Why do people hate the Ultramarines? - Page 16 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-23-10, 03:39 AM

Vrykolas2k's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus View Post
It's cool to hate on the Ultramarines-- but why do we do it? What is it about the Thirteenth Legion that's so very despicable? Their color scheme is decent, they're the sort of epitome of Space Marine-ness... but yet, everyone seems to hate them. So, tell me, why do you hate the Ultramarines?

Honestly, the only thing I can think of that's wrong with them is only problematic because they're the sort of iconic Space Marines-- if Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Black Templars, or Space Wolves were in the same position as the sort of GW sample models of sorts, I'd find them as unoriginal when they show up at the table as the Ultramarines. But that's it-- it really just seems like the Ultramarines player just took their cue from GW and didn't put any thought into it when they show up with 2nd Company Ultramarines. I know that's not necessarily the case, because they're a First Founding Chapter and the blue and gold was what the old Legion wore-- but really, that's the only gripe I can come up with. Does it just seem like people can't stand Space Marines in blue because the internet is a forum for anonymous bitching, or can someone enlighten me as to why people actually really do hate the Ultramarines?

I don't hate the Ultramarines, nor any other army.
I hate the new cookie-cutter codices, which for the most part remove any individuality from most of the armies.
Granted, the Space Wolves and Blood Angels are the way they should be (except for the fact we Wolf players no longer get our Leman Russ tank...), but really the only difference between one Chapter and another or one Craftworld and another is the paint scheme; and Chaos Legions are pretty much gone. They can share the special characters these days, which makes one army=another army completely, and takes away the specialness of said characters.
Lame. I don't know if they thought that out 'ere they started releasing the new codices or not.
They may as well let you field armies from two different codices in tournaments.

Vae victus.

"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your damned BOOK!"
-Patton

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-23-10, 05:29 AM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrykolas2k View Post
I don't hate the Ultramarines, nor any other army.
I hate the new cookie-cutter codices, which for the most part remove any individuality from most of the armies.
Granted, the Space Wolves and Blood Angels are the way they should be (except for the fact we Wolf players no longer get our Leman Russ tank...), but really the only difference between one Chapter and another or one Craftworld and another is the paint scheme; and Chaos Legions are pretty much gone. They can share the special characters these days, which makes one army=another army completely, and takes away the specialness of said characters.
Lame. I don't know if they thought that out 'ere they started releasing the new codices or not.
They may as well let you field armies from two different codices in tournaments.
Goodbye 3rd Ed. Chaos Codex... We'll miss you.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
post #153 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-23-10, 07:56 AM

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think that a few of the Chaos Legions will get their own codex. That should keep them characterful. But CSM are another army I hate, mainly because the players are so type-cast! EMO wannabees, or people that are genuinely dull but want to look like rebels.

post #154 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-23-10, 10:46 AM

Firewolf's Flag is: Scotland

>> I dont have any hatred for the Ultramarines, yeah, they maybe the poster boys, the epitomy of the Codex astartes(Gullman did write it after all) or just plain boring in some peoples eyes. I have noticed a lot of posters on this subject saying "THEY(as in the UM) getting all the new releases/marine releases",. Sorry, but THEY dont, as all Codex marine minis are the base plate for all other Codex chapters. Perhaps if GW started having Imp Fists or White Scars on the boxes, the UM would'nt get as much flack.

------------------------------------------------------
>> This is just an opinion. If you agree with it cool. If ye dont, its still cool.
>> Here I am and here shall I die.
+++ attributed to Leman Russ at the Battle of Rising Fell +++
post #155 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-23-10, 10:58 AM

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

Do Imp Fists even exist anymore?
post #156 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-23-10, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
...It is extremely difficult, psychologically speaking, to value all members of the human race equally (your wife and some drunk thug, for example). It is only logical that we place more importance on people who share our hobbies and outlooks on life than we place on people who do not.
True but I am suggesting we (humans) keep our ethnocentric ideals in check. That's why I apologized. The anthropologist in me rails against biases against other cultures/subcultures. The human in me says that followers that cannot think for themselves need to be helped so they can start doing so. It's a conflict between the opposing ideas of, "To each their own" and "we have to help them see the light".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
I'm not sure that ethnicity could be classed as a subculture... it would depend on how many social norms and values you took up from her native culture, for example if you had to become a practising Jew or Muslim. It would have been your choice at the beginning of the relationship as to whether the pros were worth the cons regarding membership of her own subculture. My girlfriend of 4 years is half-chinese, but because she doesn't have any truly distinct norms and values from British society, her ethnicity was never even a consideration when choosing to date her.
Yes but both "culture" and "sub culture" share ideas in construction. They both have value systems, gender norms, and superstitious/religious beliefs. So an example of loyalty being torn between two opposing cultures is a valid question.

Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know. - Me

Mother nature does not give do overs. - Me too

Last edited by pathwinder14; 03-23-10 at 04:50 PM.
post #157 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-23-10, 04:57 PM

buckythefly's Flag is: USA

I hate them because their everything I want to be... Big, Angry, and Primary Colored...

Hey wait a minute...I already play an army like that.

I'm all for playing this game, but you don't have to be a dick about it.

~Someday I'll play 7th Edition ~
0 Win 0 Losses 0 Draws
post #158 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-23-10, 11:17 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

I hate the ultramarines....because they left me.

They were my very first army, i spent literally minutes tenderly gluing them together and painstakingly slopping paint over each one of them.

I saved up all my pocket money and bought Marneus Calgar. I even glued him to a massive rock, 5 times bigger than his base, which i found in the garden.

I played my first games with them, side by side, brothers in battle. They took wounds, faced casualties, and their pain was my own.

Then afterwards our cries would be triumphant as we looked down upon the bodies of our vanquished foe. We celebrated with fine cuisine and only the most elegant of wines. Then as night night came, we fell asleep in each others arms.

As time went on, we drifted apart. Snide comments and a lapse in conversation at first, and as the days came and went, the passion faded. There are words which linger on my tongue i still wish i could have said.

The fateful day came all too soon. Returning home from school i was devasatated to see my diplay shelves empty, the circular voids in the dust acting only to emphasise how we had grown apart of late.

Fighting back tears i ran to the computer, clicking frantically on the ebay home page. It took 5 attempts to enter my password as my hands trembled in shock, still refusing to believe what i already knew to be true.

As the page loaded, i saw a picture of my ultramarines. It was the picture i took when i finally completed the army. Their radiant smiles looked up at me, transposed through the computer screen, it was like i was seeing them again for the first time, when things were good....when things were perfect.

The tears ran freely now as i glanced across the webpage, reluctantly searching for the five words i dreaded, each uttered syllable striking like a nail through my broken heart:

This auction is now closed.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #159 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-30-10, 11:54 PM

personally i lvoe the ultra's, its what i originally painted my army, and i still think there prity awesome, the reason everyone hates them is cause they want to be different, in truth the ultras could kick any other chapters ass cause there so dam ass big, seriously, without the ultras the empire would have been destroyed long ago. and there color scheme is prity awesome, i even incorporated it into my army (blue and orange) and hold my guys as strong supporters of the ultra's
post #160 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-31-10, 12:08 AM

Their colour scheme can be good, if given a good helping of grimdark (darker shades of paint). Usually though, it turns out hideous.

Their fluff is "we're better ha ha". Dull. Pointless. Irritating.

Seriously, wipe them out! Better them than the Blood Angels.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode