Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Mixed force Inquisitor army

661 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Inquisitor Einar 
#1 ·
Posted this in rules but didn't think it was out of order to copy it here.

Was thinking of starting a GK army but started looking at WH and decided to do both. In one. That possible?

And if so, how does it work? Do I need an HQ from both sides? Presumably Inquisitors can't mix and match retinue or gear?

Please forgive my ignorance in this matter. It's quite possible the codices answer these questions but I'm asking as I don't have them.

#2 ·
yes you can do both, but decide which will be the main force, i.e DH with WH allies or visa versa, and use the allies listing in the codex to build the allies force.
so if you take DH as your main, then you can take (this off the top of my head, so may out a bit) 0-1 HQ, 0-1 ellite, 0-2 (i think) troops and 0-1 fast attack, and no heavy surport from the WH codex, and it be the same if you take WH as your main force with DH allies.
and you are correct about the inquestiors and there retinues cant be mixed and matched.
hope that helps

oh and you dont need to take an HQ for the allies if you dont want too, hence the 0-1 for HQ

#3 ·
Spot on thank you. That leaves me in a quandry though as I was going to run DH with WH allies, but then I forfeit exorcists. Hmmm..

#5 ·
The only thing that is required is that you field at least 1 HQ and 2 troops from your 'main' list. Then you can include the previously listed types of units from the allied list.
And for inquisitors, you'll indeed have to decide wether they are a WH or DH inquisitor, and pick their retinue + wargear from their respective codices. On another note, this also goes for assassins. If you have a WH Inquisitor, you'll need to field your assassin from the WH force, if you have a WH inquisitor, you field one from the DH force.
Since you only have 1 Elite slot, this means that unless you field an allied force HQ inquisitor lord, you can't put an allied assassin in your force.
While if you field your assassin from your main force, you can use a 2nd elite slot or an HQ slot for your inquisitor ( or inquisitor lord ).

As for choosing which ordo will be your 'main' force, and which one your allied force, I would recommend looking at the Heavy Support slots. What can demon hunters field as heavy support that you'd really like, and what can witchhunters field.
I think something along these lines would work well:
Main force WH
HQ: Cannoness, jump pack etc.
Troops:
2+ sister squads
Fast attack: 1 x seraphim
Heavy support: Excorcists x 3
Allied force:
HQ: grey Knight captain with termie retinue
Elite: Inquisitor with mystics and a LRC
Troops:
some Grey Knights.

Deepstrike your GKs and your termies, jump ahead with seraphim and cannoness,
hold your basic sisters back and have them rain bolterfire on the enemy, and defend the excorcists and inquisitor.
Use the LRC as center piece to block enemy light of sight to your excorcists and sisters in the back.
The inquisitor with the mystics are there to intercept incoming deepstrikers, and give the sisters the ability to give them a taste of close range bolter/melta fire when they land.

#6 ·
That's a nice list. Thanks. I will have atinker with it. I don't normally like the idea of deepstriking something as valuable or deadly as GK terminators but will consider it with the seraphim jumping in early doors.

#7 ·
DS isn't much of my thing either, but in this case, you have a LOT of things deepstriking while there's already 2 units closing in and preparing to engage.
You could just put them on the field and advance, but that wouldn't give much of an advantage I think. and I doubt you'll have enough points to give them transports and still have a decent amount of troops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.