How to the various Space Marines work? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-17, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Default How to the various Space Marines work?

Newb here.

As I'm bouncing back and forth between what army I want to start with, every time I see something that looks awesome...it makes it harder to choose. And there's a lot of awesome so....I'm probably going to have to just get drunk one evening and place and order and then see what comes and go from there...lol

Anyways...when it comes to the various different SM chapters....I know some have (or will have) their own Codex so those will definitely be different from the others. Grey Knights, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, ect. But for those that won't have their own codex...are there any rules or play differences between them and a standard SM?

Is it just going to be a color scheme and fluff difference or are there small differences that are in the SM codex that gives them some different rules?

There's so many awesome looking variants...it's hard to decide on an army.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-17, 07:33 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Hey, can't help but notice you've got two near identical threads going on.

The Codex: SM armies all kind of play the same but with subtle tweaks in strategy while the satellite Codex books (BA, SW, GK, etc) offer quite different options in terms of units and strategies employed.

Ultimately they are still a little samey as the core units are all Space Marines.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-17, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Yeah...I guess I do...haha...I totally forgot I had that thread posted. My brain has been fried trying to figure this out and decide on where to start and sadly 2 weeks later after the original thread...I'm not any better off as far as trying to nail it down. I know it shouldn't be that difficult...but for some reason...it is. So I'll re-visit my original thread and this one can be disregarded.

Last edited by Nubster; 10-16-17 at 12:32 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-17, 01:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Overall, yes each of the chapters has differing rules. Chapters like the Ultramarines, Raven Guard, Imperial Fists, and Iron Hands (to just name a few) are all generally the same with each having a few unique rules (Raven Guard impose a penalty on opponents shooting at units beyond a certain range, Imperial Fists get a bonus when shooting certain weapons, Ultramarines get rerolls for morale, Iron Hands get a bonus save to avoid damage, etc.)

Chapters like the Grey Knights, Space Wolves, or Blood Angels have drastically different rules or layouts that alter the way they play compared to other chapters. Space Wolves are more character heavy, Grey Knights are a bit tougher with a lot of psychic units, and Blood Angels employ faster units. These chapters have their own unique units (stormwolf, dreadknight, and honour guard to give examples) in addition to unique rules.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode