Chaos Daemons - Good for Inexperienced Players? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-15, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Chaos Daemons - Good for Inexperienced Players?

Title pretty much says it all. To all veteran Daemon players here I ask, do you think Chaos Daemons would make a good army for a player who has some experience of the game but not a lot?

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-15, 06:16 PM

LordOfTheWolves's Flag is: United Kingdom

In my opinion, that is completely dependent on what army, if any, you have played before.

The thing about chaos is the amount of note-taking and the randomness of playing them, which can add a good 15-30 minutes to game before you even start! I was at a tournament where we only got to turn 2 as the guy spent 45 minutes rolling all his gifts and psychic powers.

But when you're actually playing I'd say they are pretty quick to pick up, especially if you still remember the old the fearless rules!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-15, 07:25 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

I would say that it's a good army, if you have some experience with the game and know the basics. If turns, psychic abilities and the general flow of the game isn't a strain on your memory, then it can be a fun way to play the game.

Speaking from experience, I started out with Chaos Space Marines, which I collected and played for about 6 months. After I got the basic of the game down and had a decent flow, I switched to Daemons as I could now remember all the warp storm stuff, the gifts, the psychic abilities and whatnot. I would have been completely lost if it was my first army, as it has so many things you need to remember, beyond the standard game.

It depends on the player methinks - I know players who still gets confused about things to remember in the standard game after years of play, and I know players who just feels at home in the ruleset after 3 months. If the player is good with the rules, I would definitely say yes.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-15, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

As to my previous experience I currently collect Dark Eldar, CSMs and Skitarii and have played a grand total of three 1500pt games in 5th edition with the first... and that is it.

I truly have no idea about my capacity for rules memory in 40k, but I do tend to be good at recalling such things in other games.

I do like the sound of a psychic-heavy army though, and a nearly pure melee army like Daemons would be a good counterpoint to my nearly all ranged DE and Skitarii and my mixed CSMs. And they could be added alongside my CSMs as a second formation.

Really worth thinking about I suppose.

LotN
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-15, 04:36 PM
alt-f4's Flag is: Belgium

Daemons is not an easy army, IMHO : it's close combat oriented, includes many specific rules with related dice throwing, needs to manage flying/swooping modes and moves for FMC, ...

But that runs both sides : your opponent may be troubled by unexpected effects and unknown units (I've experienced it with the Skull Cannon that seems often to be considered as a higher threat than it is in reality).

The advantages I see for you is that you're not unexperienced and you already have a CSM army, allowing you to field up Daemons step-by-step as Allied Detachment before running a full Daemon army ;)

The Serrated Flame : a First Heretics army

- Primordial Truth is Humanity's only salvation -
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-15, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt-f4 View Post
The advantages I see for you is that you're not unexperienced and you already have a CSM army, allowing you to field up Daemons step-by-step as Allied Detachment before running a full Daemon army ;)
Uh actually there is a roblem there. I don't have all my CSMs yet, I lack the HQ and some of the army isn't even assembled yet. Some of it is painted, some half-painted, some primed, some assembled and some not. And I want to have them fully finished before I play with them.

I would probably run the Daemons fully right away, get them all assembled and primed and then slowly paint them up while playing with them simultaneously, rather than the paint then play strategy i've adopted for the other three armies.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode