30k help - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-15, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Rhyu's Flag is: USA

Default 30k help

hello I am looking for help..
I am wanting to do a pre heresy 30k army/legion but I am having a hard time deciding what army to do and what army fits my play style. I am looking for an army that are a good all around army with good shooting and close combat and good vehicle combat. That had a primarch that is hard to kill and has good close combat and possibly ranged combat .. Can anyone Help me please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-15, 08:12 AM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

Hey, first off, welcome to the 30k scene!

A word of advice before I go any further. For me, more than 40k, 30k is about a balance of fluff and tabletop ability. For example, you get more people playing the non-top-tier legions because they love the fluff/models than I think you do in 40k. Equally, if you are hoping for some game breaking tactics you are unlikely to find them here. There are some legions that are better than others but none that are so good that you may as well pack up when someone brings them, like you would with Eldar or something. Overall, it's much more balanced and generally a more even-keel mindset than 40k I feel.

Now that that preamble is out of the way, let's talk legions. At the moment the ones that probably best fit your bill are loyalist legions, namely the Imperial Fists or the Ultramarines. Both have quite good shooting and the Templars/Suzerines are murderous psychos in combat. Both Dorn and Guilliman are ok Primarch, probably not the hardest to kill but also not baby harp seals either. Guilliman is probably better than Dorn but the Imperial Fists Legiones Astartes is probably better than the Ultramarines.

On the traitors side, the Alpha Legion are a popular choice since you have the option of 4 special rules including infiltrate or tank hunter that you can give to your whole army, which can make them pretty potent. Iron warriors are a solid choice too and with all Volkite Terror Squad the Night Lords aren't slouches either.

Basically there's a couple from each 'side' that fit your brief, mainly because apart from a few special units all the legions get access to the same things so most of their ability in combat/shooting come from any rules they have and even if you doesn't have one rule the other does, then they both still have the same guns. I would have a look at the fluff of the legions and which ones have model/a paint scheme you like and then go from there because, odds are, your legion can do what you want it too regardless of which one it is.

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-15, 04:30 PM

DelvarusThePitFighter's Flag is: United Kingdom

Your description of what you want is a little vague - you've said that you want good vehicles, good CC, good ranged combat, a tough primarch who's good at CC and ranged. You can't have it all

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-15, 04:40 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Not that I dislike 30k at all, but isn't it more balanced because everyone almost has identical armies? I know there's little tweaks here and there for flavour, but marines are marines only seems to go so far with me.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-15, 04:53 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Not that I dislike 30k at all, but isn't it more balanced because everyone almost has identical armies? I know there's little tweaks here and there for flavour, but marines are marines only seems to go so far with me.
Nah, Legiones Astartes is pretty huge and the Rites of War (kinda like alternative Detachments) as well as the Legion-specific Troops can make all the difference. I think there's the potential to break the game just as much as in 40k (hello, Lorgar guaranteed to know Invisibility casting on a 3+), but 30k tends to attract a different playerbase who are less into the whole 'I am the greatest warhamsé who ever was or will be' mindset.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 11-06-15 at 04:57 PM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-15, 07:14 PM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
(hello, Lorgar guaranteed to know Invisibility casting on a 3)
Sorry Lorgar's been nerfed he can't pick Telepathy spells anymore as per an FAQ.

All I can say to the original poster is not so much as pick the legion that plays well but pick one which you enjoy colour wise as you will paint a lot of it!

Plus if marines aren't your thing there is always Solar Auxilia or Mechanicum to consider.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-15, 08:44 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Newman View Post
Sorry Lorgar's been nerfed he can't pick Telepathy spells anymore as per an FAQ.
I don't think I'm going to cry over it, to be honest.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-06-15, 09:24 PM
GuiltySparc's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Its [more] balanced because everyone has access to (basically) the same set of wargear. Its interesting because all the legions play pretty differently due to their legion specific rules and units. Its really not marine vs. marine at anything more than the surface level.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-15, 07:10 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

I guess I'll give the Legion specific stuff another read to see how they tweak things. I noticed some different units in what I read over already as well as unique wargear, but calling this anything but a Marine party seems odd.

In reference to the topic of the thread though, think some of you more experienced 30k'ers out there could maybe list the Legions available and cliff notes on their strengths/weaknesses?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-07-15, 02:35 PM
GuiltySparc's Flag is: USA

This is a great summary of all the units, legion rules, and legion specific units.

http://warpstoneflux.blogspot.co.uk/...-page.html?m=1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode