Ally Suggestions - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-16, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Ally Suggestions

Hello,

It has been a plan to add some support to my Mechanicus in the form of a small ally force, no higher than 750pts but no less than 500pts, preferably one that can fill a role that my current force lacks. At first I thought it would be a Deathwatch kill-team, but after seeing the rules and some commentary by Xabre I have changed my mind. However now i'm unsure who should be supporting my army.

This is a summary of my list;

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotN
HQ: Tech-Priest Dominus (Standard armament & Anzion's Pseudogenerator)

Elites: 1 Ruststalker Squad (Transonic blades & Omniscient Mask)

Troops: 2 10-man Vanguard Squads (1 w/Plasmas, 1 w/Arc Rifles) & 1 10-man Ranger Squad (3 Arquebuses) & 1 3-unit Servitor squad (w/Heavy Grav-cannons & Flamers)

Fast Attack: 2 Dragoons w/Taser Lances

Heavy Support: 2 Dunecrawlers (1 w/Neutron Laser, 1 w/Icarus Array) & 1 Kastellan Unit (Phosphor Blasters & Uncreator Gauntlet)

(Comes to 1850pts)
So as you can see, lots of range, little melee. Really the point of this list, a relentless gunline. But what ally could best complement my Mechanicus, suggestions are sought and welcome.

Edit: One idea I came up with myself is two 5-man GK Interceptor squads to aid the Ruststalkers in assaulting the enemy rear, attacking vulnerable squads and forcing my opponent to divide his forces.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 02-24-16 at 09:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-16, 12:38 AM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Oh god. All my fault.

So here's my first question:

Are you playing Unbound? Because of the way the rules are set up for Battleforged army, and because I *assume* you want your Dominus to be the warlord, you would need one more squad of Servitors.

Otherwise... Hmm. So you want something in close combat? What about Space Wolf Void Claws? It's a formation of 5-10 terminators, all with lightning claws. You can add cyclone missiles if you wanted (1 per 5), and they deep strike in turn 1 guaranteed. Oh, and they're WS5 in that formation.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-16, 02:24 AM

Tyriks's Flag is: USA

I've been wondering about this, too. I have, as of now, no thoughts, but I am interested to see what people contribute.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-16, 12:51 PM

Drohar's Flag is: United Kingdom

My suggestion would be SM formation: 1st company task force
3x squads of 5-man Vanguard vets with jump packs.
Give the Veteran sergeant a relic blade.
4x (the rest) Lightning claws
1 lucky on gets meltabombs
1 lucky one gets grav pistol

comes to 165pt per squad to a total 495pt. I haven't played a marines and only faced them a few times, so don't know how effective they are. You might be able to kit them better.

Considering they are ok in assault (2 attacks + 1 for pistol and CC +1 for charge +1 HoW for using jump packs, I got this right?)

Jump packs make them manouverable and having deep strike you can get them up the board quickly.

Formation bonus gives you fearless and fear. Also a -2 Ld penalty if enemy is within 12" of units - fairly useless, but the next:

You get to nominate 1 enemy unit and you get preferred enemy against it. A lone warlord - deep strike - grav pistol. Or some other suitable threat for a quick takedown.

EDIT: also choose a nice chapter tactics to buff your units - Raven Guard?

Might not be good, but at least something

Last edited by Drohar; 02-25-16 at 12:54 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-16, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drohar View Post
My suggestion would be SM formation: 1st company task force
3x squads of 5-man Vanguard vets with jump packs.
Give the Veteran sergeant a relic blade.
4x (the rest) Lightning claws
1 lucky on gets meltabombs
1 lucky one gets grav pistol

comes to 165pt per squad to a total 495pt. I haven't played a marines and only faced them a few times, so don't know how effective they are. You might be able to kit them better.

Considering they are ok in assault (2 attacks + 1 for pistol and CC +1 for charge +1 HoW for using jump packs, I got this right?)

Jump packs make them manouverable and having deep strike you can get them up the board quickly.

Formation bonus gives you fearless and fear. Also a -2 Ld penalty if enemy is within 12" of units - fairly useless, but the next:

You get to nominate 1 enemy unit and you get preferred enemy against it. A lone warlord - deep strike - grav pistol. Or some other suitable threat for a quick takedown.

EDIT: also choose a nice chapter tactics to buff your units - Raven Guard?

Might not be good, but at least something
Ravenguard actually get a better (in my opinion) formation called the Bladewing Brotherhood.

It's 1-2 squads of Vanguard Vets, and 2-4 squads of Assault Marines, and then a captain or chaplain.

The VanVets could be tooled up in all sorts of fun ways: Power Weapons, Lightning Claws, PowerFist/Lightning Claw, Gunslinger (two different types of pistols), etc. The Assault Marines can take flamers, and then in each unit you can give them an Eviscerator or two (depending on skize), which is like a powerfist with free armorbane. And the Captain/Chaplain can take a RG-specific awesome jump pack and some sick lightning claws.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-16, 04:36 PM

Drohar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre View Post
Ravenguard actually get a better (in my opinion) formation called the Bladewing Brotherhood.

It's 1-2 squads of Vanguard Vets, and 2-4 squads of Assault Marines, and then a captain or chaplain.

The VanVets could be tooled up in all sorts of fun ways: Power Weapons, Lightning Claws, PowerFist/Lightning Claw, Gunslinger (two different types of pistols), etc. The Assault Marines can take flamers, and then in each unit you can give them an Eviscerator or two (depending on skize), which is like a powerfist with free armorbane. And the Captain/Chaplain can take a RG-specific awesome jump pack and some sick lightning claws.
I didn't know that even existed - where can you find that?
I think that formation would be better with cheaper assault marines with flamers taking a bit of the heat from the vanguard vets. Having a Captain or Chaplain would be great assist to the force in my opinion.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-16, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drohar View Post
I didn't know that even existed - where can you find that?
I think that formation would be better with cheaper assault marines with flamers taking a bit of the heat from the vanguard vets. Having a Captain or Chaplain would be great assist to the force in my opinion.
You can find it in Kau'yon, or the new digital Raven Guard supplement (which is basically just the Kau'yon stuff, a little fluff, and the core Marine rules).

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-16, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Quote:
So here's my first question:

Are you playing Unbound? Because of the way the rules are set up for Battleforged army, and because I *assume* you want your Dominus to be the warlord, you would need one more squad of Servitors.
That's a... tricky question, given the current Mech rules. I am playing a Skitarii Maniple army, however the Tech-Priest Dominus can be fielded as part of a Skitarii army using the new formation from the Start Collecting box. But he is technically, at the moment at least, a Cult Mech unit, which means I should be able to count him as both part of a Skitarii Maniple (and the Warlord of it) and Cult Mech Battle Congregation. So I should, in theory (probably not though) be able to field all these units as one force.

Quote:
Otherwise... Hmm. So you want something in close combat? What about Space Wolf Void Claws? It's a formation of 5-10 terminators, all with lightning claws. You can add cyclone missiles if you wanted (1 per 5), and they deep strike in turn 1 guaranteed. Oh, and they're WS5 in that formation.
Well I want something that will best complement my force. If that's some melee to address the lack of it in the army then perhaps, but I won't discount more range. Perhaps a heavier more durable range unit would serve me better than additional melee...maybe. Space Wolves is an interesting idea, could go that route.

Quote:

Hm, like the sound of this. Definitely a possibility. So three five-man squads, one VanVets and the other RegAssaults (which I would just use more VanVet figures for because one VanVet box costs the same as a box of RegAssaults, GW's poor sense there benefits us nicely)

What I myself wonder about are GK Interceptors and Purgators as support. Not only would they add to the army, Interceptors would add to it's low melee and Purgators would provide a nice heavy range hammer, but they would also give me some psyker power. Which at the moment the Mechanicus as a faction utterly lacks, both actual psyker ability and anti-psyker ability. A Culexes Assassin would address the latter nicely, but the former is another matter.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 02-25-16 at 06:07 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-16, 06:15 PM

Tyriks's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
That's a... tricky question, given the current Mech rules. I am playing a Skitarii Maniple army, however the Tech-Priest Dominus can be fielded as part of a Skitarii army using the new formation from the Start Collecting box. But he is technically, at the moment at least, a Cult Mech unit, which means I should be able to count him as both part of a Skitarii Maniple (and the Warlord of it) and Cult Mech Battle Congregation. So I should, in theory (probably not though) be able to field all these units as one force.
Actually, no unit can ever be part of more than one formation or detachment unless the rules for that formation explicitly say they can. So, unfortunately, the Dominus can't be in a Dominus Maniple and the Battle Congregation. The Dominus Maniple is its own detachment, though, so you could field it alongside your Skitarii Maniple and have him be the warlord, but he wouldn't be part of a Skitarii Maniple or the Congregation.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-16, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriks View Post
Actually, no unit can ever be part of more than one formation or detachment unless the rules for that formation explicitly say they can. So, unfortunately, the Dominus can't be in a Dominus Maniple and the Battle Congregation. The Dominus Maniple is its own detachment, though, so you could field it alongside your Skitarii Maniple and have him be the warlord, but he wouldn't be part of a Skitarii Maniple or the Congregation.
Hmm, shame. Well either way it works out, the Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus are going to be merged this Summer with a Codex re-release, so eventually this army list will be an acceptable FoC.

LotN

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode