Picking An Army - Page 23 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #221 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-12-12, 03:09 PM
nevynxxx's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingElessar View Post
With it being generally accepted that 6th Edition will be released in the summer, starting any of the FOURTH Edition armies this year would be a tremendously bad idea in my opinion.
I'd go the other way on that. Being old, they are likely to get updates in 6th sooner, so you'll actually be playing an army designed for the rules.

At lest that's my hope, having just started to collect Tau!

I figure keeping close to the battleforce units should be a safe bet...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-12-12, 04:21 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

If you stick to plastic stuff, and magnetise weaponry, sure, whatever you get will probably still be useful - the issue being that you don't know if 'soon' is 'soon enough' or if they'll get fucked over like the Sisters.
post #223 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-12-12, 05:41 PM

S71GGY, if you want an army that goes for a headlong charge then orks are probably a good idea (at 1500 points you can easily have 180 models (6 squads of 30 boyz with a nob and power klaw) and still have a couple hundred points left over. I'd also recommend a tyranid army (which can be more numerous than an ork army) or a blood angels army with a lot of assault marines (which are a lot faster and have 3+ saves)

We do not fear the flame,though it burns us,
We do not fear the fire, though it consumes us,
And we do not fear it's light,
Though it reveals the darkness of our souls,
For therein lies our power

post #224 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-12-12, 08:12 PM

S71GGY's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by CattleBruiser View Post
S71GGY, if you want an army that goes for a headlong charge then orks are probably a good idea (at 1500 points you can easily have 180 models (6 squads of 30 boyz with a nob and power klaw) and still have a couple hundred points left over. I'd also recommend a tyranid army (which can be more numerous than an ork army) or a blood angels army with a lot of assault marines (which are a lot faster and have 3+ saves)
the only problem i have with orks is my brother collected them many years ago and i like to be different to him and from what im hearing they are going to have a new codex out so dont wanna get half way through building to find them pointless ? im really quite new to this so im going to be slowly picking it up bit by bit.
post #225 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-12-12, 10:43 PM

S71GGY's Flag is: England

Right after alot of time looking and thinking how i want my to look, i decided to stick with the original plan and build a Ultramarine Army, thankyou for this thread it was a great help and gave a great insight into what strengths and unique qualities each army has. Roll on payday !
post #226 of 238 (permalink) Old 04-28-12, 04:15 PM

Evil Pickled Eggs's Flag is: Canada

even though i already have an army i would have wanted to have seen this before i picked an army
post #227 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-05-12, 07:11 PM

d3m01iti0n's Flag is: USA

I picked Black Templars because I like their image and tactics. Being two updates behind wont stop the Black Tide =)
post #228 of 238 (permalink) Old 06-06-12, 10:56 AM

Antonius's Flag is: United Kingdom

I picked Imperial Guard as my 2nd army, because after developing an SM army (VERY VERY weak one at that), i fell in love with tanks and all things with an AV. Plus i find that the Russ Tank looks like a tank's tank (ie a "proper" tank), and that the whole "Mehtal Bawkses" theme was what i liked (yes i know, Chimeras are what i call Mehtal Bawkses: Deluxe edition). Imperial Guard allow you a great range of tactical options, and do mech perhaps better than SM, and can do horde well. Hell, even with the classic platoon structure, you can still go mech or hybrid (and can still be effective - AND VERY CHEAP pts wise).

However, i love the army, but remember that you might be breaking the bank for it.

Plus for the savvy shopper who goes the Full Foot route:
Instead of buying 2 Infantry squads, get 1 Infantry Squad box and then get 2x 5man painting boxes - you get enough Specials, Voxes and Sergeants for 2 squads, and it works out considerably cheaper.

Cheapass meltaguns (for the competitive meltavet player): Raid your bitz box for Multimeltas as well as meltaguns (Russ kits are ideal for this). Simply cut off the stubs of the flamers, and stick some melta stubs from the MM onto the flamer, cutting off the pipework and not including any fuel tanks. Makes 4 Meltas for no additional charge (and i don't like metal meself due to a constant case of losing superglue).

Antonius
ps: IG are also well represented by cool IA stuff as well, so don't feel limited by the options in the IG codex (lack of static artillery, aircraft, Superheavies etc)

General Antonius, Task force Iron Storm cmdr, Cadian 9th Mechanised Infantry Rgt.

WHAT, I CAN'T HAVE MORE THAN SIX MANTICORES!

I'm facing NECRONS
post #229 of 238 (permalink) Old 07-03-12, 04:29 PM

The Sturk's Flag is: USA

My first (and currently only) army is Necrons. They were unique in my gaming group in that no one had them. Plus I liked the look and theme of the army. A horde of undead robots where 50% of the time (before their codex update), they got back up.

And now Necrons are one of the more powerful armies around due to their codex update and the BRB update.
post #230 of 238 (permalink) Old 12-11-12, 05:11 PM

Warlord_Winters's Flag is: USA

I'm going with Necrons when i can start getting a good income. in the future maybe Tau, IG, Orks, or Eldar. is there going to be an update on the 1st post to reflect 6th Edition changes?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode