40k fix at the meta level? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-16, 09:40 PM
Rattlehead

In other news, fluff players think that tournament players are WAAC jerks and hate them for trying to win, and tournament players think that casual players are self-righteous whiners who try to passive-aggressively force their way of playing onto everyone else.

Pro tip: both groups are right.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 02-02-16 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-16, 07:49 AM
Feed

I don't think the 40k tournament scene has been all that strong since the ending of 4th ed. Not in my local scene at least. Went downhill after the first couple tournaments in 5th ed and neither 6th nor 7th have re-invigorated. The last few editions simply haven't lent themselves well to competitive play imo.

You could always just play 4th ed rules or earlier if you know them and incorporate the extra rules for flyers and such.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-16, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
I think it sounds like a good idea

That said my favourite system I know of is composition scores. So if you play 6 tournament games you rank your opponents' lists 1-6, with 6 being the fluffiest/most fun list and 1 being the furthest from fluff. You have to rank your opponents, so you can't just give the highest score to everybody. That way if you turn up with five wraithknights you might win all of your games but if everyone is giving your list a composition score of 1 you won't actually win the event

That system isn't going to work outside of a tournament but for casual games if your opponent isn't considering your enjoyment and trying to make it fun for both people, just don't play with them again
that was the way it used to be done, back in the day when right was true and true, right.
i think that what i am talking about here is basically a real-time live interactive comp

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-16, 08:27 AM
Rattlehead

I think if it had a system for not penalising regularly-taken units that weren't that good (Fire Warriors, Tactical Marines etc.) it's certainly be a better system than the old peer comp (which doesn't work - you play, you lose, you give your opponent a low comp score because you're salty about losing, he gets salty because you screwed him on comp, nobody's a winner).
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-16, 02:57 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

I'll honestly say that I preferred it when only troops could claim objectives - as opposed to having "Objective Secured" or whatever that rule is called.

----

In general I think Assault needs to be buffed somewhat across the board so that there is more options to 1) list building 2) play styles 3) fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-16, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
I'll honestly say that I preferred it when only troops could claim objectives - as opposed to having "Objective Secured" or whatever that rule is called.

----

In general I think Assault needs to be buffed somewhat across the board so that there is more options to 1) list building 2) play styles 3) fun

me too.
i liked it when only troops could claim objectives, too.
that fixes a lot.

about the rest, there are always options for list building for fun.
but one might also argue that the real problem with assaults has something to do with something else,
shooting is too powerful, blasty d flame templates everywhere on allied transports provided by the evil twin race which in my opinion should not be so close as to lend their skimmers to a bunch of dead goodies in bone suits... that is so stupid it makes my head hurt.

i am most sensitive to your play styles thing. and that is really the point. there is no reason that the old tourney ideal couldn't happen even within the existing competitive 40k community. industries evolve. this one needs to and this is the future of this evolution if it is going to evolve. anyways, just the picture i see going forward. i am happy to have had the issue get so much attention.

Last edited by jin; 02-06-16 at 02:16 AM.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-16, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
I think if it had a system for not penalising regularly-taken units that weren't that good (Fire Warriors, Tactical Marines etc.) it's certainly be a better system than the old peer comp (which doesn't work - you play, you lose, you give your opponent a low comp score because you're salty about losing, he gets salty because you screwed him on comp, nobody's a winner).
no doubt!

but still, losing to wraithguard in allied dark eldar skimmers is black biskits.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-16, 08:39 PM
Rattlehead

Yeah, it's a nasty unit combo - Imperial armies often don't care (I have Ultramarines and Guard - against the former, I have nothing worth dropping 5 Distort Scythe guns on that's not Invisible and you bet you're at the top of the Grav kill list, and against the later you've bought some mighty expensive heavy flamers), but it can really do a number on Tyranids, Orks, other Eldar and anyone who's not prepared for it regardless of list.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-16, 08:53 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Just because I'd like to see some change to 40k, I'll post a PDF of what changes that I would like to see changed.

NOTE: if you plan on actually reading the PDF I highly recommend for you to have the 7th ed BRB out with you, because for several changes it only changes a single sentence or so (LoS for example)

I hate the current version of the Psychic phase, I have to some degree completely retooled that phase.

I omitted my "erratas" to the codexs because 1) half of them were out dated/got a new codex 2) I generally do not find much issue with the codexs themselves - in view of CAD/Force Org requirements styles for the game 3) I don't like formations and I don't want to fuck with them/piss a bunch of people off.

----

Lastly please note that this is very much rough drafty, I personally do not play a whole lot of 40k anymore and this has been my pet "project" whenever it has excited me, and it hasn't really be play tested.

If anyone does play test these and would like to tell me their findings - feel free to PM me your results and thoughts; besides that - please enjoy and comment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Homebrew 40k Errata (no Armies).pdf (293.1 KB, 0 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-16, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
Just because I'd like to see some change to 40k, I'll post a PDF of what changes that I would like to see changed.

NOTE: if you plan on actually reading the PDF I highly recommend for you to have the 7th ed BRB out with you, because for several changes it only changes a single sentence or so (LoS for example)

I hate the current version of the Psychic phase, I have to some degree completely retooled that phase.

I omitted my "erratas" to the codexs because 1) half of them were out dated/got a new codex 2) I generally do not find much issue with the codexs themselves - in view of CAD/Force Org requirements styles for the game 3) I don't like formations and I don't want to fuck with them/piss a bunch of people off.

----

Lastly please note that this is very much rough drafty, I personally do not play a whole lot of 40k anymore and this has been my pet "project" whenever it has excited me, and it hasn't really be play tested.

If anyone does play test these and would like to tell me their findings - feel free to PM me your results and thoughts; besides that - please enjoy and comment.
7 pages...
i looked at it but already almost 4am.
my head is mush.
tomorrow...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Tags
40k , broken , itc , rules

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode