Getting back up to speed - Orks - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-18, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Minigiant's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Getting back up to speed - Orks

Unfortunately life took me away from the hobby for a while, and while still following the lore, I have fallen completely out of the loop regarding playing and designing army lists.

My favourite aspect is doing 'Army projects' where I start with a vision for the army, and once complete take it to events to share it alongside other beautiful armies.

My chosen project this time is Orks. It will be a nice change from my previous armies. Guard, Tau, Marines.

The theme I want is a Feral Nomadic Squiggoth herding tribe. I am picturing lots of Squiggoths with a few gargatuan squiggoths. All the big howdas on the back. Think LotR Mumak.

How do you think I can best put this into an army list, that could be with minimal tweaking acceptable for most events. Are multiple LoW acceptable?

What detachments?

I am at square 1 regarding army composition building, and would love to here your thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-18, 06:18 AM
Feed

It would probably be pushing it to run more than one gargantuan squiggoth in your list unless your opponent has a similarly equipped list. There's no explicit rule about it but including LOW units is generally something I try to agree or disagree with my opponents beforehand. If I recall right the regular squiggoths are a heavy choice, so there is no issue there. Keep in mind however that per the new Errata and FAQ, there are restrictions on how many of the same datasheet can be included in a list.

If you plan on running in tournaments or playing games at GW stores, you'll need to take all of this into account. If you tend towards more casual games with friends, the best thing to do is discuss with them how important the rules around restrictions are.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-18, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Minigiant's Flag is: United Kingdom

For arguements sake lets say Grand Tournament standard rules

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-18, 07:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minigiant View Post
For arguements sake lets say Grand Tournament standard rules
Unless I've missed something, GT standard rules are two thousand points and up to three detachments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
It would probably be pushing it to run more than one gargantuan squiggoth in your list unless your opponent has a similarly equipped list.
Why? Outside of having a decent toughness and a lot of wounds a gargantuan squiggoth is quite a point sink (450-500). And combined with only having a +4 save, a lot of multi wound dealing weapons will be punching through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
There's no explicit rule about it but including LOW units is generally something I try to agree or disagree with my opponents beforehand.
What about if someone wants to field a knight army? Disagreeing kinda means no game

Quote:
How do you think I can best put this into an army list, that could be with minimal tweaking acceptable for most events. Are multiple LoW acceptable?
Well you have access to something in the ballpark of a dozen detachments to choose from. The most common one will be the battalion, requiring you to take two HQ's and three troops and giving you access to up to three heavy support choices.

In the case of this army the spearhead detachment is also a good choice, requiring only a single HQ and at least three heavy support choices.

However neither detachment allows you to take lord of war units, in this case the gargantuan squiggoth. For that you would need to take either a super heavy detachment or a super heavy auxiliary detachment.

Quote:
What detachments?

I am at square 1 regarding army composition building, and would love to here your thoughts
Assuming your looking to stay away from most vehicles, a spearhead and super heavy aux detachment are great options. In order to try and maximize command points, you would need a battalion and super heavy detachment; but each gargantuan squiggoth runs you over 400 points and you would need 3 so while its possible to make a list its not going to do that well.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-18, 09:07 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Why? Outside of having a decent toughness and a lot of wounds a gargantuan squiggoth is quite a point sink (450-500). And combined with only having a +4 save, a lot of multi wound dealing weapons will be punching through.
True but in a tourney environment you don't know your opponents beforehand. If you faced a balanced list that had limited such options available, advantage would be yours assuming you could throw up any expendable unit to protect your otherwise invincible battering ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
What about if someone wants to field a knight army? Disagreeing kinda means no game
I've never met such a player, and on the one instance I was told of a player bringing such a list to our local store, he also brought a backup list in case nobody wanted to face it.

I'm not sure what the scene is elsewhere, but everywhere I've played has been less about crushing victories and more about actually having good games.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode