Couple of 8th edition questions - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shandathe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-12-18, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Bat

Default Couple of 8th edition questions

gues Im guna have to buy the big hardback rule book soon..

currently i have index imperium 2 and the newest guard codex

couple questions...

1st, can characters join units, like how do my command squads work?

2nd, how line of sight work when trying to fire through units? if a unit has another unit infront of it can it ever fire? like if they are widely spaced apart giving some line of sight?, same with characters, how dense does the unit need to be to cover a character behind it?

3rd, pistols in close combat, can you only use the pistol if ur stuck in 1" range during the shoot phase, or can you fire it in the combat phase ever?

4th what if any in my guard codex is relevant knowledge? like are the heirlooms still a thing?

Last edited by Bat; 07-12-18 at 03:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-15-18, 12:01 AM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

First off, let me link you to the free Core Rules. It's basically the combat rules (and ONLY those) from the rule book. Those will actually answer your first 3 questions, though I've included the answers below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat View Post
1st, can characters join units, like how do my command squads work?
Not as such, but characters (with less than 10 Wounds) can ONLY be targeted if there is no non-character unit closer to the people that want to kill it. So if a Command Squad (or any other squad or tank) is standing in front of your Company Commander, he is safe... well, until his cover inevitably dies or your enemy deepstrikes behind him Note your Command Squads are particularly versatile Veterans, so don't just use them for cover.

Quote:
2nd, how line of sight work when trying to fire through units? if a unit has another unit infront of it can it ever fire? like if they are widely spaced apart giving some line of sight?, same with characters, how dense does the unit need to be to cover a character behind it?
Units don't offer cover to each other anymore. They can admittedly completely block line of sight, which blocks shooting (in both directions).

Quote:
3rd, pistols in close combat, can you only use the pistol if ur stuck in 1" range during the shoot phase, or can you fire it in the combat phase ever?
If you're stuck in CC, you can still use the pistol in the Shooting phase (unlike all other weapon types).

Quote:
4th what if any in my guard codex is relevant knowledge? like are the heirlooms still a thing?
Everything in the latest (8th Edition) Guard Codex is still relevant, though you'll want to check the Errata for it on the Warhammer Community site. If you're interested in Matched Play, some of the Point Costs have gotten updated in Chapter Approved - there will likely be a 2018 edition of it in a few months, so I'd suggest against picking up the 2017 edition.
darkreever likes this.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.

Last edited by Shandathe; 07-15-18 at 12:03 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode