you want marines to get somewhere early in the game, then you use a rhino.... but if you need a squad in the middle of the game, then a drop pod works well...and both being transports their costs is only ten points off. In my opinion a drop pod is better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-10, 05:16 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

For infantry, I'd take a Rhino (or even Razorback) every time. The only time I personally consider Drop Pods worthwhile is a means of getting melta Dreads and Ironclads up close and personal. For Space Wolves, Pods generally aren't needed for most units.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-10, 05:46 AM

Wilder's Flag is: USA

APC for sure. I like the mobility they provide.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-10, 09:33 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Drop pods are a hammerblow- they give you a guarenteed round of close range fire pretty much wherever you want it... but rhinos are more reliable through the entire battle. I will forever maintain that they are both useful in their own ways and should both be in an army for best results.

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-10, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argitist View Post
In the rhinos you can hold the troops or squad of whatever in it for extra protection.....and you can assault out of it (This is a huge plus against troop assault army's (like nids)).
Is this a SW thing or something thats been changed in a FAQ because my DA can't assault from a rhino neither can you in the SM 5th?
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-10, 08:33 PM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequila Stuntman View Post
Is this a SW thing or something thats been changed in a FAQ because my DA can't assault from a rhino neither can you in the SM 5th?
Anyone can as long as the Rhino hasn't already moved that turn.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-10, 08:37 PM
WFB Moderator

You can move, shoot and assault after disembarking from a transport as long as it hadnt moved that turn so far.

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-10, 10:42 PM

Fair enough I didn't think of that. But.....

I'm building a ork army and if you pull up next to me, without disembarking, planning to launch an assault next turn your going to get swamped by my boyz. You cant assault if you can't disembark and you cant disembark if every position within 2" has one of my orks close by. (Is that right?) With a bit of luck, even with stick bombs, I will get a least an immobilised result with even more luck I will get a wrecked then thats your unit gone.

I'm not arguing just for the sake of it. I've started getting back into the hobby after clearing out my folks loft just before Christmas and whilst I am building & painting I'm trying to re-learn the rules and work out strategies etc.

So.....for when I finish painting and then get to use my SM (almost done then I can concentrate 100% on my ork rock band, I'm building speakers and an mp3 player into a battlewagon ) Is it a good idea after moving a rhino within charge distance to leave the squad inside or are you better of disembarking and shooting with the whole squad.

Sorry OP if it seems like I am nicking your thread but its all transport tactics isn't it
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-11-10, 11:36 PM
WFB Moderator

Well firstly you dont tend to assault against orks... well ok, you do, but yu dont cross the battlefield in a transport to do it, you blast them to pieces then charge when they get close (at least in theory).

Against every army other then orks my SW tactics were to drive 3 rhinos accross the field about 6" apart, stop ~11" away form the enemy, spin round and blow smoke. The enemy can then either assault me (but not be able to block my side doors), shoot my AV10 rear armour with its 4+ smoke (and the only bad things that can happen are a stunned or a explodes with me being pinned) or retreat... if they retreat I just drive right up close and jump all my guys out and flame/shoot (old codex, couldnt do that with new codex unless an IC was in there).
30 BCs all being able to charge out of rhinos was pretty devastating, and its supprising how many people didnt bother to move the 3-4" back to escape the charge... ofc the few who did were then faced by 30 guys in power armour to kill before they could get into combat (at 14pts/model and with 3+ saves blood claws were totally evil when used on mass).

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-10, 03:31 PM

The_Lone_Wolf's Flag is: Great Britain

Please excuse Bane Of Kings (page 2) he is my bro and he is a bit of a $h'[email protected]

Literiture iz fleeting
------------------
Horus Heresy: Horus leads the largest warhost of Chaos ever known in the invasion of Earth. Roboute Gulliman and his entire Legion of Ultramarines are at the other side of the galaxy. Gulliman will later write the book on tactical thinking.

Last edited by The_Lone_Wolf; 01-17-10 at 03:34 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode