Learning the Rules - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-09, 02:41 PM

timsmith's Flag is: United Kingdom

I stopped playing in 3rd edition and restared in 5th. It wasnt to bad much of teh basic rules were the same just a few different rules to change in your head. Its not so much reading through the rule book and memorising it all, its when it comes to that rule that isnt too clear and doesnt come up much that i have to refer back to the book.

On the whole i like 5th ed rules except blast weapons. Im just not a fan at all!! But you cant like everything.

I find the best way to learn the rules is to just play a few games with different opponents as every one's different and has a different take on the rules as some 1 else. And then you can clarifie it and expand your knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-09, 10:46 PM

Unfortunately, my games are few and far between and I started in 3rd edition and started back up in 5th, so some times I relapse to 3rd.

Other than that I usually triple check the charts, rules are pretty solid though.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-09, 11:35 PM

I have a system, I learn just what aplys to me and my army, and take everyone else at their word. That works pretty well, as the store owner sort of patrolls the boards and catches any "mistakes" about the rules. Therefore the time it takes me to learn the new edition is a tiny fraction what it would be, because I only have to remember some of it. I dont even bother with missions, I just read them from the book as they become nesicary to know.

"A true king is never alone, his will is equal to the will of all of his followers."
-Alexander the Great, kind of

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-09, 01:51 AM

maybe around 2 weeks for 5th ed. , but i still look in the AOBR book just to make sure
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-09, 08:25 AM

Sebi's Flag is: Germany

I started last year as well with 5th edition and I admit I still forget and mix up rulez within the edition... but I dare to say I am solid now.
The problem is... to learn the rulez I guess one needs practice and a good partner that knows the rulez... We have that not every time we play...

But what really gets me is people that don't know the race's rulez!
ok... we all were beginners but I know one guy that plays his DH for over 2 years and still doesn't know his stuff..
I know my orks in every way...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode