Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

The future of Space Marines??

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Kreuger 
#1 ·
What do you think the future hold for regular space marines? Do you think G.W will slowly "squat" regular marines and totally replace them with primeris marines, or keep them as minor faction to bulk out the more expensive primeris marines.

I personally think they're going to get phased out, unfortunately. I would rather G.W just said they were rescaling their marines and tweeking the rules to better represent marines on the tabletop in accordance with the fluff, rather than this primeris nonsense.

So what do you Heretics think? Are regular marines going extinct or relegated out of the premier league?

#2 ·
I'm doubtful they will phase out the normal marines any time soon if at all. There still exist more than a few chapters that are wary or do not accept the primaris marines and the additional implants.

Its no different than the fact that there are chapters which loosely or barely adhere to the codex astertes.

#3 ·
Given that the rescale seemed to be the original motivation I rather expect the next version of the Tactical Squad (if any) to use the Primaris aesthetic myself. Not sure if they'll actually switch the rules out though.

#6 ·
I suspect there will be a change but not "end times" drastic. The underlying business reasons for those types of changes are pretty different.

Fantasy they felt they needed tho entirely reshape the world for fluff, copyright, and sales reasons.

40k is much more successful already. I think they're looking to move the setting forward a bit and improve the range. The renaissance we're seeing lately is already meeting the business need. What thet likely still lack is a consistent miniature range in plastic.

They'll likely keep regular marines around for a while because of how much the player base has invested. It's certainly a business opportunity to try and push some to buy new primaris models..... unless they do what Khorne's first suggested, phrase them out, and maybe state that all marines now have primaries stats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.