Gue'Vesa army - can it be legal? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-09, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

Gue'Vesa army - can it be legal?

I want to build a new army, and one idea I've always liked is a Gue'Vesa army, the Gue'Vesa being those humans who fight for the Tau. The only thing stopping me is the problem of being able to play games with it. Anyone know a way round this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-09, 02:36 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yes. Make the army from the Guard 'Dex as normal, then just say they fight for the Tau...Just don't use anything Gue'Vesa couldn't have, like Commissars etc.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-09, 02:40 PM

No problem, kit out the tanks with some tau-y bitz, paint the shoulders on the men that tau symbol, just use the normal guard codex. Use your imagination, an army that is using its own gear and is fighting for the tau, maybe has axcess to some sensor kits andsuchlike, just don't go trying to make up rules for guard with pulse rifles.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-09, 06:29 PM

Mhhm, because actually using the Gue'Vessa rules is no longer legal - it was Chapter Approved, which no longer counts for anything. You can't even have Gue'Vessa in a Tau army.

But yeah, if you make an IG army, concentrating mainly on infantry, give them upgrades that make them more elite, have things like Kasrkin in large numbers, and do things like replace shoulder pads with Tau ones (which you can probably buy on ebay...), no one will mind I'm sure. Better check with your local GW though, in case.

Just steer clear of Commissars, Psykers, or large numbers of tanks. A Gue'Vessa army is more likely to be almost purely infantry, as it is rare for Tau to willingly allow the low-tech-level Imperial tanks in to their armies.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-09, 06:51 PM

Gul Torgo's Flag is: USA

Of course you can slap together some special rules for your force if you want to give your IG a more Tau feel. Follow the principle of asking yourself "Would this be fun to play against?" and you should be able to work out a fun fluffy force you can use in casual games.

You're holding your plasmagun, staring down the barrel, it gets hot. "Phew! good thing I had stuck my gun outside this friggen window to shoot that heretic! Otherwise I might have melted my face off! - OH $%&^! What happened to my hands!?!"
-m3rr3k contemplates whether cover saves apply to "Gets Hot!"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-09, 12:13 AM

Lord_Murdock's Flag is: Canada

To represent the Gue'Vesa, I'd use an all-veterans list. That way you could give them shotguns (maybe as slightly tau-ified lasguns?) and plasma guns (give them plasma rifles, but call them plasma guns) and maybe carapace armour as well (like the 4+ save fire warriors have). Not sure what you'd do for tanks though. Maybe put a battle cannon on a hammerhead and call it a leman russ?

With a bit of modeling, it's quite possible to field a full army of Gue'Vesa.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-09, 01:33 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

Just play them as regular guard and dress them up with tau'fied minis

Fire Warrior bodiues (with hand and foot swaps) carrying hybrid pulse rifle/lasgun weapons for stormies, modified devilfish for Valks, sentinels carrying cut down broadside railguns to represent lascannons

A kitted up Battlesuit Commander (with broadside heat sinks covering the thrusters) would make a really effective Straken proxy, with specially kitted drones to represent advisors.

There's no need for special rules, just some imaginative modeling.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-09, 03:18 PM
RTJ

RTJ's Flag is: United Kingdom

The other option is to use the "counts as" rule for tau rather than guard - just build a tau list and swap heads/legs, etc with guard models - If you prefer a more firepower/manouvre based army that might work well for you?

You could even have jump pack guard (do you remember those?!) as vespid!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-09, 03:42 PM

Inquisitor Varrius's Flag is: Canada

Back when chapter approved meant something, I'd have said an infantry-heavy IG army with kroot mercenaries would be fine, but now that it's illegal... Oh well, I still play 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
Camo is the color of cowardice but if the only ones to call you a coward are now a puddle of plasma there isnt a problem.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-09, 04:07 PM

Dafistofmork's Flag is: United Kingdom

what i would do would be to "tau-ify" some guards men, and make them count as fire warriors ect.

humm, true. This is yet again proof the Orks are smarter the Elves.-Micklez

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode