Gaming Mat - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Default Gaming Mat

I was hoping the good people of heresy could help me out with this one. Unsurprisingly, I can't stand playing on plain white surfaces, which is what I am forced to do when my friends come over, as the only suitable area for battle is the clean white sheets of my double bed. Obviously we tart it up with scenery but it does detract from the game, not only because it doesn't look realistic, but that tall or heavy models constantly topple over due to the flexible nature of the bed. The dining table is far too small, there is no adequate floor space and there is no room to store a massive 6x4 board as I live in a moderately sized British house.

Does anyone know of any gaming mats that are sturdy enough to counter the supple mattress, and create a more stable gaming experience? And preferably something that looks good. I'd rather something urban and greyish but Id happily look into flock mats also.

Thnx in adv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 10:47 AM
Triaspia's Flag is: Australia

While i cant really suggest much in the line of game mats, I too only have my bedroom for space to play when friends come over (mainly so siblings dont bother us) and to solve the problem of keeping an 8x4' piece of wood in my bedroom I made it so the board will fold up to be only 2x4' which easily fits under my single bed just fine.

If you have the tools or know someone who does, buy the board and some hinges, cut the board into 4 panels, and hinge them together (hinge the middle cut the opposite way to the other two) Its not not a perfect solution but I like the result I got with mine,

heres a link to how mine turned out: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...390#post347390

either that or just buy a green sheet and place some books under it for support
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the tip, not much of a wood-worker and don't think I ever once even managed to saw in a strait line in workshop, but worth a look into.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 11:11 AM

my dad couldnt cut straight either lol, but the board still fits together nicely
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 12:54 PM

vacantghost's Flag is: Taiwan

you could have modular boards. It's a solution and a chance for you to enjoy bigger games on a more exciting .. scene you could say. it's just cutting a 6x4 board into how ever many pieces you feel suitable and when you want to play, just put them together to a way you like. saves space, and you can put it together as pleased

Altruism is bullshit, and you know it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 01:46 PM

jaren's Flag is: USA

usually where you go and buy the sheet of wood the shop could cut it to the size you need if not to crazy, and one cut 4 feet long isn't crazy.

another thing you could do is depending on the size of the kitchen table build a wood piece that would set on-top of that for gaming, much easier if you ask me, just remember to put some cloth or glue felt to the bottom so mom doesn't shank you for scratching her finish.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 02:18 PM

I asked if the placed i got it from could cut it (general hardware store) but they said they didnt have the tools to do something that big

oh well
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 03:50 PM

go to b&q and pick up some chip board loft panels. they cost £5 and come in packs of 3. thayre about 4ft by 1ft and slot together lovely. i use them cos i dont have room in my flat for a permanent gaming table.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 04:10 PM

jaren's Flag is: USA

a hardware store without tools to cut wood? wow a hand saw could do that, those guys are nuts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 10:14 PM

yeah but who wants to sit there and make 12' worth of cuts?

Even though some (ok most) of the cut is a little wonky , its still reasonably straight, and when its laid down for a game you cant even tell (well except for the tiny gap between the boards for the hinges but nothing can be done about that)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode