About the shaman origin - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-18, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Default About the shaman origin

Even ignoring my other thread where I gave links to Realm of Chaos: The Lost and The Damned, Lexicanum cites the book for the shaman origin.

Realm of Chaos: The Lost and The Damned is cited for the shaman origin at the bottom of the Emperor's Lexicanum page with the other cited sources. I have Realm of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness and Realm of Chaos: The Lost and The Damned as Christmas presents. I saw someone named Prince Endymion on here say the shaman origin is a theory that was not published anywhere at all. If he is still here, then I take it you haven't followed 40k since 1st Edition Rogue Trader or own stuff from the first edition of 40k? Its alright. But do your research (if you are still here) before saying that. The lore of 1st Edition Rogue Trader was awesome.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WARHAMMER...-/382270144333

https://www.amazon.com/Warhammer-40-.../dp/1869893239

https://spikeybits.com/2018/01/nurgl...-of-chaos.html

https://spikeybits.com/2018/01/nurgl...-of-chaos.html

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/...he-damned.html

Last edited by Justcause12345#; 11-07-18 at 05:41 PM. Reason: More info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-18, 04:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcause12345# View Post
then I take it you haven't followed 40k since 1st Edition Rogue Trader or own stuff from the first edition of 40k? Its alright. But do your research (if you are still here) before saying that.
I neither own things from the days of rogue trader nor have I ever played first edition (or second edition for that matter.) Not everyone has, in fact fewer and fewer people will have met either of those criteria when it comes to 40k. These days the shaman origin is hazy and seems to be a bit left in the dust by GW.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-18, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
I neither own things from the days of rogue trader nor have I ever played first edition (or second edition for that matter.) Not everyone has, in fact fewer and fewer people will have met either of those criteria when it comes to 40k. These days the shaman origin is hazy and seems to be a bit left in the dust by GW.

Are you Endymion? The shaman origin was printed in 1st Edition Rogue Trader.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-18, 01:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Are you Endymion? The shaman origin was printed in 1st Edition Rogue Trader.
What? No I'm not.

I know that the shaman origin was printed in first edition, you've said it repeatedly. Did you actually read what I wrote? Its been nearly three decades since the shaman origin was created, and unless I'm mistaken it was never brought into further editions since then.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-18, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
What? No I'm not.

I know that the shaman origin was printed in first edition, you've said it repeatedly. Did you actually read what I wrote? Its been nearly three decades since the shaman origin was created, and unless I'm mistaken it was never brought into further editions since then.

Alright. But why did Endymion say that? Was he too young to know about the lore from 1st Edition Rogue Trader? I wouldn't be surprised if it was older than him.

Last edited by Justcause12345#; 09-11-18 at 11:59 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-18, 09:09 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Alright. But why did Endymion say that? Was he too young to know about the lore from 1st Edition Rogue Trader. I wouldn't be surprised if it was older than him.
Many things from RT have been retconned in the editions since then, so using those books as a source of up to date canon is a flawed approach.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-18, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Many things from RT have been retconned in the editions since then, so using those books as a source of up to date canon is a flawed approach.

There is no canon. ADB has said this on Reddit. and so have many other authors.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-18, 12:25 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
There is no canon. ADB has said this on Reddit. and so have many other authors.
Ok mate, you know best. You're obviously not interested in starting an actual discussion, preferring to loudly correct perceived errors in random long dead threads, so good luck with that.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-18, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Ok mate, you know best. You're obviously not interested in starting an actual discussion, preferring to loudly correct perceived errors in random long dead threads, so good luck with that.

Sorry if I came off as a jerk. What can we discuss? I was saying Endymion was wrong. The shaman origin was printed in 1st Edition Rogue Trader.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-18, 08:33 PM
Feed

Quote:
Sorry if I came off as a jerk. What can we discuss? I was saying Endymion was wrong. The shaman origin was printed in 1st Edition Rogue Trader.

There's no discussion to be had if you're not willing to budge on this. Long standing lore in second and third edition codexes has been retconned in more recent editions, stories told in codexes are sometimes contradicted by novels, and novels occasionally completely get the lore wrong. To claim something is canon simply because it existed in the first edition is folly, especially considering it has never been mentioned since.

Trying to pin specific things down as canon gets harder the further back the lore goes, especially given the amount of things that have changed since then. Just as a few examples, there were no mentions of Perpetuals in earlier editions, and the lore regarding Living Saints was much less fleshed out. The role the necrons had in the wider setting has been thrown into question, and the very nature of the Warp itself has been altered with the introduction of the material called Blackstone just this edition.

The Emperor could simply be a powerful psyker and a perpetual for all we know. He could be using Chaos Himself. He could be manipulating Blackstone somehow. There simply isn't enough confirmed anymore to say with absolute clarity that the Shaman Origin is canon, even if it is still cited on pages like Lexicanum.

And given that many younger/newer players aren't even aware of the older lore, trying to assert it is more or less pointless.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode