Modelling creep. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-09, 02:27 AM

Lord of Rebirth's Flag is: Canada

Interesting to hear that. I had noticed Cadians are a bit more bulky than other IG but I presumed that was part of a gene bulking sort of thing or perhaps just over thousands of years of breeding soldiers Cadians have become larger to better handle combat. It might be an odd idea but what is the standard Cadian is like 7' tall and 320 pounds?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-09, 02:41 AM
Banned

My favourite model scaling of GW is the CARNIFEX - ever notice that on the Tyranid Codex a Carnifex is taller and larger than Space Marine Rhino, but in the game the Rhino is much large than than the Fex. I mean the Fex barely reaches the top if the rhino in the position it's made - hence if I ever went for a Tyranid army I would have to go for using 2 Carnifex torsos per Fex.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-09, 02:24 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

GW was 25mm Heroic at first, and is now 28mm heroic. Some of the models are now larger to reflect their actualy size (in the case of space marines).

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-09, 02:37 PM

Yeah Djinn's right, I have models (not 40k, obviously, they weren't making them at that point) from the early '80s and they're tiny compared to the newer ones. Tom Maier's Elves... horrible. Orcs the size of goblins now, and the first lots of Orks of course... no-one uses RT marines any more, they're smaller than guard... 25mm is more or less 1:72 but the bulk and oversized nature of many of the current ranges make them closer to 1:48 or something. Every time a new special character is released, they seem to make it 'just a little bit bigger' than other models... and whoever asked before, yes, I think some of the guard models are supposed to be about 7' tall.

Curiously, some things that are supposed to be massive - such as terminators, about 9' tall - are modelled a bit small... 1.5" for 9' means that they're... 1:72.

And don't get me started on vehicles...

BTW, "scale creep" is probably the more usual term.

:scaling cyclops:

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-09, 04:43 PM

Angels Of Flame's Flag is: United Kingdom

its somthing i have noticed quite a lot over the years, as i started playing when i was about 10 a good 13 years ago i had a mix of older stuff, where i have stripped that older stuff to build into a new army some of the new bits im picking up just dont fit.

also the tank scale is a bit annoying, there was no way you could get 10 marines or 5 termies in an old rhino. but i guess there far better now true los comes into it. covert your old rhinos there small and hidey.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-09, 05:21 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

the scale of vehicles for marines is still way off, you only need to look at the marine gunner from a rhino/landraider to see that his shoulders just aint going to fit that tiny hatch,and the model with just the head popping out of the hatch actually looks as though his shoulder have been removed.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode