Raveners actually a Legit choice? (Planetstrike) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-27-09, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Ensanguined Priest's Flag is: Scotland

Raveners actually a Legit choice? (Planetstrike)

The first thing i thought after reading the info about planet strike was 6 Fast attack And assaulting the turn i DS... RAVENERS!!!

I think, in planetstrike, that raveners are really gonna be great again. As they can assault on the turn they DS (thanks to having the Deep Strike special rule), they really are gonna kick some imperial (or xenos, or anything else for that matter) ass!

Now, i envision PS to be quite large battles, maybe not quite apoc. size, but larger than a standard game. So myself and a few friends have had a few mock games, (using the Attacker/Defender FO, a couple of bastions and the barrage thingy), but really none of us have very large amounts of points worth of armies (oh, the curse of being a student).
So with this in mind we just decided to do normal battles, but tweaked so they became 'planetstrike' ones.. Generally this means 1.5 - 2k matches, but with the new FO and shizz.

So, (trying to get round to the initial reason for posting) would Raveners actually be a good investment for a Tyranid army?
Ive always kinda overlooked them as they have seemed rather frail and expensive. but now im quite drawn to the idea of having a unit... or two... xD

6 Ravneners, with Dual Talons, and a Devourer each comes in at around 300 if i remember right. This is a pretty large chunk out of that 1.5-2k. But is it worth is for 36 S3 Shots, and 39 S4 CC attacks, which can shoot And assault the enemy (hopefully) on Turn One?

Thats potentially Alot of Killy.....

xD

Only the Fearful fear Fear.

Wait, what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-27-09, 06:58 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Guns would probably be overkill but raveners themselves would be great- they can DS, run and assault 12". They are going to get the assault even if you DS them in complete safety.. so yes, they are quite good.

They will still die pretty fast and have no assault grenades but are I5 and decent enough

post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-27-09, 07:25 PM

I actually thought about this, and even though I wouldn't go for the guns it's possible, but even then I wouldn't risk it. It's too easy to scatter, and if your opponent sets up a decent base chances are it will mean mishap.... of DOOOOOM

thanks,

~MC

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-27-09, 08:04 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

You shouldnt ever mishap with raveners- they are beasts meaning they can charge 12+D6" after a planetstrike DS.

post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-27-09, 08:09 PM

Gul Torgo's Flag is: USA

Chaos Dreads are another lousy units that merits reconsideration for Planetstrike. When you can DS them so that there will almost certainly be an enemy unit closer than a friendly, their "Crazed" special rule might actually be a benefit.

You're holding your plasmagun, staring down the barrel, it gets hot. "Phew! good thing I had stuck my gun outside this friggen window to shoot that heretic! Otherwise I might have melted my face off! - OH $%&^! What happened to my hands!?!"
-m3rr3k contemplates whether cover saves apply to "Gets Hot!"
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 04:33 AM

Winterous's Flag is: Australia

Dude, DUDE.
Why would you even CONSIDER giving Raveners dual Talons??
Talons and Claws is the only option you ever take.

Oh yes, the extra attack is nice against infantry, but that's what you have Gaunts for!
But the Rending is what makes them useful, you can zoom across the board and rip a squad to shreds, or hit a vehicle really hard.

Guns are good on them, but expensive and unnecessary.
You'd be better off in PS taking medium squads of 3-4, with Talons and Rending, and just deep striking them near the enemy.
Be careful of cover though, that will be their downfall.
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Ensanguined Priest's Flag is: Scotland

Bah, Guns are fun
Pretty much everything in my army that Can have Devourers, Has devourers (except for two of my gaunt squads, but meh).
But that might be something ill consider if the points are needed elsewhere, which tbf they probably will...

As for choosing double Talons over Talon & Claws, i always take talons. I just have an obsession with having loads of attacks (im sorely tempted to start IG, and take 9 Leman Russ Punisher's..).
Also, i suppose that with rending id be slightly more likely to kill the unit im attacking, with a PS deployment id presume that my opponent is going to have units set up pretty close together, i don't want whichever unit im attacking to be dead from my charge cause then id have my raveners lost to enemy fire. But with two rounds of CC attacks (the charge and enemy turn) then that extra attack should be enough to wipe out the enemy unit, allowing me to move onto the next target in my turn.
Thats just the way i think it.

However i do agree with taking smaller squads
(thought id throw in something so didn't just disagree with everything said)

Only the Fearful fear Fear.

Wait, what?
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 11:00 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Combine with the Supply Drop Strategem. What, you don't have a PS book yet? Roll a dice that doesn't physically exist, but is common enough, giving that many units OffGren, DefGren, and MeltaBs. Raveners are incredible in Planetstrike, buy some now. No joke.
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 11:13 AM

Winterous's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingElessar View Post
Combine with the Supply Drop Strategem. What, you don't have a PS book yet? Roll a dice that doesn't physically exist, but is common enough, giving that many units OffGren, DefGren, and MeltaBs. Raveners are incredible in Planetstrike, buy some now. No joke.
How do YOU have it?
Just sneaked a peek at the local GW?
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-28-09, 11:16 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

It was part of 2nd prize at Fields of Blood. I'm rereading it right now, and posting anytime people ask specific questions about units that will be great at PS games.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode