Help deciding on second army. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-09, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Ijustmadethisup4's Flag is: USA

Icon Help deciding on second army.

So, ive decided to build another army to relieve myself from boredom (and money ) Only problem is i am somewhat stuck on what to get. I current have orks, who i enjoy greatly and will continue to expand on. I also own enough bloodangels to play about a 1000 point game with them and want to slowely expand them, but never want to be serious with them. I have pretty much narrowed my decision down to 3 races: Necrons, Tyranids, and Chaos.

I wanted to be evil...no clue why. My highest pick atm is Necrons because they are so unique, mysterious, AND they have an excelt Necron Phalanx set that would be perfect for starting a new army. They reason i hesitate with them is because i see that they should be good on paper from what ive read, but i also see alot of people complaining about losing with them alot. Now im not looking to win all the time, but losing all the time is no fun. The main other races i will be playing against are eldar, Black templar, dark eldar, and ultramarines (also probably orcs too as my friends will probably use them some). The reason i like tyranid is because of their unique units and their tactics, which is a bad thing too because it is similar to the ork tactic. Chaos are appealing because the seem to have everything. Chaos also has a good starting set-the renagade thing ($240 one).

So heres a chance for the fans of Necrons, Tyranids, and Chaos ( i would go united) to debate it out and convice me to start one of these armys. Which one would be best for a person who enjoys Orcs? Keep in mind, i dont want them to be JUST like orcs-which is what turns me away from tyranid (horde tactic?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-09, 05:54 PM

DarknessWithin's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijustmadethisup4 View Post
So, ive decided to build another army to relieve myself from boredom (and money ) Only problem is i am somewhat stuck on what to get. I current have orks, who i enjoy greatly and will continue to expand on. I also own enough bloodangels to play about a 1000 point game with them and want to slowely expand them, but never want to be serious with them. I have pretty much narrowed my decision down to 3 races: Necrons, Tyranids, and Chaos.

I wanted to be evil...no clue why. My highest pick atm is Necrons because they are so unique, mysterious, AND they have an excelt Necron Phalanx set that would be perfect for starting a new army. They reason i hesitate with them is because i see that they should be good on paper from what ive read, but i also see alot of people complaining about losing with them alot. Now im not looking to win all the time, but losing all the time is no fun. The main other races i will be playing against are eldar, Black templar, dark eldar, and ultramarines (also probably orcs too as my friends will probably use them some). The reason i like tyranid is because of their unique units and their tactics, which is a bad thing too because it is similar to the ork tactic. Chaos are appealing because the seem to have everything. Chaos also has a good starting set-the renagade thing ($240 one).

So heres a chance for the fans of Necrons, Tyranids, and Chaos ( i would go united) to debate it out and convice me to start one of these armys. Which one would be best for a person who enjoys Orcs? Keep in mind, i dont want them to be JUST like orcs-which is what turns me away from tyranid (horde tactic?).
I hear a lot about people using necrons as a second army, mainly because they have not many special rules. Their main problems are low initive, the models can be pricy to buy, and Phase Out. Mainly they're dead in cc most of the time since they strike last, a majority of the models are metal so it can be pricy, and the most dreded rule, Phase Out. The good thing is if you buy the Philax, you get: 48 warriors, seven scarab swarms, 6 destroyers, a monolith and a lord, so the phase out will be quite low and it is a good starter set. Also Necrons are awesome due to the fact of WBB.
One of my other armies are chaos and i personally love building them, they have alot of different troops that are good for cc and long range fighting.
Don't know much about 'nids but i hear they're hard to play and paint but are good if you know what your doing.
DarknessWithin

Fear the Darkness Within yourself, for there is no escape, there is no Mercy. Be afraid of the Dark, for it's here...

Impossible Quiz 2
Please, I am hungry for mouse. Please let your mouse feed me with it's clicks
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-09, 10:10 PM

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

Go for Chaos Space Marines, they're versatile, diverse, and best of all, a lot of the models are plastic.

Ideally for fluff gamers, you can build a force centred around one god, all four, or as many inbetween as you like. You can build a competitive list with Chaos Marine squads, bikes, tanks and all the things you expect from Space Marines. Alternatively you can build a force around close combat troops, shooty units, or simply one that's as likely to tear itself apart as it is the enemy.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-09, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sullen One View Post
Go for Chaos Space Marines, they're versatile, diverse, and best of all, a lot of the models are plastic.

Ideally for fluff gamers, you can build a force centred around one god, all four, or as many inbetween as you like. You can build a competitive list with Chaos Marine squads, bikes, tanks and all the things you expect from Space Marines. Alternatively you can build a force around close combat troops, shooty units, or simply one that's as likely to tear itself apart as it is the enemy.

If i did go chaos, would chaos be too similar to the tiney blood angel army that i am currently working on? How are they different? I have never played against a chaos army before so i really have no knowledge of them other than what i read on here and other places.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-09, 01:42 AM

Necrons gets boring really quickly. They can't really be played in too many different ways.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-09, 02:52 AM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

If you want to go really evil you could always be chaos daemons.

Necrons do get a little boring after a little while.

Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-09, 02:53 AM

I don't know about boring, but It's true that there aren't many tactics for using Necrons. There are many different ways to play them, but due to little variety and many of the units being metal, Many people think they're dull.

I on the other hand, do not think they're boring or dull. When I want to win (except against Orks) I play necrons. A powerful shooty troops choice, 3 diverse and cool fast attacks choices and the ever dreaded monolith make the necrons interesting and fun to play. The C'Tan also mix it up strategy and game wise. They have awesome fluff are easy to get the hang of but hard to master, and can kick most armies (except for Orks) butts!

I <3 Necrons
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-09, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackalMan View Post
I don't know about boring, but It's true that there aren't many tactics for using Necrons. There are many different ways to play them, but due to little variety and many of the units being metal, Many people think they're dull.

I on the other hand, do not think they're boring or dull. When I want to win (except against Orks) I play necrons. A powerful shooty troops choice, 3 diverse and cool fast attacks choices and the ever dreaded monolith make the necrons interesting and fun to play. The C'Tan also mix it up strategy and game wise. They have awesome fluff are easy to get the hang of but hard to master, and can kick most armies (except for Orks) butts!

I <3 Necrons

Woohoo! I was hoping for at least 1 vote for necron. While alot of people apparently think they are expensive, their $200 phalanx is the same point value as the chaos SM's is $40 more.

What are your opinions about that Phalanx box? What would be a good expansion to it?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-09, 04:32 AM
Siege's Flag is: Australia

If you do go with Necrons go with a different kind of colour scheme, my mate has a blue, red and black Necron army and it looks really good as opposed to the standard silver or boltgun or whatever it is.

Please help Keak reach his full potential.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-09, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Anyone gonna make a case for Tyranids?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode