Dark Angels vs. Codex Marines - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-26-07, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Default Dark Angels vs. Codex Marines

Ok, here are a few examples:

Codex Rhino

-50 pts.
-Has no upgrades whatsoever.

Dark Angels Rhino:

-35 pts
- Are eqipped with a storm bolter, smoke launchers and searchlight.

They both have the same armour.

Codex Predator (with autocannon and no side sponsons) - 100 pts.

Dark Angels Predator
(ditto, as well as smoke launcers and a searchlight) - 70pts.

The codex veterans originally costs 18 pts per model, but only has one attack and leadership 8. They can, however, take terminator honours for 10 pts per model. The Dark Angels veterans cost 20 pts each, but have the terminator honours benefit included.

That means, they are 8 points cheaper than regular veterans, but just as good. Moreover, a Dark Angels veteran squad can be equipped with a maximum 3 power weapons/power fists/plasma pistols/storm bolters/combi volters/ in ADDITION to a special weapon and heavy weapon, while the codex veterans can have a maximum of 3 (because the sergeant is given it from the armoury) EXCLUDING this.

Oh, and they can take terminators as a troop choice if they just include a special chahacter.

Is it just me, or is this slightly unfair?

And aslo, has this uber-whateverit'scalled happened to other chapters who've gotten codexes on their own?

Great thing that I'm using the Dark Angels army list! Come over to the dark side, anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-26-07, 12:42 PM

I guess its made up in troop restrictions, like scouts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-26-07, 02:24 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Well, if you;re going to bring up Death Wing, you should compare new DA to OLD DA...where you didn't have to take a special character, and you could have a pair of assault cannons in each squad, etc.

All in all, new-wave Marines (DA, BA, CSM) have more gear (Don't forget your free krak and frag grenades), generally lower costs, but also fewer options, and higher prices on popular choices.

old marines: 15 point powerfists, 5 point plaspistols, super-cheap and insanely effective 6-man las/plas squads, cheap AC tornado speeders.

Son;t get me wrong, I like (most) of the changes, and the direction that things are headed, but it;s not a one-sided orgasm of awesome.

The new wave are more balanced, take it for what it;s worth. Things that sucked are better, things that were awesome now suck just a little bit more.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-26-07, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Well, if you;re going to bring up Death Wing, you should compare new DA to OLD DA...where you didn't have to take a special character, and you could have a pair of assault cannons in each squad, etc.

All in all, new-wave Marines (DA, BA, CSM) have more gear (Don't forget your free krak and frag grenades), generally lower costs, but also fewer options, and higher prices on popular choices.

old marines: 15 point powerfists, 5 point plaspistols, super-cheap and insanely effective 6-man las/plas squads, cheap AC tornado speeders.

Son;t get me wrong, I like (most) of the changes, and the direction that things are headed, but it;s not a one-sided orgasm of awesome.

The new wave are more balanced, take it for what it;s worth. Things that sucked are better, things that were awesome now suck just a little bit more.
Yeah, I guess. But a DA force fighting aganist a codex force would probably have a big andvantage, right?
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-26-07, 03:48 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Really depends upon the construction of both armies.

It's a lot harder to 'twink' the new style marines, meanwhile the old Codex Space Marines remains an unbridled cheesefest, waiting to be unleashed.

Proper abuse of the traits system, combined with abusive composition choices (small las/plas squads, lots of cheap AC speeders), and good old-fashioned drop-pod spam can make up for free smoke launchers PDQ

New DA is a good list, and if properly maximized, can put up a really good fight (though I think new Chaos marines or BA are stronger), but it's easier to come up with a powerful C:SM list. So it takes a good player to make a powerful DA list, it doesn;t take much talent to come up with an equally powerful C:SM list.

But just you wait...they;ll come around and get their codex changed soon enough.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-26-07, 05:40 PM

I agree with Galahad.

Dark Angels have a number of advantages over regular Codex Marines - but mainly in units that aren't fielded that often (who fields Veterans with Terminator Honours, seriously?). The reduction in the points of Predator Annihilators and Rhinos is fair considering that they're rarely seen units and the new points value is more in keeping with their actual effectiveness on the field.

Regular Marines have 6 man Las/Plas Squads, 2 weapons in Terminator Squads, cheaper Predator Annihilators, cheaper Landspeeder Tornados, cheaper Dreadnoughts. If you add Traits in you get Furious Charge, 6 Devastator Squads, 6x Dreadnought 3x Landspeeder Assault Cannon spam, etc., etc.

A well-built SAFH Space Marine list is one of the most powerful lists in the game. Dark Angels really don't have a cookie-cutter tournament build.

What the Dark Angels Codex excels in is internal balance. In the Space Marine list there are a lot of no-brainer choices and a lot of stuff that competitive players wouldn't touch if they were drunk. In Dark Angels the choice between units is less obvious. The Annihilator pattern Predator is a lot pricier than the Destructor, but it has Lascannons that are hard to find elsewhere. At 100 points, the Landspeeder Tornado isn't clearly superior to a Bike Squadron. Dark Angels isn't perfect, but it's likely GW's best balanced Codex yet in terms of being internally consistent.

I've also found that with Combat Squads, more balanced force composition, stricter adherence to the fluff of Codex Astartes, and the like that I've had more fun with my Dark Angels in the past year than I ever did in the decade preceding whether using the old DA book or just Codex: Space Marines. It's not because they're more powerful, but rather they're much more characterful.

So don't despair. If you lose to Dark Angels when you play Codex Marines, it's not because they have a more powerful army list. The latest rumours are that Space Wolves in the pipeline for late 2008 or early-mid 2009, and if 5th edition comes out, surely a new Space Marine Codex would come along with it. Personally, I think that once those books are updated to the Dark Angel's format 40K will be a much more enjoyable game.

After the orbital strikes, Thunderhawk bombardments, Whirlwinds, Vindicators, fusion and starfire and finally Battle Brothers with flamers had finished cleansing the world of all the enemies of Man, we built a monastery in the center of the largest, most radioactive impact crater. We named the planet "Tranquility", for it was very quiet now. - Brother Vlad Carthas
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-26-07, 05:42 PM

CATzeentch's Flag is: USA

Overall the Darkangels are cheaper than dex marines. However, the upgrades like extra armour, twin-linked Lascannon and so on are a lot more and eventuall add up to be the same or a little bit more than Dex
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-26-07, 06:38 PM

torealis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Galahad's got it pegged. plus i love the phrase 'one sided orgasm'.

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-26-07, 07:45 PM

If your a Dark Angels player you should know how all of this balances out, no more min/max, or squads in sizes different than 5 and 10, basically the min/max tacs and 8 man devs, movement of scouts to the elites section (no clue why, they are just learning to be marines and they are all of a sudden elite! um no, not fluffy at all) no more duel heavy weapons in DW termie squads, DW aren't able to make squads bigger than 5 w/o IC and that makes our Crusader cry when its not filled with DW CC goodiness to max, mandatory HQ for DW as troops, loss of our beloved Land Raiders and attached dedicated transport ... the new Codex definitely gives and takes to a whole new type of army compared to the DA of old. Well the DW side of things anyways.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-26-07, 07:58 PM

CATzeentch's Flag is: USA

Ravenwing kicks ass, but why don't they have skilled rider. Aren't they supposed to be the most skilled riders in the Imperium?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode