8th Ed 40k is fantastic - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-17, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Xenos characters such as my necron lords and overlords, Tyrant and broodlord only seem able to buff one unit at a time.
The broodlord and Necron lord bubble abilities can be used on multiple units in a given turn. The overlord ability 'my will be done' is one of the extremely few abilities that can only be used on a single unit a turn.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-17, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
The broodlord and Necron lord bubble abilities can be used on multiple units in a given turn. The overlord ability 'my will be done' is one of the extremely few abilities that can only be used on a single unit a turn.
Aye, but their abilities are too circumstantial. Realistically the necron lord's reroll to my morale is almost never going to be a problem, as necron units tend to be small and resilient enough to either pass the test or they'll be wiped out anyway. And the broodlord is great with genestealers but after multiple games I've had just as much luck splitting them up.

Captains and lieutenants give a blanket reroll to attacks to all units nearby. I've felt firsthand how devastating that can be, especially when the bastards work together. Three squads laying on the hurt with rerolls, plus the guns on the characters themselves. Any of my Overlords can only buff a single unit each. What the standard lord offers just doesn't appeal compared to that.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-17, 07:53 PM

Kharn The Complainer's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

My friend and I finally found time to play a game. We really enjoyed the new rules and found that after a slow first and second round, we got the hang of it quickly.
I was destroying his death guard army nicely, until his Lord of Contagion killed my Captain in a single round of combat. He scored 3 wounds and I failed to save any of them. If we were playing it right, the Lord of Contagion does 3 damage on each wound, so it killed my Captain outright.
That tipped the casualty points in his favour and we called it a day to get lunch. That horrible noxious cloud shit that the Lord of Contagion has is also evil. On a +4 you cause 1 mortal wound on a model! I mean, wtf?

It turns out that Chaos has their own band...
https://youtu.be/rTGzcdq0_NQ

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-17, 03:22 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharn The Complainer View Post
He scored 3 wounds and I failed to save any of them. If we were playing it right, the Lord of Contagion does 3 damage on each wound, so it killed my Captain outright.
You played it correctly, high damage weapons are a real threat.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-17, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Feed

The monstrous scything talons on a hive tyrant do 3 wounds, and the massive scything talons on the tervigon and trygon do d6.

So on a good (or bad) day, the tervigon will slay a character with one attack. That shit never happened in the older editions.

There is a definite strategic element to choosing your targets now, but still room for a lot of lols and fuckery. I like that.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Last edited by Serpion5; 08-26-17 at 03:01 AM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-17, 06:36 PM

Trump's Flag is: USA

What's with super charging plasma weapons? as though people are going to risk their lives just to shoot an opponent?

moon boots, ski jacket, floppy hat, bang on.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-17, 12:09 AM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Aside from the fact that it lifts plasma strength, it outright doubles damage, so it's fantastic against multi-wound models (Primaris marines, Terminators, vehicles). If these happen to improve your odds of killing things, it may well be worth it. Plasma AP means wounds are likely to STICK.

Example 1: Devastator Squad, 4 Plasma Cannons. For 'normal' plasma strength goes from 7 to 8... so wounds T4 on 2+ instead of 3+, and it improves your odds on T7/8 vehicles as well. Potential damage with average number of shots goes from 8 (4 x 2 x 1) to 16 (4 x 2 x 2).
Example 2: A squad of 10 Hellblasters can potentially pump out a rather fantastic 40 wounds a turn instead of 20.

As you only blow yourself up on a 1 (unless you're taking negative To Hit modifiers - and if you do, DON'T supercharge), you can mitigate the risk with various leaders and abilities that allow rerolls of Hit rolls of 1, such as the Space Marine Captain or Astra Militarum "Take Aim!" order. Given that missing plasma is a giant waste, these are useful enough even when you are NOT supercharging, so this isn't much of a cost.
darkreever and Old Man78 like this.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-17, 12:20 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

So I dusted my Space Wolves off the other night for the first time since the Stormclaw set came out. Back in 5th ed I loved walkers but when 6th hit they got shelved because of how easy they died. Friday night I fielded Bjorn, Murderfang, and the Axe/Storm Shield Ven Dread. They all three were amazing in terms of performance. The changes from Hull Points to high toughness with wounds is awesome. They are quite durable now and they continue to perform well even as they take wounds since they do not have degrading profiles. Makes me wish I had a bunch of Ork walkers to go with my Orks.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-18, 11:15 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Only recently got 8th rules and new marine codex, to be honest I was initially worried that some things were overly simplified and that the points system was off but after a couple of read throughs and watching some video battle reports it actually looks pretty slick and really customisable. It has definitely spurred me to dig into the sprue pile and stop being a 40k dabbler and get to being a 40k groupie!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode