Tau Weapons and Upgrades - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-08, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Siege's Flag is: Australia

Default Tau Weapons and Tactics.

I'm trying to put a 1500pt Tau army list together. I've been reading the codex and it seems choosing the right weapons and upgrades, on XV Battlesuits and vehicles especially, is an important part of getting the most from your Tau.

I usually play Dark Angels, this is the first time I've even tried to put another army together, and the tactics and options available are quite different to what I'm used to.

Any advice is appreciated.

Please help Keak reach his full potential.

Last edited by Siege; 01-28-08 at 10:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-08, 12:36 PM

Blackhiker's Flag is: USA

It mostly depends on what units you want your battlesuits to take out.

fusion blasters, missile pod and plasma guns are good choices for taking out heavy armoured troops and vehicles.

burst cannon, cyclic in blaster, flamer, and the airbursting fragmentation projector are good weapons for taking out most infantry, but will probably not do anything to vehicles.

and always get a multi-tracker, hard-wired or not on every suit.

If a child asks how Santa lives forever, simply reply he drinks blood.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started to do the same thing to them at funerals.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-08, 04:27 PM

O'sharan's Flag is: England

Tau lists vary in 3 different ways

Mech - army only of -(suits any kind bar broadsides, HH, skyray, pirhana, devilfish, vespid, pathfinders)

Hybrid

Static - many slow 6" movement

Many people who have just started to play pick hybrid and get a feel for which direction they would like to go.

Many people go for Mech/hybrid including units like broadsides and kroot. In my opinion thats probably the easiest list to play with and do well. Pure Hybrid is a tough list to play with, but if you get a good set of tactics (type : fish of fury in google) it is easily the best and most rewarding type of tau list.

Static is a big NO NO, on the tournament scene- you will have to be prepared to give up some of your shooting for moving, as you have to think about deployment and your objectives really hard. This is least sucess full but by no means unuseable. NB: on the rare occasion if your only play sorta annhilation games this list is probably the best.

Units to watch out for- i.e. not very good

etherals
vespid
sniper drone team (unless its A: a static list and objective grabbing can be given to other units. or B: your playing an annhilation game)
pathfinders (one of the more less useful units in your army, army has to be built around them and that can be disastrous)

Gem units- i.e. hiden quality

Pirhanas
gun drones
skyray

A good tau army has to have a good army build.

remember a tau player may be tempted to spam list, i.e. 15 crisis suits, careful with this tau have many vunrablities and this will make them worse. even taking 3 HH's is not as good as 2HH's and a skyray.

when you desider what sorta list you want as for advice! tau have many possiblities armies have to suit the player style or it wil not work

FOR THE GREATER GOOD

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-08, 04:33 PM

O'sharan's Flag is: England

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-08, 05:03 PM

Culler's Flag is: USA

The fireknife suit is a popular and effective format for crisis suits (plasma rifle, missile pod, multi-tracker). I like 2 of these suits with a team leader who has a hard-wired drone controller and some shield drones. Shield drones are one of the best defensive upgrades available as wargear in all of 40k because they have the same toughness/armor and an invuln save and if they fail their invuln vs an instant death weapon, you still only lose the drone, the suit is totally unharmed. And it's an extra wound.

Stealth suits are best either with drone controllers and more drones than suits or with no upgrades at all. Fusion blasters are alright on stealth suits, but you have to be 6" closer to use them (important for the stealth field), you're not accurate with them, and they're not great against 4+ or better saves. Stealth suits are great for lots of anti-light/medium infantry stopping power though. 4 suits with 2 gun drones each is a 200pt squad with about 20 str 5 ap 5 shots, roughly 10 of which will hit.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-08, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Default Tau Weapons/Upgrades and Tactics.

Well, I'll be fielding several Battlesuits, mainly to kill tanks, because my Fire Warrior Squads should be able to handle most infantry.

I'm thinking a couple of Pirahnas and Devilfish, are Hammerheads really necessary?

I'll probably keep some Kroot handy, simply because if I'm playing at home my table has a lot of forest terrain, and it seems they'll work well in that situation.

Vespids seem pretty useless, but I thought Sniper Drones would come in handy...

Thanks for those links O'Sharan, very helpful.

My usual opponents play Tyranids, Eldar and Guard, and sometimes I come up against Necrons and Marines.

Last edited by Siege; 01-28-08 at 10:55 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-08, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

What do you think of using Seeker Missiles and Markerlights? I really want to get an effective list together before I play my first game with Tau but no doubt I'll have to make some adjustments to suit my own playing style and tactics.

Also, would you recommend Devilfish transports for all your Fire Warrior teams?

Last edited by Siege; 01-29-08 at 04:40 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-08, 05:16 AM

Frostbite's Flag is: USA

The most important thing to remember about Crisis Suits, is that they can be used one of two ways. They can either greatly enhance what you already have, or they can fill in the gaps that you are deficient in. For example, if you run a lot of Fire Warriors, you can safely deal with large numbers of lightly armored infantry, decent numbers of tough infantry and very light vehicles. So, you can either augment that with Burst Cannon equipped suits, or you can take Missile Pods and use those to pop transports or tough units. Take both weapons on a suit, and you've got both!

Or, if you are heavy on tanks (In say, a Mech list) and need some anti MEQ firepower, you can take Plasma and Fusion (Helios type) or Plasma and Burst Cannon (Bladestorm type). Both are highly effective against MEQ's, and even do decent against TEQ's.

So really, the best way to arm your suits is in a way that compliments your army, either by enhancing your already powerful "Whatever", or making up for shortcomings that aren't covered by "Whatever".

We live in fame, or go down in flames!

This is a game like real war, played against time, and played under circumstances of considerable excitement, and it is remarkable how elastic the measurements of quite honest and honourable men can become.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-08, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Cool, if anybody wants to check out the list I'm working on in the other forum, I'd love (and I need) some feedback.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode