Why do people hate the Ultramarines? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 266 (permalink) Old 10-27-08, 07:19 PM

Red Orc got this right spot on. Its because the Ultras are seen as THE space marines and that they get all the new releases/rules. When in fact they just happen to be another Chapter in amongst thousands of others. The use of the Ultra Chapter by GW on the product packaging is to help us identify product instore when buying. Im sure this must happen with other armies ie all eldar same, Orks all same etc. On top of that GW does appear to use the Ultras in a lot of other material from tutorials to cover art etc. All these other images just go to enforce our perception that Ultras are THE space marines. So in my opinion its over exposure to the Ultras as to why folk dont entirely like them.

I am green therefore I am
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 266 (permalink) Old 10-27-08, 08:33 PM

countchocula86's Flag is: Canada

As others have stated, I mostly dislike the Ultramarines because they are the main GW army, 'daddys boys' as it were. Add to that, the fact that they are such goody goody rule followers. They the norm, the baseline. Ultramarines are the unadorned plain vanilla sundae of the WH40K world, and frankly I like sprinkles.

Sometimes it just feels like they are the army that involves no creativity. (I know thats not strictly true, but it has that feeling sometime) They are sort of spoon fed army, in that GW builds and disseminates the fluff for them, and people just "blindly obey"

I do, however, quite like the paint scheme of the army.

But in the end, I dont think people really hate the Smurfs, its more that they are the GW mould army, used to illustrate points, and really the fun is in taking the foundation and building your own unique army on top of that.

ps. Im not intending to trod on UM players toes, the above are just my personal feelings.
post #23 of 266 (permalink) Old 10-27-08, 10:39 PM

Wraithian's Flag is: USA

Red Orc, bang-on target, as usual.

My personal contempt (if I were to use such a strong word for it) really isn't the UM's, but in "Codex Chapters" in general. As I've stated before, Chaos got stripped of it's options and general, "fluffiness," for the sake of streamlining, and streamlining was the *supposed* way of 5th ed codecis, then I took a look at the new "Codex: Fanboy" and about sold my stuff on e-bay. Since, a more even-tempered approach has been adapted, and I'm okay now.

For you folks who've played codex chapters for a while, I have respect for you, as I do for anyone who's been playing for a while, and I can appreciate where you're at when it comes to having a new codex thrown your way, it's a good feeling, there's no denying. I remember feeling the same way when the 4th ed Chaos 'dex came out (anyone else remember the abortion from 3rd ed known as, "Pamphlet: Chaos?").

The reason I jokingly (mind my humor, it's a tad dark, and a bit cynical--if you can't laugh at yourself and all that, right?) refer to the new marine codex as "Codex: Fanboy" is due to the insane amount of new folks getting into them (as with any comparison I make, according to my own demigraphic), not for the models (hell, one kid I know who got into vanilla marines hates the models), but for the power of the dex, and the power alone. One of my friends got into marines, after playing chaos for years, as he says, "I feel it's the only way I can keep up, anymore." Another guy (and an idea I've even given some consideration to) is using his chaos marines with the new marine dex as a "counts as" renegade army.

So, (for those of you who skipped my "Block O'Text" to the conclusion) I feel it isn't the UM's specifically. It's codex marines in general. Not because of any one reason, but for a few. Probably the biggest being balance and attention. I don't think the ridiculous amount of time between one codex release and the next is due to time taken to write the thing as much as it is to coincide with new model releases, which makes a certain amount of sense. But, to those who don't play codex marines, it's a kick in the teeth, seeing as we still have 3rd edition codecis floating around.

Speaking of, I have much respect for you DE and Nec players out there. Sticking with your armies, even though you've been given no love for two editions now.

Balance in all things...

Level me up! I, too, wish to storm the lands of mortals reaping what is truly mine...but for now, I am but a wee spot of energy...

Clicky!

"I embrace death without fear as I embrace life without regret."

post #24 of 266 (permalink) Old 10-28-08, 12:39 AM
Bleh

Marneus Calgar's Flag is: England

It's a bad emotion call Jealousy
post #25 of 266 (permalink) Old 10-28-08, 02:18 AM
Bringer of the Apocalypse

Deneris's Flag is: Canada

Jealousy? I'd say it's more a healthy dose of contempt.

"That, and sending Leman Russ to make a peaceful arrest? That's like sending a rabid Grizzly Bear to teach Kindergarten." - Cole Deschain
"Deneris - you are a legend." - TheKingElessar
"Chingao...sigh..guess I'll stay a slut then..."- Shogun_Nate
post #26 of 266 (permalink) Old 10-28-08, 03:00 AM
Tactless Tactician

I don;t much care for them, but then again, I don;t run ANY of the "official" chapters.

The fun of building an army, for me, is in making your own.

All I really have against the Smurfs is Calgar... I actually use a proxied Sicarius to get back some of the stuff I lost with Traits.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Dune

The Swordsworn Chapter WAAAAAAGH! GOBSMASH
W: 1 T: 1 L: 6_________________W: 8 T:2 L:6
post #27 of 266 (permalink) Old 10-28-08, 03:43 AM

gwmaniac's Flag is: USA

maybe cuz it's funny to hate the most popular chapter. and wouldn't it be annoying to always play against ultramarines? i've played ten times against ultramarines at my gw. of course, i shouldn't be talking, i have 5,000 points of ultramarines!!
post #28 of 266 (permalink) Old 10-28-08, 03:23 PM

Hidemons's Flag is: Costa Rica

Ultramarines are like the obnoxious "I'm so smart" kid at school who is always sucking up to the teacher. (GW)

Is fancy bread in the heart or in the head
post #29 of 266 (permalink) Old 10-28-08, 04:01 PM

Underground Heretic's Flag is: USA

I remember hearing something about those 'pointy-eared bastards.'

An element of rivalry in competition can help a lot, as long as it's friendly. Some armies are tactical opposites (BA and Tau) while some are trying to out do each other (BT and Orks). The UM are just plastered everywhere by GW and they can easily attract hatred if you haven't played against them. A well played army can engender hatred, or an "overpowered" army. Anyway, having someone to rag on can be a lot of fun if it's all in good fun.

That which doesn't kill me has made a tactical mistake.

Rites of Battle Your source for 40k opinions, news, and hobby updates.

Last edited by Underground Heretic; 10-28-08 at 04:01 PM. Reason: redundant
post #30 of 266 (permalink) Old 10-28-08, 04:54 PM

I hate Ultramarines because they are like the Dallas Cowboys of Space Marines. They always win, GW pushes them like crack-cocaine and they are the Uber-Boyscouts of the 41st millenium. I mean really, the codex makes it sound like Ultras are the only real Space Marines since their Primarch wrote the Codex Astartes and they are the progenetors of more than half the chapters currently active. Basically, I hate them because GW wants everyone to love them. I am an underdog kinda guy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode