Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Dark Angel Rumours

11K views 78 replies 23 participants last post by  Lord Alkmie 
#1 ·
We've seen it before on other forums, I'm sure it'll spark up some discussion here.

HQ
Grandmaster – Azarael
- Wargear – Same as previous but with some amendments.

Belial – Master of the Deathwing

Sammael – Master of the Ravenwing
- Wargear Jetbike (armed with TL-Storm Bolters & under slung Plasma Cannon) and other stuff
- May switch to his Land Speeder in which case he now counts as a vehicle and wargear Shield of night now provides AV14 front and sides.
- If Sammael is included in a army one attack squadron may be upgraded to a Ravenwing command squad (Ravenwing standard bearer and Apothecary).

Company Master (Master of the 3rd, 4th and 5th companies)
- May take a five man command squad but doesn’t have to join them.

Ezekiel – Grandmaster of the Librarians
- comes with both DA Psyker powers plus Mindworm.

Dark Angels Librarian
- Pretty much the same as codex Space Marines except has two unique powers – Hellfire and Force Barrier (may not change them).

Dark Angels Chaplain
- Pretty much the same as codex Space Marines, may be upgraded to Interrogator Chaplains
- May take Terminator armour, bikes or Jump Packs.

Dark Angels Command squads (max 5 models) are a HQ choice but do not take up a HQ slot you can take one for IC but they do not automatically form a retinue and may separate.
- Fearless
- May only take a Company Champion Upgrade if a Company Master is part of the army

Elites

Deathwing Terminator squad
- Squad Size is five models (no more/no less).
- All members of the Deathwing are fearless
- Only one heavy weapon per squad (One assault cannon, one Cyclone launcher or one heavy flamer).
- Squad can include a mixture of standard and close combat terminators.
- Uses special rule ‘Deathwing Assault’ up to 50% of terminator squads may deepstrike in the first turn without having to roll for deepstrike.
- Terminators are cheaper than the old Dark Angel codex but more expensive than Codex Space Marine Terminators

Company Veterans squad
- Base of five models and up to an additional five (although a max. squad of ten is needed to use the rule ‘combat squads’).
- Can take a mixture of weaponry (combi-weapons, storm bolters, special and heavy weapons).

Techmarines
- Counts as elites but does not use an Elite slot in the FoC.
- One Techmarine may be taken for each non transport vehicle included in an army.

Dark Angels Scout Squad
- Base is five marines and veteran sgt.
- May include a further five scouts.
- Armed with Krak, Frag and bolt pistol and one of the following as standard – Bolter, Shotgun or Close Combat weapon.
- Shotgun is now S4.
- Rest of options similar to scout squads.

Troops

Tactical squad
- Uses ‘combat squads’ rule
- May take a special weapon if five marines and a special and heavy weapon if ten marines (heavy weapon includes plasma cannon)

Ravenwing Attack squadron (If Master of the Ravenwing taken).

Deathwing Terminator Squad (If Master of the Deathwing taken).

Fast Attack

Assault squad
- Uses ‘combat squads’ rule
- Assault squads can remove their jump packs and take a Rhino or Drop pod instead (points cost per demi squad/squad remain the same).

Ravenwing Attack Squadron
- Base of three bikes (may add another three to a maximum of six.
- All Ravenwing bikes are fearless.
- All Ravenwing bikes (including attack bikes) come with teleport homers and Scout USR as standard
- Two bikes may take a special weapon (flamer, melta or plasma at a points cost).
- Attack bike can be added as standard
- If squadron consists of maximum bikes (six) then a land speeder Tornado may be added.
- Squadron is deployed at the same time but may be separated into four scoring units (2x3 bikes, 1 x attack bike and 1 x land speeder Tornado).

Ravenwing Support Squadron
- Base is one land speeder.
- May include up to four more land speeders, one may be a Tornado and one more a Typhoon.

Heavy Support

Devastators
- May use ‘combat’ squads rule allowing squad to be split into 2x5 marines; this allows you to split out heavy weapons into two units.

Vehicle information

Vehicles come with searchlights and smoke launchers as standard equipment.

Drop pods are more expensive all other vehicles remain at the same price or are cheaper.

Whirlwinds have an option for incendiary Castellan missiles that remove cover saves.

Dreadnoughts may take a Plasma cannon or Twin-linked Autocannon.

General Information

All Dark Angels wearing power armoured come with krak, frag and bolt pistols as standard

All Dark Angels squads are led by veteran sergeants.

Standards of Fortitude, Devastation and Retribution now come under a single classification of ‘sacred standard’ and require an interrogator-chaplain in the army to use.

No veteran skills available to Dark Angels.

Codex follows the same format as the recently released Eldar codex.

‘Combat squads’ used for many selections, base is five models and then may be given another five models for a maximum of 10. When deployed unit may be split into two separate scoring units.

Jink Save for the Ravenwing is gone.

Stubborn and Intractable are gone.

Rules for Cypher are not included in the codex

No Mortis Dreadnought in the codex.

Cheaper by the cost of a single basic space marine, rhinos come with smoke and searchlight.

Extra armour cost is 3 times that of C:SM cost.

Miniature Information

Several new HQ models including two new captains (already seen) along with remakes of named characters.

Dark Angels upgrade sprue (similar to the Black Templars one but of better quality), icons for vehicle upgrades (no separate door sets). Including Deathwing parts and robed bodies.

New Ravenwing sprue (including parts for the MotRW landspeeder)

New Land Speeder sprue including parts for Tornado and Typhoon.

2 army deals will be available - 1 Ravenwing and 1 normal Dark Angels

New model for Cypher.

Cypher is getting a new model. The new model of Cypher is confirmed, due for a late release. The model is in a pose crossed between the Emperor's champion and the LOTR Witch King. I hope you get what I mean. He is looking slightly downwards, and is armed with a very nice sword and some pistol I didn't recognise. (source Destris)

Plastic Devastators and potentially a plastic Drop pod maybe released alongside the codex.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good to have the list on here, cheers for that matey. What do people think of all of this then? Sure Deathwing and Ravenwing have a few new nice touches but what about the rank and file boys?

TBH it looks like they are worse than codex marines. Better basic weapons is a nice touch but hardly going to make a real difference...
This close to launch I was hoping to see a few rules to replace jink save and intractable. I hope they do something :(

#4 ·
Asmodai is gone. (good his wargear combo sucked, he didn't even have a pistol even though it was on the model, and why have a power sword, where was his crozius, man he was dumb)

I'm not pleased about Azrael, why does he still have to keep that blinking combi plasma, "oh goody now I've shot I can't charge, oops" idiot

Liking the sound of Belial, wonder if he gets a nice model?.

Master of the Ravenwing sounds good and looks BRILLIANT, but what idot would choose his speeder over the jetbike?

I hope they don't change Ezekiel too much his model was great, but knowing GW they will ruin him

other stuff good some pointless but meh most of the stuff in codexes these days are pointless lol

#5 ·
A lot of these rumors look more like general space marine overhaul (like cheaper rhinos, more expensive drop pods)

I;d expect to see a lot of this stuff not in the DA codex but in the 'space marines redux' codex

#6 ·
Galahad said:
I;d expect to see a lot of this stuff not in the DA codex but in the 'space marines redux' codex
I dunno why people expect a revision for the basic marine codex. It's current enough that it isnt going to get an update for a LONG time.

#7 ·
I only mention it because it's on practically every future releases list I've seen posted.

I'm not saying we need one, but all the ruors say we're getting one anyhow.

#8 ·
Stella Cadente said:
... I'm not pleased about Azrael, why does he still have to keep that blinking combi plasma, "oh goody now I've shot I can't charge, oops" idiot
Except that he also has a Bolt Pistol (just like every other DA not in Terminator Armour).
So no need to fire the Lion's Wrath if you intend to have him charge into HtH.

Master of the Ravenwing sounds good and looks BRILLIANT, but what idot would choose his speeder over the jetbike?
Well, it is a speeder/skimmer with AV14 on all but the rear sides, and it has TL-Heavy Bolters and TL-Assault Cannons both firing with BS5. So that is 7 shots that are all very likely to hit what they are shooting at.
(MotRW on his Jetbike can be taken out with massed small arms fire, not so when he is in his Speeder)

Personally, I think that the MotRW on his Land Speeder will still be a viable option.

And I second Deadshane's comments regarding any sort of revision to Codex: Space Marines. If/when it gets done, it won't be for some time (I would not expect to see anything in '07, and the '08 schedule is still mostly undecided).

Venreable Dred

#9 ·
It's still too early to tell for a lot of this stuff. I seriously doubt GW will mess with the Rhino cost. If they do, then it'll be a flat decrease-- they won't try to make it look slightly cheaper but make you cover the lost points when you buy extra armor.

I also kind of doubt shotguns are going up to S4. No reason to have bolters on the scouts if the shotguns are S4, really. The compromise is supposed to be that a shotgun isn't as strong but puts out as many shots at close range while allowing you to charge as a follow-up.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Someone ransacked a BFG battleship prow! Other than that, it's a cool idea. A take from way back when marines had jetbikes and other cool things we won't speak of. I think it's a cool model, but a little too busy with iconography. Why the hell is he reading that huge book while flying a jetbike? I know, I know, but still... I'm definitely using that prow to make a BFG dreadnought flagship.

Khaine

#13 ·
No probs.

Looks more like a meltagun than a plasma cannon under the thing though...of course, it;s pretty hard to tell at that angle.

#15 ·
You're probably right. Wish I could find another pic though.

Sill, liiks sweet. Before I sat down and really committed to what army to play, it was a serious tossup between BA and DA (I had the old Angels of Death codex and fell in love with both)

Considering how long it looks like it's gonna be til we get the new BA codex, I'm starting to think I backed the wrong horse ;-)

#16 ·
The Son of Horus said:
It's still too early to tell for a lot of this stuff. I seriously doubt GW will mess with the Rhino cost. If they do, then it'll be a flat decrease-- they won't try to make it look slightly cheaper but make you cover the lost points when you buy extra armor.
Really?!?

[checks notes]

Because that is the exact cost reduction for the DA Rhinos. :wink:

I also kind of doubt shotguns are going up to S4. No reason to have bolters on the scouts if the shotguns are S4, really. The compromise is supposed to be that a shotgun isn't as strong but puts out as many shots at close range while allowing you to charge as a follow-up.
Actually it is a couple of things - shotguns have no AP (so everyone gets a save), and they only have a maximum 12" range.

Anyhow, it should not be too long before all is known.
(as it appears that some advance copies of the codex have begun to show up).

Venerable Dred

#17 ·
This month;s WD has a mall pic of the DA vehicle upgrade frame, a better pic of the jetbike master (Yeah, that is a plasma cannon) and some good pics of some ravenwing bikes and a speeder on the inside of the back cover (oh, and a poster too, looks like the cover art for the new dex)

The feather poles for the bikes are MUCH cooler now. Instead of eing candy canes with feathers glued on they;re actually sort of sculpted looking, angular with an eagle head. Kinda-sorta reminds me of the eagle buttresses fromCoD terrain. It's not the same but when you see it you;ll see what I mean.

They also have feathered farings for the bikes. Reminds me of the chaplain faring.

There's also little robed sword angel hood orniments

Oh, and the vehicle sprue comes with either one assault cannon or a pair (it;s hard to tell if it;s two hlves or two whole guns) styled much like the new terminator ACs. The pic in back shows a speeder upgraded with one of those.It looks sweet. Longer barrels, an angular faring, and a spotlight on it.

Expect a huge pictorial next month showcasing all the goodies

#19 ·
Well, the lighr would be nice to, you know, help you see where you're shooting and if you've actually hit anything important. Tracers just tell you where the bullets are going, they don't tell you what's on the other end of that dotted line.

#22 ·
On a totally unrelated note, I like your new signature. Rikku is the shizzle.

The Dark Angels frame has some interesting stuff on it-- I'm about 99% sure that the assault cannon is two halves instead of a full gun, just from looking at it. I won't complain if I'm wrong, though.

It'd be nice if they'd make the above picture a Ravenwing battleforce. It'd make getting bikers reasonable (money-wise, at least) instead of the fifteen bucks (US) a pop.

#23 ·
Once it;s available I plan on buyng a couple DA frames. A lot of the stuff is usable anywhere (plastic parts to make tornados and Whirlwinds!) and some of it can be converted to blood angels (We have a wing fetish too) a little GS over the sword to make a blood drop, a little filing to make the feahers pointy instead of square...

#26 ·
Well here are both battleforces and there boxes and also decided to include some other pics as well lol, enjoy

Quite a nice few things I reckon, good add-ons to the BIG box set army deal

(top left, DA battleforce, bottom right RW battleforce)

btw: thanks about the Signature comments lol, yes Rikku is indeed the..umm whatever that word was lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.