Why do people hate the Ultramarines? - Page 14 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-21-10, 10:12 AM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

The Ultramarines are the fat, smelly kid at school that the teachers constantly push you to play with. The few times I set foot in a GW store the employees immediately recommend all the new SM crap to me. It's really frustrating having GW shove SMs down your throat every opportunity they get. And what boring, do-gooder, ass kissing chapter is featured on all the SM box sets? Ultramarines! Having a higher proportion of young players does not help my oppinion of them either (that's not to say I haven't met some great Ultramarine players). They just represent the pinnacle of Spess Mahreen-ness IMO.

That's why I despise the sons of Roboute Guilliman. I have seen some well painted Ultramarine armies though.

EDIT: wow this thread is old...

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...

Last edited by ChaosRedCorsairLord; 03-21-10 at 10:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-21-10, 11:17 AM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Human beings need a reason to hate something? Last time I checked people hate almost everything for reasons ranging from I don't like the way it looks/smells/feels to just not liking things for reasons as absurd as I once had a dream where X did Y. In other words I doubt much will be gained from asking any question like Why do you hate X.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #133 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-21-10, 11:54 AM
Tel Asra Nejoar's Flag is: United Kingdom

i dont hate the smurfs, i have "issues" with marines in general, though that comes from being a sisters player(its our job to clean your mess). im not too keen on most of the UM stuff, except 4th. company, i bought some marines to paint as 4th. as i like their fluff, it breaks away from the usual "codex astartes is all" mentality, and they got to chill with more members of the inquisition than just about anyone else, without torture

you have been deemed guilty of blasphemy against the holy emperor, for this crime your punishment shall be thus...

1. Clean out the stall of the mighty god-emperor
2. feed the god-emperor 1000 fresh bales of hay everyday.
3. flagelate yourself for 16 hours a day
in the grim darkness of the far future there is only Bela!

post #134 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-21-10, 11:56 AM

chrisman 007's Flag is: Christmas Islands

Location: The People's Glorius Republic of the Chrisman Union. Also known as my bedroom.

They're the n00b army that all the beginners play, that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoRLoKKeD View Post
Buy a beartrap. How will it help in retrospect? Use your imagination. I'm sure you can think of something.
post #135 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-21-10, 12:45 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

The way these arguments are being presented as the UM player lacking character and imagination is just bullsh*t! The same argument could be made (far more validly in my eyes) for anyone who plays Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Black Templars, and Dark Angels, armies I see far more regularly than Ultramarines- in the 10 years I've been in this hobby I've seen precisely 1 Ultramarines force and that was the AoBR set painted up by the staff at GW Stoke for the display case.
post #136 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-21-10, 05:52 PM

^^^ I'm not saying they lack character, I'm saying that 40K does not need a good guy, nor will it ever so long as its tagline and intro remain the same.

(I forgive the tau because they are A)darker than they look, B) will kill my tanks with railguns if I insult them, and C) no one cares because they are going to get eaten by the nids anyway)

"A true king is never alone, his will is equal to the will of all of his followers."
-Alexander the Great, kind of
post #137 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-21-10, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnmarked View Post
Actually I think that it has to do with how popular it is to hate the ultramarine's, in an attempt to be different many people copy others who also be different to the establishment or mom and dad figure (GW) and therefore rebel by hating that which represents it. A bit like Emo kids actually or anyone acting up to be 'Unique and individual' which in reality is just copying someone other than their parents or the established authority.
The short of it has to be that humans just aren't all that original.
Agreed.

My wife and I were discussing "being different". We found that we were "different". However "being different" can stem from 1 of 2 places.

1. You are different as intent (follower):
You aim to be different and cling to any group that rebels against the norm. That group then has it's own "accepted norms" that the people within cling to. In an effort to reject what is held as normal they instead conform to a new set of norms.

2. You are different as a result (Individual):
You question everything. You evaluate all things that society places upon you and as a result find some things lacking. You therefore look for other things that appeal to you and enjoy them regardless if it makes you different or not. What you get is a person that shares some of society's norms and rejects others for something different.

GW as a parent figure to the hobby (society figurehead that sets norms) would probably prefer that everyone plays at least 2 armies; Ultramarines and something else. Some people want to be different and choose anything other than Ultramarines. Other people play whatever army fits their personality be it a power gamer, fluff gamer, painter gamer, etc. and are different because of their choice.

What it all comes down to is: do you aim for your choice to make you different or are you different because of your choice?

Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know. - Me

Mother nature does not give do overs. - Me too
post #138 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-21-10, 06:52 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathwinder14 View Post
Agreed.

My wife and I were discussing "being different". We found that we were "different". However "being different" can stem from 1 of 2 places.

1. You are different as intent (follower):
You aim to be different and cling to any group that rebels against the norm. That group then has it's own "accepted norms" that the people within cling to. In an effort to reject what is held as normal they instead conform to a new set of norms.

2. You are different as a result (Individual):
You question everything. You evaluate all things that society places upon you and as a result find some things lacking. You therefore look for other things that appeal to you and enjoy them regardless if it makes you different or not. What you get is a person that shares some of society's norms and rejects others for something different.
Congratulations, you just summarised a term's worth of my sociology A-level!

The problem is that human beings as a species are social animals. Yes, some people desire solitude, but if you put them in solitary for a month they'd go crazy.

The same is true in less extreme circumstances, while a lot of people want to be "different" they don't want to start eating the wallpaper, because it influences the liklihood of them having social relationships. It also doesn't taste very nice.

It's the reason Emo kids are emo. If they wanted to be truly different, they'd dye their hair neon orange, habitually listen to classical music and take up breakdancing. It's much more easy to be "different" by "being the same as a smaller subset of society" than it is to be "totally unique".

Option 1 and 2 have no inherent merit, though your use of language implies otherwise. It's simply a way of labelling how much social contact an individual requires.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #139 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-21-10, 07:05 PM

Cato Sicarius's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklove View Post
UMs are not cool because they, and Orks, are the army that every 8 year old playes. 8 year olds are not cool. I do tend to think less of someone if I find out they collect UMs - they lack character and imagination.
'Round these parts 8 year old's aren't allowed to play.
post #140 of 266 (permalink) Old 03-21-10, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
Congratulations, you just summarised a term's worth of my sociology A-level!
Thanks. I take that as a compliment.

Quote:
The problem is that human beings as a species are social animals. Yes, some people desire solitude, but if you put them in solitary for a month they'd go crazy.
Prolly true.

Quote:
The same is true in less extreme circumstances, while a lot of people want to be "different" they don't want to start eating the wallpaper, because it influences the liklihood of them having social relationships. It also doesn't taste very nice.

It's the reason Emo kids are emo. If they wanted to be truly different, they'd dye their hair neon orange, habitually listen to classical music and take up breakdancing. It's much more easy to be "different" by "being the same as a smaller subset of society" than it is to be "totally unique".
Agreed.

Quote:
Option 1 and 2 have no inherent merit, though your use of language implies otherwise.
What do you mean?

Quote:
It's simply a way of labelling how much social contact an individual requires.
Or how much a person wants to be associated with society.

Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know. - Me

Mother nature does not give do overs. - Me too

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode