Substituting?! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-08, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Siege's Flag is: Australia

Default Substituting?!

Okay, so I'm a pretty laid back gamer, I'm more into the hobby side of things but I enjoy a friendly game here and there. So last night, me and a couple of mates where setting up for a few of drinks and a game or two, when one the boys who plays IG pulls out some kind plastic box with a pen taped to it and explains that it is in fact his Basilisk. We often use house rules and such so I wasn't really bothered, it was roughly the same size and the bloke actually owns a real Basilisk (god knows where it was and why he wasn't using that) so whatever.

Well, the other guy who plays Eldar was flat out against the use of this plastic box and pen tank, he demanded it be removed from the table or he refused to play. He claimed that assembling and painting your models is what gives you the right to field them, blah blah blah. Even though the Guard player has an actual Basilisk, he wouldn't accept this, claimed it was unfair and that was that. He simply would not play.

So now I'm wondering, because I don't take the game has seriously as others, does he have a point or is he just being a bitch?

Would you let your opponent field a plastic box pen tank against you?

How would this kind of thing go down in your local store?

Please help Keak reach his full potential.

Last edited by Siege; 01-28-08 at 01:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-08, 01:16 AM

Culler's Flag is: USA

I would mock them and then roll with it, periodically cracking jokes about his proxies and trying to get a laugh from everyone.

That eldar player needs to remove the stick from his rectum. If it's fun, go with it. Drama and whining at your opponent for using a proxy = not fun. People seem to forget that fun is the most important thing.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-08, 01:25 AM

Syko515's Flag is: USA

i'm with culler, though i'm personally agenst myself using proxies i don't mind others doing it. epsially if they're trying to play test something before buying it. i say its ok. on a side note i find most eldar players to be complete pompus ass' and tend to ignore them...their army cheats anyways.

Ave Dominae Nox

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-08, 01:45 AM

Many, many years ago I used a box of junior mints as a vindicator to see how it worked before buying one. My opponent's only requirement was that if I ate all the mints the tank was destroyed, as the crew had all died. Sadly, I couldn't resist the delicious minty freshness and it died second turn. Damn my sweet tooth.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-08, 04:02 AM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

I'm with Culler, I have used some proxies in friendly games and you already knew that thisguy owned a real one, that maybe he just forgot it or it was in the middle of a huge conversion. The Eldar player does need to chill, just because he is playing a highstrung bunch of aliens does mean he needs to act like one as well.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-08, 04:16 AM

That's a little extreme of the Eldar player. His anger might be slightly more understandable if the other player was using a box for a model he didn't have. I might be a little ticked if he was using boxes for multiple tanks.

The only situation that I would even consider not playing the guy was if he was using, say a shoebox for a Titan. Or if he used the box tank repeatedly for a long period of time. But that other guy just need to chill.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-08, 04:19 AM
Katie Drake's Flag is: Canada

The Eldar player was just being a goof. He was annoyed that he was going to get blown to pieces by a Basilisk and was looking for a way out so he chose to attack the fact that it was a proxy model.

Kick 'em in the balls.

Katie D
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-08, 04:52 AM

Yeah, as long as it's near the same size/shape, and he actually knows how to use it or has one, I think it's fine. That Eldar player was probably just on his period anyway. And just to be nice, I would probably warn him before breaking my foot off in his ass.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-08, 04:54 AM

Steel Rain's Flag is: USA

break someone else's foot off in his ass. You'll need yours

Quote:
*sigh* I have to point out that despite what you see in games, lasrifles win wars. Just because lasrifles suck at killing superhuman killing machines in power armor does not mean that they are bad weapons. You are shooting them at the wrong targets. The most common enemy the Imperium faces is lightly armored humans armed with lasguns or autoguns, NOT SPACE MARINES.
-me
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-28-08, 05:04 AM

Sycoa's Flag is: Canada

As you said, kind of odd he didn't just bring the bassy he owned..but anyway. To the point, that was pretty uptight of the Eldar player. I'm kind of 50/50 on the proxy issue. If you have a 1500 game and you're army list you usually use, but let's say you know you're playing a Tyranid player. The night before you replace half your army with plastic green/tan army men and a few boxes for tanks just to optimize your list...thats a bit too far for me, and I'd probably still play if they were close to the same size, but still that's pretty poor gaming.

On the other hand, if someone doesn't have access to say Vassal, and they're playtesting a new tank before they buy it, I'd definatley be all for letting them use proxies, as there's little worse then spending 50 bucks on a tank you hate.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode