Need help with making a 2nd army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-08, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Default Need help with making a 2nd army

I haved a 1400 pt Space Marine Army and I'm thinking of making a 2nd army once my 1st army reaches 1500. I am planning on making it a cron, ork, chaos, ig, or witch/daemon hunter army (I've heard that Eldar/Dark Eldar armies are difficult to use effectively and I dislike the Tau and nids for some reason). Can you guys give me tips on which army I should pick? I want a cost-effective one that is good against other races and would be effective when allied with Marines in Apocalypse. Also tell me if you think I should reach 2000 pts or higher before starting a new army.

Sig made by Tau Chaotix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-08, 01:11 AM

Blackhiker's Flag is: USA

It mostly depends on what you like to play. Also if you go with the inquisition they can be an added force to your space marines until you get a large enough army by themselves.

Personally though I would suggest waiting until 200 pts to start another army that way you can participate in most tournaments while building your new army.

If a child asks how Santa lives forever, simply reply he drinks blood.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started to do the same thing to them at funerals.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-08, 07:50 AM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

Well I would go to 2000 points just to have a good tounement army ready to go.

To allie with you Sm army you could use IG or Deamonhunters that would be a natural fit.
Next I would say Chaos would give you a bit of a change.

I would not suggest Necrons, or orks since they would probably fall into that hard to use catagory with eldar and dark eldar. They require good amy composition,tactics and patients to use correctly. Plus coming off of using SM's you would be tempted to use the other army like SM's and they just don't work like that.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-08, 09:53 AM

Lord Sinkoran's Flag is: England

necron, cool minis, small armies so don't need to buy as much.

Violence is never the answer, it is the question, to which the answer is, yes
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-08, 10:16 AM

If you want a cost effective army that basically rules out the inquisition.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-08, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfangdakka View Post
I would not suggest Necrons, or orks since they would probably fall into that hard to use catagory with eldar and dark eldar. They require good amy composition,tactics and patients to use correctly. Plus coming off of using SM's you would be tempted to use the other army like SM's and they just don't work like that.
I never knew crons were hard to use. All the cron players I have seen have just blown up tanks with their destroyers and smash up squads in close-combat with a C'tan. Chaos player who's played for more than a decade lost in two turns to a cron force like that, AND the crons managed to destroy my predator with destroyers during those two turns (it was a 12-way free for all). However, I can see how Phase Out would be a problem, especially in 500 pt games.

Back on topic, each army has disadvantages that make me not want to buy them. The disadvantage for IG, Space Wolves, Dark Angels, and Inquisition is the fact that I already have an army that is allied with the Imperium and I'm really bored of having an army that shouts words of blind devotion.
Crons don't have much customization capability.
Orks are big, dumb, and too large in number.
From what i've heard chaos marines are just marines with spikes, extra overpriced troop choices, and different special characters.
And I just DESPISE nids and tau.

So basically I'm trying to find which army ISN'T terrible.

P. S. How is Inquisition not cost-effective? (besides grey knights, of course)

Sig made by Tau Chaotix

Last edited by Silb; 02-01-08 at 11:46 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-08, 01:40 PM

Truthiness08's Flag is: USA

I would wait until you reach 2000, and my suggestion is Necron although people are right, phase out is problem in low point games (i.e. 500pts - 1000pts).

you can buy the battle force box set for like 80 or 90 bucks and thats about half your force right there. good luck.

"Guess what, I gotta fever, and the only prescription, is more...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-08, 06:56 PM

Chaos! Because its the flipside of space marines. Second choice would be Orcs! Again, for the change of pace from Marines.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-08, 01:31 AM

Blackhiker's Flag is: USA

the inquisitors and their retinues are capable of doing practically anything that you would like to do.

Assassins are expensive point wise, but they are usually the best hitter of any type within the army. (I had a vindicare beat an entire unit of assaulting chaos marines by himself.)

Orbital strikes are a useful item to take out mass infantry and tanks

The sisters of battle are like marines, but have faith points which can do crazy stuff

and then there are the daemonhosts and arcoflaggelants. Used properly terminators should run from 1 of these creatures.

The armies in general are expensive for points and price, but they are a very elitist army. you can mess up a decent amount, but you will almost always be outnumbered in almost any battle. The only major weakness that I have seen from the inquisition is that they are limited in anti-tank weapons in most cases when they do not ally or induct other forces.

If a child asks how Santa lives forever, simply reply he drinks blood.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started to do the same thing to them at funerals.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-08, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhiker View Post
The only major weakness that I have seen from the inquisition is that they are limited in anti-tank weapons in most cases when they do not ally or induct other forces.
That shouldn't be a problem in apocalypse cause I would have marine missiles and lascannons to back them up. I may decide to make a grey knight army but the only problem is that it'll take me $80 to get two 5-man troop choices and the codex. Add an HQ and it costs more than a battle force to get a daemonhunter force started. Also, as I said before, I've started to get tired of armies that shout words of blind devotion.

Sig made by Tau Chaotix

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode