Gaming Mat - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-09, 10:27 PM

Or you could go the pricier but more nicely done rout and pick up the GW modular gaming board, they come cut and fit together nicely without any hinge gaps :p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-09, 12:06 AM

marcch's Flag is: Canada

Do you have any pink or blue insulation foam panel available locally? I purchased 2 panels in 1" thick x 2'x 8' long pieces. Cut them into 2' x 4' pieces and you have the basis for 4' x 4', 4' x 6' or 4' x 8' gaming tables. Paint one side black and the other green and you can switch between urban or country battles. You can even mix them up.
Next you need two lengths of 1" aluminum siding corner trim to slide them into along each long board edge. You could also put velcro on the mating edges to help keep them together instead. You now have a modular board that can be configured to three sizes. Please remember to use craft paint or the foam will melt. My cost in Canada was about $50.00 in total.

If your plan seems to be working...something's wrong
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-09, 05:20 AM
Banned

If you have money to spend I would suggest the realm of battle square buy 4 of them they are pre-fab by GW but they aren't too bad. If not go to your local hardware store that sells sheets of wood and get them to cut you 4-6 squares of wood that are 2'x2' or 24"x24", I would say a cheap thick (though heavy) chip board should cost around $30 (well from where I am) so about 20 Pounds at the most and then but some cheap flat black spray and coat them all on one side and but a medium - dark grey spray and go over it. After that's done you can do a quick spray in spots to show up some black over it giving a road like texture without lines.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-09, 04:04 PM

I've only got limited space at home, so generally end up using the floor with an old style GW battlemat (the rolled version).

However today I went into Lidl's a UK supermarket chain and they had 1m x 2m grass effect mats with rubber backing for £5.95, the surface is great for miniatures, and because of the rubber non slip backing lays out flat without curling. They are tough and hardwearing and are just what I needed.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-09, 04:13 PM

marcch's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotharbubonicus View Post
I've only got limited space at home, so generally end up using the floor with an old style GW battlemat (the rolled version).

However today I went into Lidl's a UK supermarket chain and they had 1m x 2m grass effect mats with rubber backing for 5.95, the surface is great for miniatures, and because of the rubber non slip backing lays out flat without curling. They are tough and hardwearing and are just what I needed.
Sounds great! Just find something firm, even thick cardboard, to put under it and you're set. Good luck!

If your plan seems to be working...something's wrong

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode