Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

What if an entire Blood Angels company succumbed to the Black Rage?

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Tyriks 
#1 ·
I am about to embark on collecting, building and painting a Blood Angels force as If they have all succumbed to the black rage. (You can go check out the list in the Space Marine section).

All units are going to use Death company model parts where possible and will all be painted black with the red cross. There will be no actual death company in my army. This is so I wont have to say, these are the slayers, but oh by the way, they are the only ones there.

Now what is important to me is background and this is what I want to run past you

"During transportation between systems X company started to see an increased amount of Soldiers succumb to the black rage. They were handled the best they can but it quickly grew into an epidemic and Commander Y who was yet to succumb, issued an emergency signal to all BA companies and was forced to crash land on a nearby deserted planet as a final act of desperation in order to keep the truth from coming out. Well it was believed to be deserted and now there can be no survivors if the Inquisition are never to find out"

Its still WIP but like your thoughts and any ideas you have on it of your own

See less See more
#7 ·
Certainly sounds like an interesting idea, many different modeling opportunities for you. Just a couple of thoughts for the fluff side if your really getting into it:

Black rage is often described as being a psykic backlash/seeing the primarch die and all. Possibilities for fluff to be focused around either warp transition or even combat with a heavily psykic army (thinking nids or thousand suns) which somehow triggers the reation.

Have you also consided expanding some of your own lore in regards to large out breaks of the black rage, thinking along the lines of the red thirst to full blown black rage, showing how each falls to the rage? Some are ment to have some resistance (even if very little) to resist the fall and remain somewhat coherent.

Apart from that is anyone else getting a real "Angry Marines" vibe from this idea?

#8 ·
There will be no actual death company in my army. This is so I wont have to say, these are the slayers, but oh by the way, they are the only ones there.
This just kills me, playing BA without using Death Company. Absolutely painful. I know there's a theme and I helped you build your list but still. I'd be using a pair of Strike Force Mortalis Formations so my guys were as crazy on the table as they were in my fluff.

Regardless of the model choice though, I'm pretty sure that BA just get put into stasis when they fall to the Black Rage. Crashing into a planet seems...too human. Too much panic involved in that decision considering that this event, while on a larger scale than others, is something every 'higher up' in the Blood Angels knows about and monitors very closely. They're basically waiting for/expecting this to happen eventually.

#9 ·
Regardless of the model choice though, I'm pretty sure that BA just get put into stasis when they fall to the Black Rage. Crashing into a planet seems...too human. Too much panic involved in that decision considering that this event, while on a larger scale than others, is something every 'higher up' in the Blood Angels knows about and monitors very closely. They're basically waiting for/expecting this to happen eventually.
This got me thinking and is something that I can incorporate into some fan fiction campaign I am writing.

Now instead of crashing, the cruiser ran out of stasis pods and instead had to make an emergency landing on a nearby planets polar ice fields to place soldiers into 'field' stasis (Like field hospitals but for stasis) before X happens

#10 ·
If I were a BA Commander and knew my entire company was uncontrollably falling to the Black Rage I would point my ship at the nearest enemy planet and murderate as many foes of the Emperor as I could.

Why wouldn't they call back to the main BA fleet for assistance?

#15 ·
You could also claim some traitor legion/daemons/xenos have some new (or newly rediscovered) weapon/spell/trick that triggers it, so the barely-lucid captain realizes he needs to kill them and destroy the plot device BEFORE reinforcements show up to avoid damning them, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.