Picking An Army - Page 22 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-20-12, 06:25 PM

still can't choose
there all awsome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-30-12, 06:28 AM

This is very informative post. Keep it up.
post #213 of 238 (permalink) Old 01-31-12, 01:39 AM

you should do spacemarines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerScorpion85 View Post
still can't choose
there all awsome

post #214 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-01-12, 03:11 AM

PROxASSASSINx's Flag is: Canada

I have it down to four armies, Dark Eldar, Grey Knights, Necrons and Orks. They are the only ones not being used in my gaming group. What are the advantages of each and which one would win the most games easily.
post #215 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-01-12, 09:55 AM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Dark Eldar use speed and blistering anti-infantry fire, though their ability to reliably destroy enemy vehicles is limited. Damage, yes but destroy not so much.

Grey Knights have troops that are solid(ish) in combat and pretty good at shooting, but also lack Melta weaponry and have rather expensive choices that preclude shoehorning in everything you'll find you want. It's easy to make a bad army list with GKs.

Necrons suffer the same cost issues as GKs, though they can have greater ranged (ie, over 24") capacity than GKs - Melta is again an issue, and writing bad armies is even easier.

Ork aren't worth buying until their next Codex, possibly even then.
post #216 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-01-12, 02:12 PM

Grokfog's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by centurius View Post
I've recently come back in to the hobby, having been out of it for about 14 years. Ive been regularly reading black library books though so kept up on some of the fluff. Over the last 3 months Ive bought a few random minis off of ebay (all SM models) and am seriously undecided as to which chapter to use. I'm toying with the idea of LOTD, as I managed to pick up centurius quite cheap and Ive got a couple of other LOTD models that have come with others. Ive got Marneus calgar, a tactical squad and 2 squads of terminators plus a few blood angels terms from the newest version of space hulk. As well as these I have 2 dreadnaughts and a bike squad. I like the look of the LOTD army but am unsure as to whether or not to do something different like their predecessors the firehawks?? what do you guys think?? Im gonna take some snaps of what I have soon and start to make a project log.

Also credit to you guys, Ive read through all 21 pages of this forum this morning and for me there is loads of helpful advice here!!
I say go for it. I used the vanilla marine codex for my Legion army

As a taster, say hello to Longinus, my LotD Chapter Master

I would like to point out this was done some time ago, and my painting has improved, but i just can't bring myself to redo him yet...
post #217 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-09-12, 09:42 AM

centurius's Flag is: United Kingdom

nice!!
I have enough models now to maybe try for both firehawks and LOTD!!
I have posted some pics up in the painting forum of my first atempts in 17 years!!
post #218 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-12-12, 12:15 PM

S71GGY's Flag is: England

This has helped me in many ways but was set on starting an UM army but now im considering orks just for the mass numbers and Close combat craziness... its a tough choice and i got until march to decide !. im not sure. The cost for now isnt an issue so i dont have that problem luckily. Any opinions guys?
post #219 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-12-12, 01:35 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

With it being generally accepted that 6th Edition will be released in the summer, starting any of the FOURTH Edition armies this year would be a tremendously bad idea in my opinion. That rules out;
Orks
Eldar
Tau
Black Templars
Dark Angels
Chaos Space Marines
Chaos Daemons

Obviously if being competitive isn't a concern for you, then don't worry so much about it - but still be aware that those armies are (theoretically) due an update, and so may be getting new models and losing some options in the next 18 months or so... Probably 3 or 4 of them will be revamped in that time, so picking one is playing army book lottery.
post #220 of 238 (permalink) Old 02-12-12, 02:35 PM

S71GGY's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingElessar View Post
With it being generally accepted that 6th Edition will be released in the summer, starting any of the FOURTH Edition armies this year would be a tremendously bad idea in my opinion. That rules out;
Orks
Eldar
Tau
Black Templars
Dark Angels
Chaos Space Marines
Chaos Daemons

Obviously if being competitive isn't a concern for you, then don't worry so much about it - but still be aware that those armies are (theoretically) due an update, and so may be getting new models and losing some options in the next 18 months or so... Probably 3 or 4 of them will be revamped in that time, so picking one is playing army book lottery.
I noticed that is being mentioned quite regularly, i was keen on collecting UM but just been talking with a few friends and he mention Space wolves. Im not to sure how to play the game but will be learning as i collect, my intention was have an army what goes for a head on charge. After reading up on these Space Wolves they quite interest me . Any info on these would be greatly appreciated.
I was keen on orks but as you mentioned it would be army book lottery to start now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode