What is with Starcraft FANS?! - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 03:07 AM

Actually, the Protoss are pretty damned far from Eldar. Eldar are a dying race, whereas Protoss are just getting past their prime. Also, the two aren't really parallel, since the Eldar fell because they got too comfortable and hedonistic, hence the spawning of Slaanesh, and the Protoss are dying because they've had the everliving shit kicked out of them by the Tyranids. I mean, Zerg. Yes, that was on purpose.

Really, when you think about, all you have to do to make the Tau into Protoss is remove their mouths and hand the entire race to the Tyranids. I mean, even the colors are the same, that weird sand/tan color.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-09, 03:45 AM

Gul Torgo's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhainiteAssassin View Post
1. i was not counting the book, since the change of media (visual vs descriptive) makes it hard to tell whats really "ripping off" or not. Especially since almost everyone can relate to the words power armor, and drop pod.
I'm assuming that you have not read the book, so I highly recommend that you pick it up. I was gobsmacked when I read it in high school at just how much of modern military sci-fi has its roots in it. Big things like power armor bugs, and drop pods, of course, but also small details like female drop ship pilots.

Quote:
Of coarse, yes, the two ships dont look exactly alike as I posted above, but the general shape of the ships are. a large block at the front, a thinner neck and large engines at the back.
Indeed. The Klingons should sue.

Actually, I would argue that the Terran battlecruiser

drew far more direct inspiration from this ship

than this one

Sorry about the silly number of pics, but hey, this is a forum about a sci-fi tabletop game! Who here is going to complain about too many cool pictures of spaceships?
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 09:11 AM

Samir_Duran's Flag is: Poland

awww.... You know, i originated as a SC fan... when i first saw the Dawn of War gameplay i thought: "Maaan! it's a rip off of StarCraft... but crap, I'll play, it looks better than SC". I played and yet, everything seemed different. THen i read something on the internet, and it showed up, that GW is 10 years at least older than StarCraft... then i bagun to see the ISNPIRATIONS that Blizzard have. We have Marines and Tanks for the Terrans that are from SM and IG, we have Zergs that can be a mixture of Tyranids and Chaos Marines, and Protoss, much like Eldars and Dark Eldars,m with a mixture of Dreadnaught in the form of Dragoon.

Now i see the great differencies, but i still don't think, that Blizzard ripped off of GW... i say they were really inspired... Who knows? maybe they just didn't get the license or somethin'?? Anyways, it's not that all SC fans ( I'm still one) are like that ^^'

"Incompetence breeds even more incompetence..."
- Megatron

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 02:19 PM

JokerGod's Flag is: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir_Duran View Post
awww.... You know, i originated as a SC fan... when i first saw the Dawn of War gameplay i thought: "Maaan! it's a rip off of StarCraft... but crap, I'll play, it looks better than SC". I played and yet, everything seemed different. THen i read something on the internet, and it showed up, that GW is 10 years at least older than StarCraft... then i bagun to see the ISNPIRATIONS that Blizzard have. We have Marines and Tanks for the Terrans that are from SM and IG, we have Zergs that can be a mixture of Tyranids and Chaos Marines, and Protoss, much like Eldars and Dark Eldars,m with a mixture of Dreadnaught in the form of Dragoon.

Now i see the great differencies, but i still don't think, that Blizzard ripped off of GW... i say they were really inspired... Who knows? maybe they just didn't get the license or somethin'?? Anyways, it's not that all SC fans ( I'm still one) are like that ^^'
When you look past one game and look at everything Blizzard has created over its existance and you will see how all of there games (SHort of Diablo1-2-LOD) are "inspired" to the point where they are blatant copy of other games that are out at the time with nothing more than a change in visual quality.

Eyes with out life.
Maggot ridden corpses.
Mountains of skulls.
These are some of my favorite things.

post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 04:08 PM

And Tyranids are a rip off of Darwin, and Amphibious Chimeras are a rip off of Jesus, and Tau rip off aquariums, and Cadians ripped off M*A*S*H.

Let the lawyers sort out when IP has been stolen, and let us play the damn game(s).
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-07-09, 09:17 PM

cool_conoly's Flag is: Australia

40k and Starcraft have both evolved from Starship Troopers! The reality is Everything in a Sci-Fi themed universe is going to be borrowed from somehwere! If you have ever read the Starship Troopers book you will see that the Mobile infantry from the book are essentially Space Marines! The new Cadian models are clearly based around the Mobile infantry from the movie aswell! Yes Starcraft Borrowed from 40k but 40k borrows from others aswell, But jesus 40k and Starcraft are both awesome so who cares!

Hesesy Begets Power
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_conoly View Post
40k and Starcraft have both evolved from Starship Troopers! The reality is Everything in a Sci-Fi themed universe is going to be borrowed from somehwere! If you have ever read the Starship Troopers book you will see that the Mobile infantry from the book are essentially Space Marines! The new Cadian models are clearly based around the Mobile infantry from the movie aswell! Yes Starcraft Borrowed from 40k but 40k borrows from others aswell, But jesus 40k and Starcraft are both awesome so who cares!
I have read the book, and watched the movies, there "Mobile Infantry" are nothing like Space marines in WarHammer. just because they use the word "power Armor" dos not make it the same.

Here is a simple question to people who don't belive that blizzard dos nothing but rip off other games and never have an original idea. Go look the original StarCraft design team, then do a check on them and see what they did before and where they went when WoW killed there jobs.

While your there look up the same info for the WoW team. Its a funny story.

Eyes with out life.
Maggot ridden corpses.
Mountains of skulls.

post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-08-09, 11:44 PM

Don't know why anybody cares about this? We are all lucky enough to have a game you enjoy playing in a world full of blood sucking lawyers to settle this sort of thing. Please, lets not stoop that low...

I hate this sort of bickering BS.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-09, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmithwc04 View Post
Don't know why anybody cares about this? We are all lucky enough to have a game you enjoy playing in a world full of blood sucking lawyers to settle this sort of thing. Please, lets not stoop that low...

I hate this sort of bickering BS.
Some of us just get board and enjoy a little verbal joust over the internet.

Nothing we say will change anything and no one really gives a shit who wins. its just about who is more board.

Eyes with out life.
Maggot ridden corpses.
Mountains of skulls.

post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-09-09, 01:08 AM

in that case... touche.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode