Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-15, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus

Hey there,

Simple question. I have a Skitarii army and would like to add Cult Mechanicus units to it. Can these two armies actually be merged into a single list, no formations and the like. Just an army that consists of units from both Codexs?

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-15, 07:01 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Aren't Skitarii units also in the Cult Mechanicum book but the Skitarii book offers different Special Rules? I always assumed it was akin to the Militarum Tempestus and Astra Militarum books where you could play Scions in an AM list but if you wanted a Scions with all the fancy rules you had to take some second Detachment from the Scion book in addition to your AM one.

...if that makes sense. I haven't converted my Mechanicus book to .pdf yet for proper rules absorption so I don't really know if the same applies.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-15, 03:53 PM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Short answer: No, unless Unbound.

Long Answer: You have to use Allies. Unlike the Scions that @ntaw was mentioning, Skitarii and CultMech are treated as two distinct armies.

Cult Mechanicus has quite a few options to put together a list with:

Battle Congregation: Their own personal take on a CAD, with 1 HQ, 2 troops, and optional units.
Cohort Cybernetica: Formation, 1 HQ and 2 units of Kastelan Robots (with their tech-priests), all played as a single unit.
Elimination Maniple: Formation, 2-3 units of Destroyers, 1-3 units of Kastelans
Numinous Conclave: Formation, lots of Electro Priests
Holy Requisitioner: Formation, 1 HQ and 2-3 units of Breachers

It sounds like you already have Skitarii, so I'll skip them. Basically you can take any of what I listed above (or a CAD, you could technically use that also), and play it side by side with your Skitarii.

Note: The ONLY time that Skitarii will benefit from CultMech powers is if you use a War Convocation, as per White Dwarf 69.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-15, 07:40 PM

So the unit options in the Skitarii book aren't offered in the Cult Mechanicus book as well?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-15, 07:52 PM

Correct. They are two unique books, and you don't see the same models in either.

Yes, this is a blatant GW cash grab: between the two books you'd still have less options than any Marines codex, so making two was just to be greedy.

Cult Mech: 1 HQ, 2 Troops, 2 Elites, 1 Heavy.
Skitarii: 2 Troops, 2 Elite, 1 Fast, 1 Heavy.

Basically Skitarii play a little more like guard or Tau... a few vehicles, a few basic troops. Cult Mech are the 'big infantry', like bike marines or terminators.

Like running two different marine chapters, they can be played side by side within their formations. ONLY the War Convocation Formation from WD69 allows them to be one large 'universal' army... it's like the Mechanicus equivalent of a Gladius or Decurion. And that technically needs a THIRD book, because an Oathsworn Knight detachment is required.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-15, 08:04 PM

oh, GW. Thanks for clearing that up!

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-15, 06:50 PM

Default Cash grab

I feel like there were two reasons for splitting the Mechanicus armies;

1. Obvious cash grab, as Xabre said
2. So they could put "Adeptus Mechanicus:" on the front of both and feel like they had made another faction as big as the Astartes.

Bring back old Necrons!
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/b...he-old-necrons
Vote on Necron fluff;
http://goo.gl/6MiUOT
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-15, 09:03 PM

Tyriks's Flag is: USA

Yeah, I had the same question but saw in the codices when they describe formation that CM has its faction as Cult Mechanicus and the Skitarii have the faction Skitarii, so unfortunately no overlap. I wish they were all one army, though, since it looks like both are weak where the other is strong.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-15, 09:15 PM

The fluff behind it is that the skitarri are a military force - and if you look at it, there are no non-infantry units. No giant robots or cyborgs. Either it's infantry-sized models (rangers/vanguards), heavily modified infantry (sicarian), or vehicles which are assumedly being piloted by those infantry.

Then you get the Cult Mechanicus, which isn't really military at all, and instead more like the fanatical miltiary arm... a lot like Inquisition or the Priests from IG.

Faction-wise, TECHNICALLY, they are all 'Armies of the Imperium'. AdMech is not a faction.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode