Why do people hate the Ultramarines? - Page 24 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #231 of 266 (permalink) Old 04-06-10, 10:09 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Not really, considering the Cadians on their own would be outnumbered and yet they still manage to hold their own just emphasises how undisciplined your average CSM warband is. Plus the fact that the only place more heavily defended than Cadia is Terra itself, well I doubt any of the Traitor Legion's world would last any where near as long if they weren't situated inside the Eye of Terror.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 266 (permalink) Old 04-06-10, 10:10 PM

Ordo Xeno Commander's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Sanguinius View Post
Ahh, so you just listed a bunch of stuff not-quite-as-good as what the chaos space marines can bring to the fight...

Just as I suspected then, isn't it.
Um, what? I'm sorry, last time I checked 20 Space Marine chapters is 20,000 Marines stationed nearby. Not to mention the Battle Fleet, defense systems and Cadia itself. More than a match for what the Chaos Marines bring to the fight considering only 1 out of 13 crusades has been even remotely successful. And even that one got rooted by Necrons eventually.
post #233 of 266 (permalink) Old 04-06-10, 10:15 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

1 out of ?

Not all 13 Black Crusade's objective has been to take or destroy Cadia.

post #234 of 266 (permalink) Old 04-06-10, 10:31 PM

Fortress worlds in 40k are tough to crack. They're explicitly said to have countless systems designed to resist orbital attack, and Cadia's one of the best defended in the universe. That, and its unique structures allow it to restrict the size of any attacking force from the eye of terror.

That said Abaddon is an idiot with a Darth Vader complex and a poor sense of strategy. He still has pretty neat rules and a good miniature though, and anything that fights him one on one in the fluff is going to lose. Badly.
post #235 of 266 (permalink) Old 04-06-10, 10:39 PM

His rules in BFG are hilarious, too.

All of this has happened before.
post #236 of 266 (permalink) Old 04-07-10, 01:18 AM

Soul Hunter's Flag is: Canada

I personally hate the Ultramarines for a few reasons. Chief among said reasons is that they are so f**king straight and narrow. I mean, they have are so unflinchingly loyal and dutiful that they remove all traces of humanity from themselves. They are so loyal and dutiful that it is impossible for me to see them as anything other than machines. Also, they have a tendency to condemn free thinking. The latest Ultramarine who broke with the Codex Astartes, Captain Uriel Ventris, was sent on a rather long quest to regain his honour, even though his breaking with the Codex saved an entire sector.

Cheers

Last edited by Soul Hunter; 04-07-10 at 02:07 AM.
post #237 of 266 (permalink) Old 04-07-10, 01:46 AM

bakoren's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Hunter View Post
I personally hate the Ultramarines for a few reasons. Chief among said reasons is that they are so f**king straight and narrow. I mean, they have are so unflinchingly loyal and dutiful that they remove all traces of humanity from themselves. They are so loyal and dutiful that it is impossible for me to see them as anything other than machines. Also, they have a tendency to condemn free thinking. The latest Ultramarine who broke with the Codex Astartes, Captain Uriel Ventris, was sent on a rather long quest to regain his honour, even though his breaking with the Codex saved an entire sector.
If I remember right, red is for Mods buddy.

I love the Taste of Smurfs in the Morning
Win/Draw/Loss - 4/5/22
post #238 of 266 (permalink) Old 04-07-10, 11:08 AM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato Sicarius View Post
1) Nobody in 40K has even heard of 1337-speak.
fluff quote stating this please.
Quote:
2) How do you know Space Marines even wear underwear? According to old fluff their genitalia was cut-off during the transformation process anyways.
so no genitals = no underwear?.....sure
Quote:
4) Wtf is "ass-bandit" supposed to mean?
*facepalm*
Quote:
5) Do you even know what a chav is? Clearly you don't live in West Denton, Newcastle upon Tyne. Go there, you will be chased out by actual chavs with guns.
yes I know what I chav is, I live in telford, we have the highest percentage population rate of chavs in england.

post #239 of 266 (permalink) Old 04-07-10, 10:45 PM

Cato Sicarius's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
fluff quote stating this please.
I don't normally say this about games like this, but think logically for once. Most people in modern day time don't know what it is, and besides that the people in 40K all speak bastardised mixes of basically every language there is (it differs from world to world).

Quote:
so no genitals = no underwear?.....sure
No, not necessarily. But they're wearing hydraulic super-suits and generally don't bother going to the toilet. The waste is probably simply transported to a removable part of the suit that is later emptied.

Quote:
*facepalm*
What? I genuinely don't know.

Quote:
yes I know what I chav is, I live in telford, we have the highest percentage population rate of chavs in england.
I want facts and figures, please.
post #240 of 266 (permalink) Old 04-07-10, 10:52 PM

I think people dislike them because "everyone" does. I heard a figure, from someone at my GW store (don't know about accuracy), that GW sells more space marines than all the other 40k pieces put together. I think it is slightly natural for people to tend to dislike things that are common, or "mainstream" due to wanting to be different.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode