Planning out my first units wargear - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-17, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Default Planning out my first units wargear

So I decided that I am going to play Chaos Space Marines as my first army. I just bought the start collecting box (1 terminator lord, 1 tactical squad, and 1 hellbrute) I also purchased a terminator box that comes with a terminator lord. And an ex-chaos player at my shop is going to sell me 3 Obliterators and about 15 cultists (for about $25 which I think is a great deal)

So I'm really excited to begin my commitment to the Dark Gods and I sat down earlier to plan out my tactical squad but as a new player I feel overwhelmed by the options. I don't have a good understanding of the various weapons as far as what's considered good and bad, or in general, this is more or an anti-vehicle weapon and this is more anti-infantry etc.

I am planning on running an Iron Warriors themed army so I already plan on having lots of heavy units like: Hellbrute, Defiler, Forgefiend, Maulerfiend, Havocs. Maybe not use them all in the same list every time but these are models I will plan on getting. I also plan on getting one squad of khorne berzerkers.

So how does a new player go about selecting the weaponry for his tactical squad and then eventually other units like havocs and terminators? I'm afraid of building an army and then find out after a few games, I really messed up on the weapons I selected.

"Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow" -Auron, FFX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-17, 04:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima Bahamut 93 View Post
I also plan on getting one squad of khorne berzerkers.
They are definately a hard hitting unit, provided you get them into close combat. Though from a fluff point of view they are pretty uncommon for Iron Warriors (who, generally, do not seek the favour of the chaos gods and look down on those that do) though not completely unheard of.

Quote:
So how does a new player go about selecting the weaponry for his tactical squad and then eventually other units like havocs and terminators?
By playtesting them, simple as that. Your not going to know if you like the way a certain weapon plays unless you try it.

Quote:
I'm afraid of building an army and then find out after a few games, I really messed up on the weapons I selected.
What some people tend to do is magnatize certain models so that they can swap out weapons. That way if, say, lascannons are not performing that well for your havocs you can swap them out for something else.

Part of weapon selection is all about the role you need the given unit to fulfill in your army. The basic chaos marine squad is good at being a mid range objective holder but can also be good at close range support. Arming them with flamers, plasma guns, or meltaguns is generally the go to for most people and heavy weapons are left to havocs. In 7th edition the entire squad had to fire at the same target, so you would take two of the same special weapon in order to maximize effectiveness. 8th edition allows you to fire at multiple targets with the same squad, so while multiples of the same special weapon can still be more effective, taking loadouts like a meltagun and flamer have their own benefits.

In general, assuming you are going to be taking a squad of ten chaos marines I would recommend giving them a pair of plasmaguns if they have no transport. If they do have a transport, then arm them with a meltagun and flamer.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-17, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

I know that they usually have distrust when it comes to the gods of chaos but i took inspiration Storm of Iron where there was small cult of Khorne Berzerkers though the rest of the legion somewhat looked down on them.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-17, 12:08 PM

Loran's Flag is: Finland

In general, Iron Warriors (along with at least the Night Lords) don't favour any of the Chaos gods and look down upon those who do. However, all legions had some members who fell to the worship of specific gods, so it's not unheard of. The same goes for the Possessed Marines in those Legions.

And of course, in the end it is YOUR army, so you can do what you want with your models

[Hyarion] Warning! Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode