40k Space Marine Devastator Squad Query - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-16, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Beaker's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default 40k Space Marine Devastator Squad Query

Hi, (Sorry if anyone has already read this I posted it to the wrong section originally - lesson learned!)

I wish to make 2 x 10 man Ultramarine Devastator squads.

I have one set of the older style devastators and one set of the newer models.

At the moment I have 2 x 5 man squads of the following:-

1 sergeant, 2 lascannons and 2 missile launchers
1 sergeant, 2 multi-melta and 2 heavy bolters
(both built from the older figures and additional tactical space marine bodies).

I have not built up the new set of figures and was looking for advice before I do so

To make these correct for gaming can I still use 5 tactical marines for each squad and use the new models for another army i.e. Dark Angels or would it be better to replicate the models in each squad with the newer models i.e. 2 sergeants, 4 lascannons and 4 missile launchers?

Thanks in advance
Donald
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-16, 10:10 PM
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
At the moment I have 2 x 5 man squads of the following:-

1 sergeant, 2 lascannons and 2 missile launchers
1 sergeant, 2 multi-melta and 2 heavy bolters
(both built from the older figures and additional tactical space marine bodies).

To make these correct for gaming can I still use 5 tactical marines for each squad and use the new models for another army i.e. Dark Angels or would it be better to replicate the models in each squad with the newer models i.e. 2 sergeants, 4 lascannons and 4 missile launchers?

Thanks in advance
Donald
Not 100% sure what exactly your asking here?

Is it ok to still ok to be using older models? YES unless the model doesn't show what its armed with or is a completely different style (aka old broadsides and new broadsides which is a much larger model).

Apart from that arm them for whatever role you need them to fill, often it seems that missles are a decent choice for standard devistators, unless you have the plan if running them up in a rhino or droppod then maybe grav or melta.

As to the extra bodies YES you can still take them the rules are that up to 4 can take a special weapon where as the squad size can be up to 10 models.

Hope that helps. If not clarify a little more and I'll try again.

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-16, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Battman that helps a lot - my main query was whether I could still use 5 tactical marines as the second set of 5 men in the 10 man squad - I was originally told in my GW store that it was assumed that if say a model equipped with a lascannon in the front row was killed that one of the standard tactical marine models would pick up his weapon.

From what you say it is still ok to do this again I was told at one stage in my local GW store that 8 models in the 10 man squad had to be armed with the heavy weapons - what you see is what you get?

If I make up a new set using 1 sergeant, 2 gravity what other weapon would you recommend to use in this squad with the grav- cannon - I was not planning on using a rhino for transport.

Thanks agsin I knew when typing the query it would be difficult to understand

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-16, 09:25 AM
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

Not too sure on the multiple heavy weapons, unless your playing 30k. Unless the newest book changed that.

As to the lascannon picking up, this used to be a rule in 4th edition where in standard squads wounds didn't really matter where shooting was coming from you could keep your heavy weapons. Currently in 7th basically the closest model cops the shot. So if it your lascannon bad luck. Unless your group has a house rule thats different.

As to the loadout, really something to complement the grav weapons, most likely something that can also move a shoot aka basically bolters rapid firing. Or the other heavy weapons will have to snap shoot.

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-16, 12:13 PM
Thordis

Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Thanks Battman that helps a lot - my main query was whether I could still use 5 tactical marines as the second set of 5 men in the 10 man squad - I was originally told in my GW store that it was assumed that if say a model equipped with a lascannon in the front row was killed that one of the standard tactical marine models would pick up his weapon.

From what you say it is still ok to do this again I was told at one stage in my local GW store that 8 models in the 10 man squad had to be armed with the heavy weapons - what you see is what you get?

If I make up a new set using 1 sergeant, 2 gravity what other weapon would you recommend to use in this squad with the grav- cannon - I was not planning on using a rhino for transport.

Thanks agsin I knew when typing the query it would be difficult to understand
up to 4 space marines may have heavy weapons, even in a 10 man squad. the SGT may take items from the ranged weapons and/or the melee weapons lists.
I personaly have Devastator squad with 2 grav cannons and 2 heavy bolters, but I haven't tested it yet.

I don't know about picking up the heavy weapons of dead devestators. generaly the idea is that the model closest to where the shots came from are killed and their wargear lost.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-16, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Haskanael & Battman that clarifies everything for me.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-16, 02:17 PM

ArkInRev's Flag is: USA

In 7th, you definitely remove the closest model and do not pick up the weapon as Battman said.

As for the other 5 marines, they are just standard marines if the default group grabs 4 heavy weapons. Some of my marines have the tactical arrow on their shoulder, and I've never had someone try to say that I can't use them because their shoulderpad identifies them as tactical. There's also no rule that would enforce that fluff ruling that I am aware of.

I don't have the book in front of me, but in 7th edition, I'm certain that there is a limit of 4 heavy weapons in a devastator squad.

Those are 2 bits of game-changing misinformation for that unit from the GW shop. Closest models die, and loadouts are not able to be transferred from dead models.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-16, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks ArkInRev for your help

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode