I'm...dreaming...of a new....Tyranid Codex! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-09, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Default I'm...dreaming...of a new....Tyranid Codex!

So I've heard mention in the rumours section that a next edition of tyrands may be soon upon us, and by soon I'm not getting my hopes up for earlier than Christmas 2010 (don't quote me on this). So I've been collecting my thoughts on how you can go about bring everybodies favourite gribblies into 5th edition 40k.
DISCLAIMER: None of this is official! For heavens sake don't quote what I've said here as fact because I'M MAKING IT UP!

Models:
Personally I'm very happy with all the existing tyranid models, although I would like to see some new interesting units introduced, the current range is very nice. Only one obvious complaint, we need plastic gargoyles! Nuff, said.

Guants:
Lets be blunt here, the tyranid guant used to be the best cheap unit around, then the orks came with their 6 point boyz, then 5th edition toned down fleet, suddendly the IG are cheaper still and can still hold their own in combat with the wee beasties. Something must be done about this! The sight of loads of gribblies sprinting for you is meant to get you worried, not just annoyed while they engage you squads for a couple of turns before being beaten off. So the basic gaunt profile needs to be improved to make them worth the cost, an extra attack perhaps? Then theres the cost of gargoyles and hormagants, waaaaay too high. Gargoyles should be 9/10 points, hormagants even cheaper, totaling 10 points when you give them some biomorphs.
Now 5th edition has made fearless due to synapse a death sentence, you fight, say, terminators, and their kill score is almost going to double evry turn due to you taking wounds. I would enjoy a rule that softens this, perhaps going like "All gaunts, hormagaunts and gargoyles within synapse range in close combat never take additional wounds for losing the combat."

Genestealers:
Another unit that suffered due to 5th ed toning down not only fleet, but rending too. The profile is good, so an overall reduction in base points and the points for biomorphs would make them worthy to rejoin the lists, also increase the cost of feeder tendrils (in my opinion the only thing tyranids gained from 5th edition).

Warriors:
Good, a slight redution in the cost of biomorphs would be nice though, but currently still a very competitive unit.

Lictors:
Terrible, they sucked in 4th edition, their only upside being that they were virtually the only unit in the game that could deepstrike and assault. Now the orks, SM, CSM, and possibly deamons (haven't read their codex) have better, cheaper stuff that can do the same, and isnt limited to terrain peices. I don't mind paying 80 points per lictor, I just want them to return to being the things that give guardsmen nightmares. So first of all power weapons would even the score a wee bit, as would an extra attack, T5, and an extra d6 against vehicles, make them 100+ points, now we're talking!

Raveners:
They suffer due to dying too easily to ap5 guns, so a 4+ save would be in order, maybe the option to take toxin sacs too. Raise base price to 35 points, but that comes with 2 pairs of talons, one of which may be swapped for rending at no extra cost. I would remove the option for guns altogether, to make them more focused on assault. A rule similar to the thing on drop-pods that stops deepstrike mishaps would be helpful, and forcing pinning tests on units within 6" would make deepstriking more worthwhile.

Hive Tyrant:
Not much I can say here, very happy with the rules as they are, although lifting the 0-1 on flyrants would be cool.

Tyrant Guard:
Likewise, rules work very fine.

Biovore:
Another shit unit that has a rather nice model. What it needs in extra toughness, a better save, and obviously some better firepower. Do away with spore mines altogether, a shooting profile of 48" S5 Ap4 large blast would be in order, with a points increase of course.

Zoanthrope:
A wee bit costly this one, having the synapse power as standard would be good. Whats the Horror for? I mean who uses it? Whats the point of paying for it when you could take psychic scream or warp blast instead? What would be cool though, is if they could join squads, like an IC. This way they would have some protection, and the horror power would effect the whole unit. Make the warp blast a melta weapon? Just an idea, but it would make tank busting abit easier.

Carnifex:
Still very scary, crushing claws could give an extra d3 attacks to make them more reliable. Think of some way that thornback has an effect (can't think of any myself) bin spore cysts and count the model as something else, something that works and doesnt kill you. Make the biomorphs a wee bit cheaper, bin rending claws and lash whips as an option, nobody uses them. The elite fexes work well, and I hope they keep it as I like having 5+ monsters in a game.

New stuff:
A new elite unit would be intesting, something to bridge the gap between warriors and fexes. A new weapon symbiote, with a flamer template, please? A plastic trygon that takes up a fast attack slot (well I'm allowed to dream right?)

Well thats it, nid players, your thoughts and contributions are welcome, am I aiming too high? Would this make tyranids cheesey? Disagree with anything?

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-09, 03:50 PM

thomas2's Flag is: Great Britain

While having to remake my plans for a 'nids army before even painting my first bug will be annoying I would like to see a new codex to make them on par with the current ones and make all units and upgrades useful. I like your ideas, but I think gaunts should be cheaper not better. Also I'm not sure any new units are really needed, though more shooting weapons would be nice as they are pretty much all medium range light infantry killers- some ap or flamer templates would be nice.

Currently vehicles at a distance are a bit of an issue- sniperfexes should get a boost now that glancing is less dangerous and the barbed strangler has just over 1/3 chance of getting a S8 hit.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-09, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, what are the odds that they remove the "only penetrates open-topped vehicles" for the vennom cannon? Would by all my dreams come true if they did.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-09, 10:57 PM
Banned

To fix the lictor I think a 4+ Sv, T5 and the Ihuman Strength rule much like the Broodlord is in order - of course at a reasonable points increase but I think you would see a heck of a lot more of them in games then.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-09, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Com'on guys, I didn't spend near half an hour writting this just to have it drop into obscurity with only 3 posts! Some feedback please?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-09, 11:37 AM

admiraldick's Flag is: United Kingdom

i like you're ideas (not all of them, but many). but sadly i'm at work and don't have time to write an in depth analysis.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-09, 03:19 PM

Revelations's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlFranz40k View Post
Com'on guys, I didn't spend near half an hour writting this just to have it drop into obscurity with only 3 posts! Some feedback please?
See my sig. If you'd like to discuss obscurity, I've had two people comment on the completed work here and 0 comments on another site I posted it at. You'd think some people would *at least* disagree with something I wrote on the internet!

Pondering...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-09, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Ouch, my sympathy Rev.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-09, 06:31 PM

I don't think increasing the stat line or adding special CC rules to gaunts is a good solution...i don't want my gaunts to end up as different shaped orks...

I think if they kept them the same points, but had WoN + an ability similiar to the IG conscripts that allows owning player to suicide the gaunts.

I think WoN would be improved by making it home table edge, or any other table edge if the unit arrives within synapse coverage.

Also, maybe no KP's for gaunts but double KP's for the "big nids" maybe.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-09, 09:55 PM

Revelations's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by emergeo View Post
I don't think increasing the stat line or adding special CC rules to gaunts is a good solution...i don't want my gaunts to end up as different shaped orks...
Indeed, god forbid a six-legged animal with a large razor sharp teeth filled jaw and a tail with would have more attacks in melee than a raging green gorilla.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlFranz40k View Post
Ouch, my sympathy Rev.
Indeed... although you possess the capacity to aid in my specific plight... hint hint...

Pondering...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode