How to Stop Yourself - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Default How to Stop Yourself

Hello, friends. My name is Horus, and I'm an alchoholic. Not really. The golden question of the day is, "When you realize you want to start an army, and have absolutely no business doing it, how do you stop yourself from dropping the 250-300 bucks on it?"

I ask, because over the last few weeks, I've been running a Dark Heresy adventure which involves Necrons. In reading the fluff again, and having learned a fast way to paint the color scheme shown below (the model took two hours, but I can do them in twenty minutes apiece now at that quality), I'm strongly tempted to build a 2000-point army as my next project. However, that would be ANOTHER army that I don't really need. I'm at the point in that addiction we all have to plastic spacemen where I actually need an excuse not to buy stuff. So, help me out here. How do you talk yourself out of things 40k-related?

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 08:29 AM
Banned
Azkaellon's Flag is: Canada

Simple For me i remember the couple hundred eldar models i have to paint and base then think "Oh Hell No" and end up spending a week painting models, before cracking and buying the army anyhow (And thus i bought a war of the ring force...)
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 08:32 AM

well, i usually set myself goals, like paint this many troops before i consider buying something else for my army. I then also think(usually in the store) do i really need to buy this(this has stopped me from buying a fantasy army more than once)and then also think is there something else i would rather spend my money on.

this usually works for me, i hope that it helped.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 08:50 AM

Gul Torgo's Flag is: USA

I fire up Dawn of War (usually Dark Crusade) and play through the campaign with the army that is tempting me. By the time I finish I am so tired of that army the last thing I want to do is drop hundreds of dollars on assembling and painting them.

You're holding your plasmagun, staring down the barrel, it gets hot. "Phew! good thing I had stuck my gun outside this friggen window to shoot that heretic! Otherwise I might have melted my face off! - OH $%&^! What happened to my hands!?!"
-m3rr3k contemplates whether cover saves apply to "Gets Hot!"
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 08:56 AM

Yes, I too have an addiction. Whenever a new model comes out that I like, I.....buy..it. Hence, I don't really have a full army. however, that has started to change now. I'm finally gonna finish a full sized army then I can buy all those new pretty, shiny models.....ohhh spacemen......so shiny.....

"Gloriam Imperator! The Firstborn Stand!"
Click for Vostroya and the Emperor!

Into the Fires of Battle, Unto the Anvils of War!
Click Me!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 08:57 AM
Alex's Flag is: United Kingdom

After deciding 4 armies was enough, I told my friend if I spent any more money on another army he could punch me for each pound I spent. 5 months on and no new army even though I really liked the idea of starting a daemons force.

Builder of the Lego Manta

40K Farsight Enclaves
WFB - Brettonians
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 08:57 AM
moo

moo's Flag is: United Kingdom

I tell myself i have to paint the minis i have before i buy more or i think to myself the practicalities of having another army, whether i'll really enjoy it, where to store it, and how often will i use it etc.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 09:04 AM

Trigger's Flag is: England

Get a Missus. Mine does an amazing job of spending my money on shite for herself.

Stick a V8 in it!

Quote eric, I'm sure Madonna has her own awards shelf. It doesn't make her any good.

Painting Great War Germans. Mmmm... Flamethrowers.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 09:26 AM

Kobrakai's Flag is: United Kingdom

Temptation will always be there!

I guess all you can do really is just write down the pro's and cons of what you set to achieve with this new force and then see whether or not it's justified.

I've been tempted to buy a guard force, but with my marines going apocalyptic in size, I think to myself would it be worth it? Would I use that army? Would I even use my first army to the size I plan?

The bad thing is you say 'Oh i'll just buy 1000pts', then when you see more stuff your like hmm, how does 1500pts look? ... and so on

Way I see it though on the other hand, is as long as your okay financially, have enough to keep a roof over your head, fed, watered and anything else you might need to pay, then it's only money! If it makes you happy buying more models, then go ahead and do it :D You only live once
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 09:29 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Money- I dont have any
I am soarly tempted by a tzeentch daemon army but for now any money that I am spending is going on building my ogres into a half decent (obv they cant possibly make a decent army...) and in getting more drop pods for my SW in preparation for the new dex

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode